Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: World's 50 most delicious foods...

Preferred Member

Default World's 50 most delicious foods...

... according to CNN Go here:
    http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/ea...67535?page=0,0

My questions are: Which of these 50 foods can you buy in Miami? And which restaurant/place/shop serves or sells the best of that particular food/dish?

This could be my to-do list during my stint in Miami.
    rk likes this.

Well the article says where the dishes are from..US had donuts, pop corn, chips, ice cream. I didn't see anything from Cuba.

My 3 favs were chocolate-Mexico, pizza-Italy, and ice cream-us.,the Thai dishes too!

rk

Christy, possibly you overlooked #49 on that list "Masala Dosa - India" which I am sure would be in your top 3 list. The only option on south beach (Thali) is a bit sub-par, but there are good choices in the Lauderdale area, plus even better in NJ and NYC.

Preferred Member

Default Re: World's 50 most delicious foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Well the article says where the dishes are from..US had donuts, pop corn, chips, ice cream. I didn't see anything from Cuba.

My 3 favs were chocolate-Mexico, pizza-Italy, and ice cream-us.,the Thai dishes too!
    Yes, the articles say where they are originally from. What I meant is e.g. since I know there are Thai restaurants in Miami, where can I get the best "Tom Yum Goong" (#8), and can I find Penang assam laksa (#7) in Miami? Or even better in Coral Gables since I'm gonna live there.
    Last edited by Perri; 07-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Did a fried artichoke heart get on the list ? That's a ritual driving thru CA AG belt and the closest my palate gets to an orgasm.

oh thanks for remembering rk!

I get it now Perry! Ok, so for the best Thai, you would think it would be the restaurant at the Setai but it's not..it's a small Thai place on Washington, Thai House. Great food and they deliver!

Oh lucky you if you like burgers which made the list..the burgers at Houston's in Coral Gables are amazing! Their food is pretty good in general but the burgers really stand out. And the fries too! I'm surprised fries didn't make the list!

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    oh thanks for remembering rk!

I get it now Perry! Ok, so for the best Thai, you would think it would be the restaurant at the Setai but it's not..it's a small Thai place on Washington, Thai House. Great food and they deliver!

Oh lucky you if you like burgers which made the list..the burgers at Houston's in Coral Gables are amazing! Their food is pretty good in general but the burgers really stand out. And the fries too! I'm surprised fries didn't make the list!
    Thanks, Christy! I love most foods, so Houston's burgers is gonna make my list.

I guess Poutine from Canada edged out the straight up fries. Any place serves Poutine?

I hope others on the forum will chime in.

You can get number 42 at my house hahaha. Actually, not anymore, I don't have a toaster

Number 43 - or anything Mexican - is pretty easy to find around here.

Number 22, brownies, are good at Big Pink. Also, surprisingly, Pizza Fusion does a killer gluten free one if you're into eating that way.

Number 4, good sushi is great at Doraku on Lincoln Road.

The rest is mostly asian food...

Los Verdes check t out it is frickin delicious.

How did I miss #22? Although I'd rather have a plain brownie than with vanilla ice cream. The best brownie I ever had in my life was in Miami at the Arscht Center..it was made by Barton G. I cannot wait to see some shows there! Avoid the brownies at Ghiaradelli on Lincoln-too much salt.

How did chocolate chip cookie not make the list? Or gelato?

Ketchup?! Really?!

I'm not a ketchup hater, but it seems to be one of those things you put on food that doesn't taste good in the first place.

Fish and Chips: Just put a new post about Altamare's Fish and Chips.

F
    ajitas: My best guess would be Roas Mexicano. I haven't been to other places in Miami to give better options.

Mexican Chocolate: Nowhere that I know. Oh yeah, and agree with it being #3.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Ketchup?! Really?!

I'm not a ketchup hater, but it seems to be one of those things you put on food that doesn't taste good in the first place.
    I found it really weird that ketchup is listed as a food. I would never consider it a food. How can anyone get full eating ketchup... not that I would ever eat ketchup by itself.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Number 22, brownies, are good at Big Pink. Also, surprisingly, Pizza Fusion does a killer gluten free one if you're into eating that way.

The rest is mostly asian food...
    Nowadays, there seems to be a buzz about gluten-free food... other than those who are allergic to gluten, what is motivating people choose gluten-free food? Does being gluten-free change the flavor or texture of the food?

Are most of the Asian food featured in the list not available here?

There are some imflammatory properties that gluten is linked to. So it may be that people are looking for foods that are more anti-inflammatory. Who knows.

Rosa Mexicano is terrible. Really? Most overpriced mediocre Mexican food I've ever had. Best fajitas in Miami I've had are at Sandbar Grill in Coconut Grove. I know that sounds ridiculous since it's essentially a college/beach bar. But the fajitas are phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Perri View Post
    I found it really weird that ketchup is listed as a food. I would never consider it a food. How can anyone get full eating ketchup... not that I would ever eat ketchup by itself.
    Some unified schools consider ketchup as a vegetable in their school lunches even though a tomato is a fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Some unified schools consider ketchup as a vegetable in their school lunches even though a tomato is a fruit.

Yes, to a botanist, a tomato is officially a fruit. But, to a nutritionist, it counts as a vegetable....The types of vitamins plus it is fairly low in carbs like a veggie (most fruits are higher in carbs than veggies).

There's an old southern saying that goes something like:
    "The diference between brilliant and smart is that if you are brilliant, you know a tomato is actually a fruit. But, if you are smart, you have the sense to not put it in fruit salad."

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 08-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Rosa Mexicano is terrible. Really? Most overpriced mediocre Mexican food I've ever had. Best fajitas in Miami I've had are at Sandbar Grill in Coconut Grove. I know that sounds ridiculous since it's essentially a college/beach bar. But the fajitas are phenomenal.
    Well, as I said, it was a guess. Never had the fajitas there but you are right, overpriced. The best fajitas on the beach was Taco Tento but it closed.

I really need to do a Tex-Mex tour of Miami. Fajitas, while originally Mexican, in their current form, are Tex-Mex.

Mexican fajitas are a rare find.

Whats the difference between Mexican fajitas and the Tex-Mex kind you find most places today?

And wasn't that a Reagan initiative, classifying ketchup as a vegetabe? I remember that being a big thing when I was in elementary school.

From experiences in Texas, Mexcian fajitas are just the skirt steaks, thinly sliced, seasoned/marinated in some way, then grilled. They are then put on a plate or in a bowl and served as is. You grab a steak and cut it into strip to make your tacos. Almost every Mexican grocery store in Texas serves marinated fajitas. Saves time and the seasoning used is always good.

Tex-Mex fajitas are served in strips, with all the usual veggies you see today.

Below is a pic of how many family cooks them (family friend of my aunt in Houston, assigned fajita duty):

Name:  texfaj1.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  48.2 KB
    GandJ likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast