Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug

Thread: Joes stone crabs

Default Joes stone crabs

So I'm from jersey & we get our fair share of good seafood, but everyone keeps talking about Joe's stone crabs. Are they really that good?!! So I'm finally going this Thurs/Fri for the first time... any suggestions/opinions??

rk

I never tried the stone crabs, but it is a well known restaurant for a long time, so they're probably decent. But it might be a moot point as they don't serve them during the summer (end of May to end of Oct). They have a different dinner menu during the summer, which you can check their web site:

http://www.joesstonecrab.com/index.html

Note the limited summer hours and also closed for lunch during summer.

I went there and after a 40 minute wait, we were served previously frozen stone crabs. To be fair it was the end of the season, but they should just say "Sorry we're not serving them" rather than serve ones that have been frozen.

The best stone crabs in SoBe I've had were at Smith and Wolensky..you can get them as an appetizer.

For fresh Florida seafood you can do gulf shrimp, grouper, and snapper..I'm sure there are tons more.

For nice seafood with an Italian spin try Alta Mar on Lincoln Rd or for a Latin flair try Ola.

I also don't eat seafood, but everyone I've talked to has said it's nothing special. Like you can find stone crabs just as good at other good restaurants in the area. I think it's just sort of a landmark. The service is really good, I will say. But anything other than the stone crabs is just flat out not good. The Take Away spot is godo for lunch and stuff, though.

Take away is closed for the summer, unfortunately.

Christy makes some great suggestions. Also, try Monty's in South Beach, mon-fri from 4-7 PM. They have a great raw bar at decent happy hour prices. But you won't find stone crabs anywhere now, at least not fresh ones.

Default Re: Joes stone crabs

Thanx a ton u guys, I will let u know how my experience is

I've been to Joe's once. Overall it was a good experience. Great service and the food was actually good. I remember having stone crabs and as a side dish the creamy garlic spinach and the hashed brown potatoes. The key Lime pie is also really good. Hope you enjoy it as well

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Just a heads up that unless you are pulling the crabs out of the trap, you aren't getting completely fresh stone crab. The crab claw is cooked immediately after catching then 'flash frozen' on ice (packed in ice) or frozen.

Unless you are getting it off the back of someone's boat still swimming, all seafood is frozen.

Again, why I don't eat seafood.

You know what your cheapest dine on a budget option is in South Beach? Empanadas! They're little meat pastry pies and generally cost under $2. You can pick them up in the Cuban markets or at the Charlotte Bakery on Washington. I would often pick up a couple of chicken empanadas and wash them down with some fresh squeezed fruit juice. At the Fernandez Fruit Market just north of 14th Street on Washington, you can get all kinds of exotic flavors, including mango, guava and papaya. Much healthier than Subway!
    Christy likes this.

Doug, did you mean that reply for PaulC's thread?

Hmmm...don't know how that happened! But while we're there, how about some stone crab-flavored empanadas?

I have only eaten there a couple times but wow it was delicious.

I have eaten there twice. The first time, with my family visiting from Seattle, we were seated about 10 minutes after we got there. We did the "family style" dinner with 3 orders of stone crabs, and some sides.
    The tomatoes are AWESOME. The lobster mac and cheese is suprisingly good, the creamed spinach is also great.

The second time we went when my husbands family was visiting was less good. We waited 3 hours! We were all pretty tanked after hanging out drinking for 3 hours, and then the food was kinda iffy. I would say that Joes is worth a wait of max 1 hour.

I like the food a lot. The service is one of the better experiences I have had in Miami restaurants.

Nothing special about it, food was decent, seated right away & good service. Next trip I think I will try the smith/wolensky spot along with montys. Now off for some empanadas lol