Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GILBERTJUNCO

Thread: Old Miami Beach

rbb
    New User

Default Old Miami Beach

When I was a kid living in NY. My grandmother lived with us, but she would go to Miami Beach for the winter. She stayed in a hotel called the Edward Hotel in what is now South Beach. We visted there a few times during the holidays. Does anyone remember that place, where it was and what became of it?

Preferred Member

Default Re: Old Miami Beach

Quote Originally Posted by rbb View Post
    When I was a kid living in NY. My grandmother lived with us, but she would go to Miami Beach for the winter. She stayed in a hotel called the Edward Hotel in what is now South Beach. We visted there a few times during the holidays. Does anyone remember that place, where it was and what became of it?
    I heard of it,think it's on Collins ave.. The address is in the 900's,maybe 950 or 953. Maybe someone else who lives in the area might know.

My grandmother has a friend that used to visit that hotel. And her comment when I asked about it is. In spanish but pretty much " The beach isn't the same as it used to be..." There is an older beach crowd in Miami beach around 20th to 38th and Collins they seem to remember a lot of those old buildings.

rk

Moltobene is correct. 953 Collins Ave, across from Essex House. You can see a stylized picture at:

http://www.cardcow.com/123528/joe-sp...beach-florida/

It operated until the late 1970's as a hotel, if I am right, then was sold in 1980 and reopened in 1982 as an apartment building.

It is still standing at that address, now as the "Edwards Apartments".

Here are screen captures showing then and now, the older one from the link above, the newer from Google street view:

Name:  Edwards_Hotel-01.JPG
Views: 8500
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  Edwards_Hotel-02.JPG
Views: 5983
Size:  51.4 KB

Edit: built in 1935.
    Last edited by rk; 05-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.

rbb
    New User

Thanks everyone. I now live in Fl and wondered what happened to that old place. Seeing that small shot of the pool brings back a few memories..... Thanks again for the info.

rk

Alas, the Edward pool (on the south side of the building) is now a small parking lot.

The White House Hotel, burned down in 1982, arson suspected. I remember the site being boarded up but can't recall what was there after that until the Villaggio came up in the late 1990's.

Haha. Swpas you lived at 1330? I lived there for like 3 months last year. I'm sure it was very different when you lived there, though.

rbb
    New User

The last time I was there was in the late 60's and I was around 9 or 10 years old, so I don't remember much about the lounge or bars. I seem to remember it was painted a dingy green color and I thought there was also an indoor pool, but I could be wrong.........

I've passed by that Edwards Bldg, and I always wondered if it had been a hotel at one point. The architecture is obviously not condo-like.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rbb View Post
    It's now Edwards Apartments
    953 Collins ave.
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Tel. 305-534-9464

and it's open year round!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.