Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Carlos Miller
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Jess

Thread: A Floridian's perspective of 65 degree weather

Default A Floridian's perspective of 65 degree weather

I posted this on Facebook and it got a bunch of reaction because it's so true. Two night ago, I was hanging outside at Sergio's and I saw a guy with a scarf. And it was 66 degrees. I wouldn't wear a scarf unless it was 32 degrees. And windy.

But I'm a native, so I'll confess. I'll wear my leather jacket once it drops to the low 60s because the jacket is not that heavy and it's the only time of the year I get to style it.

Blackford Oakes likes this.

New User

Default Re: A Floridian's perspective of 65 degree weather

What's odd is that Floridians think 90 is hot and 60 is cold. I lived in Tampa for a few years and every summer it was 90 or 91 degrees and people were complaining about the heat. Me I don't even turn on my car's AC until it is over 100 here in Dallas(also I use it to demist the windows when it rains), and yesterday it was just starting to snow but all I needed was a sweatshirt and t-shirt underneath.

This morning it was 55 with a wind chill of about 30 degrees 10 it felt like! So yeah, I was totally bundled up.

To be fair, I think 90 in Dallas is a tad easier to take than 90 in Florida. Here in Palm Springs, I don't turn on the a/c until it's in the 90s!

Baby vicuna was helpful yesterday till mid-morning.

Preferred Member

I don't wear a coat until it's at least in the 30's.. Temps at 50,or even 60 are absolutely beautiful..

On the beach, wind is often a factor. The 50s can be bone chilling when you have a strong sea breeze going!

Thank you Doug. The 50s on the beach are not the 50s when the ocean breeze is whipping by you.

But today, thankfully, it has started to get warmer. Although I am still using my heater right now next to where I type
    Doug likes this.

With 50 degree weather, everyone can take out the winter clothes, that has been gathering dust. I have tons of jackets that I never use.

I had a nice long weekend in Vermont and my boyfriend taught me how to ski..it got down to 12 degrees on the mountain.

Here's what I wore: boots, ski socks, layer of chilis long underwear (top and bottom), then an underarmor mock turtleneck long sleeve stay warm gear, a nothface fleece top, and a one pice ski suit

also, faceguard, hat, waterproof mittens (with the handwarmer packs), and googles.

It's amazing you can even move wearing all this! So basically I looked like the guy in the first post!
    Last edited by Christy; 02-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Haha, I bet you did. That is one thing I do not miss about winter. All the layers! And then you can't move, or if you walk into a store, its so hot and you think you're going to faint cos you have ten layers on in a heated store.
    Christy likes this.

The thing I hated most about winters in the northeast was the ice scraper. I lived for about a year in Union City, NJ, right next to Hoboken. I hated having to scrape down the windshield every morning. One time I didn't have any water to use with it, and I used part of an orange soda I was drinking. It turned into an orange slushie and stayed there most of the winter.

Preferred Member

The northeast in general has had a very mild winter .. Temps for the most part have been in the 40's with few exceptions... So far there's no snow to speak of, and hope it stays that way..

Remember me, I'm from out West and
    I need the heat

-Michael Franks

Thank God, we only get these fronts 3x a year. It really cramps my style.

yah doug that's what i hated the most as well - digging the car out.... shoveling snow, and scraping ice.... what a PITA. I'd start the car & put heat/defrost on full blast as i was getting ready to leave in the morning, so it would all be melted and easy to wipe off by the time i actually got IN the car.

I busted out laughing yesterday seeing people in parka's and hats.... i mean even for Floridians 60 degrees isn't THAT cold. Sweater weather yes, but full-on down parka? i don't think so. Even up North i hadn't used my 'real' winter parka for a few years before I left - it never got cold enough for more than a sweatshirt + jacket. Lately here i've had socks and sweatpants/sweatshirt on, but 50's-60's isn't cold enough to bust out coats and hats.
    Last edited by Catt; 02-14-2012 at 06:24 PM.

I was walking around I think Saturday night on the Beach and the wind was brutal. Really one of the more unpleasant long walks I've had here. With that Ocean breeze it can be a killer.

It's funny watching people walk around here in cold weather clothes, though. There's like whole fashion trends we never even know are going on because we never see them. Also, you never meet a girl when she's bundled up here. So you know what you're in for.