Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Favorite Places For Drunk Food

Perri, I had not heard that one! Very funny!

OK here is a question for Mr. Garvin. Everyone assumes that sweating is good and "detoxifying" ... how much of this is true?

Default Re: Favorite Places For Drunk Food

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    OK here is a question for Mr. Garvin. Everyone assumes that sweating is good and "detoxifying" ... how much of this is true?
    I would call that myth.

One sweats to cool their body. Thats all

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Congrats Maria! That is awesome!

rk you rule!

Maria -

Truth be told, a couple days ago, I was going to call B.S. when you mentioned that sweating in hot yoga helps "detoxify" you. It's a common myth. .... But, I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, now that it's out there.... ya, it's B.S. Only your organs like liver and kidneys can get rid of actual toxins.

Even more of a myth are those scam ads for stuff like herbal body wraps that say they "detoxify" you. Just try to get them to tell you exactly what "toxins" they remove, and show you the results of a double blind study indiciating such. They're all B.S.

By the way, great job on the toning up! Keep up the good work! As inspiration, take out that bikini photo you posted a year or so back. We want to see it again......for scientific study purposes, of course.

Come on....post it up!

Glenn

LOL Glenn, you crack me up too!

I was reading up on this yesterday. Sweat only leeches out a very minimal amount of trace minerals etc; There are actually companies that sell infrared saunas that want you to believe you can detox and lose weight just by sweating. I do think, however, that it could have a placebo effect on people.

I think hot yoga helps you detoxify in the sense that yoga in general is so beneficial for the body's overall functioning. It's the trickle down effect: you feel better, you lower your stress responses, you breathe better (respiratory advantages), you sleep better, you eat healthier, drink more water = improved liver and kidney function when the body is working at its best.

I have to go find that photo if I want to post it again.

Oh forgot to add ... I know someone who actually gained weight when he was doing his teacher training in Bikram yoga. He said his body went into shock and had issues with elimination. If you don't rehydrate properly, sweating too much is bad for you and taxes your kidneys.

I drink plenty of water before, during and after class.

Maria -

Yes, the benefits of the exercise (yoga, running, hula-hoop, you name it) is always good, and likely improves body functions overall.

Now go find that bikini photo!

Glenn

I was reading up on this yesterday. Sweat only leeches out a very minimal amount of trace minerals etc; There are actually companies that sell infrared saunas that want you to believe you can detox and lose weight just by sweating. I do think, however, that it could have a placebo effect on people.

I think hot yoga helps you detoxify in the sense that yoga in general is so beneficial for the body's overall functioning. It's the trickle down effect: you feel better, you lower your stress responses, you breathe better (respiratory advantages), you sleep better, you eat healthier, drink more water = improved liver and kidney function when the body is working at its best.

I have to go find that photo if I want to post it again.
    If you want to "detoxify", don't drink anything but water and fresh juices. Best way to keep your kidneys and liver healthy.
    rk likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

:
    I have been thinking about this and have a question.

No matter how hung over I am if I get out and run three miles, my hangover goes away completely. Completely. No other cure helps other than hair of the dog. I wonder why this is.

Matt, since you are also a runner, have you found this to be true?

Oh my goodness!! I've never tried the hair of the dog but running 3 miles..wow! I would never even attempt that with a hangover. That's great for you though..exercise plus a hangover cure! Maybe because you're drinking lots of fluids when you run and re-hydrating your body?

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    I have been thinking about this and have a question.

No matter how hung over I am if I get out and run three miles, my hangover goes away completely. Completely. No other cure helps other than hair of the dog. I wonder why this is.

Matt, since you are also a runner, have you found this to be true?

Maybe the running makes your metabolism higher, and so you metabolize the alcohol faster. ???????

Drinking water/hydrating should certainly help, too.

Glenn
    rk likes this.

rk

Exactly. To quote Walter Bortz:

"There is no drug in current or prospective use that holds as much promise for sustained health as a lifetime program of physical exercise.”

Yeah, rtoledo, Workouts, be they running, swimming, biking, wieghts, whatever, always make that hangover go away. It's getting up and doing them that's the tough part.

That said, I think it is a big part all the hydration you do while working out and getting your blood flowing normally again. I know when I used to go to Vegas a lot I made a point of hitting the gym first thing after "breakfast" (at noon) to get refreshed for the next night.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Coach, that's absolutely not true at all. As a former personal trainer and nutritionist (not certified, but performed the duties and research, etc.) it boild down to calories. Even drinking light beer, say you go out and have 6 in a night, that's 600 calories. Do that 5 times, thats 3000 calories or basically a pound. So that's 2 pounds a month if you average 2.5 nights out a week. That's if you're only drinking light beer, and only having 6. Your average binge drinker, who drinks liquor, is downing probably closer to 12-1300 calories a nights, which is basically an extra meal.

Essentially, it all boils down to calorie intake. Stop drinking, and you cut out a lot. Not that it stops me, mind you, but the end of the night food is just icing on the already-fattening cake.
    Or you can just do what they do in Hollywood. Keep drinking. Just don't eat. Essentially replace dinner with booze.

The times I do binge and don't eat, I actually drop weight, even though go through endless rounds of beer.

But this may also be a sign of dehydration and muscle loss.

Learned a cruel lesson today. Not sure how accurate treadmill readings are but it takes me an hour to burn 300 calories on a brisk hour walk covering three miles. That covers an expenditure for three lite beers.

As a two case a week guy, I'm running deficits larger than the federal government.

FredtheCat, I also think exercise raises endorphins and eliminates any jitters.

Rtoledo, I juice regularly, but it's not the only thing I drink

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567