Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Mosquito in south florida.. a problem?

Hello,

We am looking to buy a house in ether, Doral, Miramar, P Pines or Weston. If I get one with a pool would that be bad for mosquitos? Or is it only arround lakes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Hi kolaios,

Great question! It seems that mosquitos are worse the more West you are, and the hotter it is. They also love to fly around stagnant bodies of water. That means, the more lakes there are in your area, the worse it will be.

Keep in mind, Miramar, Pembroke Pines and Weston are all close to the Everglades. Everglades = Lots of bugs.

With that said, I would be surprised if you found a house with a pool that didn't have a cage. If you have a cage, no need to worry about mosquitos.

We live a couple of miles from the ocean and have a pool, no cage. In the summer, the mosquitos were out and it was unbearable to sit outside. Now that it is fall, I haven't been bothered by them.

Have you stared house-hunting yet?

New User

Oh men!!! what a turn off!!!! We had no idea about that!!!

Is it that bad? or is it managable? It makes us not want to get a house with a pool...

Any suggestions?

I haven't spent any time in the Cities you mentioned so I can't tell you what it will be like.

Your best bet will be to start looking at some homes, ask the realtor, and ask the neighborhoods you see in the areas you are looking.

Where are you from?

New User

I am from bogota colombia but my wife is from Sacramento. We really want a house with a pool but my wife HATES!!!! mosquitoues.... and we had no idea that Miami had that problem. The EverGlades is more to the south and Miramar and Weston are more north or am I wrong?

The Everglades is to the West.

Have you ever been to Miami?

I attached a photo below of what a cage looks like around a pool. You will find that a majority of the homes with pools have these cages to keep the mosquitos out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suzanne C

Michelle is right, enclosures, screen or otherwise, really help. But mosquitoes won't be able to breed in a pool that's maintained- too much water movement anyway. So as long as you use your pool often, the mosquitoes won't come from there.

Try to find an area that isn't too far west and of course, avoid areas that flood easily. I'm not sure about Miramar, Pembroke Pines or Weston but Doral isn't bad.

+ you know kolaios, when it does get bad, the county sprays. Also, a quick trip to your nearest Home Depot or Lowes will open up a world of options for mosquito repellants.

New User

What areas do you recommend? As I said, we are looking into: Doral. Miramar, Weston and P Pines.
    Doral has the same mosquito problems?

Thanks a lot for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne C

Nah, not Doral.

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water and love heat. Hi. Welcome to Miami.

Basically areas that are not highly populated are the ones affected most. The closer you get to those spots, the worse it can get. As a general rule of thumb, areas west of the Turnpike in Miami, and west of I-75 can get bad.

Some of the worse spots though are the on the east coast, were it's heavily wooded. Opulent Gables by the Sea (Wayne Huizenga) is HORRIBLE. There are creeks along the Gables waterway full of mangroves that become cesspools of mosquitoes. Anyone who has ever visited Matheson Hammock Park can tell you about it.

Similarly, heavy wooded ares like Coral Gables and Coconut Grove and the island of Key Biscayne can get pretty bad. As a kid on the key and a high schooler in the Grove, it sucked. Literally.

Also, when it rains a bit, my Miami River apartment area can get bad but lately, all the dust from the surrounding construction has combated the little blood suckers.

Since there's not much we can do about the heat and rain luckily there are things you can do to reduce or control the mosquito population around your home.

Remove standing water from your property; old tires, pet bowls, kiddie pools, birdbaths and flower pot saucers are all excellent breeding grounds for mosquitoes as are trash cans. That 2 inch deep puddle that collects on the top of your trash can lid when it's flipped over is enough to spawn hundreds of mosquitoes. Repair any leaks on pipes an outdoor faucets/spigots. Try not leave anything standing for more than two days. Also, fill in any low laying areas that flood frequently and tree holes/tree stumps. And keep your grass short and shrubbery well trimmed so mosquitoes have no where to hide. If you have gutters, keep them clean too.

Considering that most mosquitoes remain within one mile of their breeding site, it's an added boinus to be proactive. You can control the population.

I know most people think 'AHHAH the deadly West Nile' but don't forget about pets. As a precaution, get them vaccines and medicines. Mosquitoes transmit heartworm disease.

New User

We where thinking Weston, Miramar & P Pines but now after this mosquito thing and some posts that I read about the traffic... we are leaning more toward Doral... Any other suggestions?

Suzanne C

Well kolaios, do you work or intend to work close to Doral?

Why are you looking to buy a home in these areas?

Or better yet, what are YOU looking for from the area in which you wish to buy a home?

besides an absence of mosquitoes of course...

Hi kolaios, out here on South Beach, I've never really had much of a problem with mosquitoes....the sea breezes and the salt water seem to keep them away. I assume that's probably the case with most populated areas along the beach. Maybe you might want to set your sights further eastward!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    We live a couple of miles from the ocean and have a pool, no cage. In the summer, the mosquitos were out and it was unbearable to sit outside. Now that it is fall, I haven't been bothered by them.
    I disagree, Michelle. During the summer, it was only bad at night. During the day, we never had a problem.

Hi, kolaios. Welcome to MiamiBeach411.

You asked...

We where thinking Weston, Miramar & P Pines but now after this mosquito thing and some posts that I read about the traffic… we are leaning more toward Doral… Any other suggestions?
    Make sure you also look in Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay...that's where Michelle and I live. We are very happy with the community, and if you have kids, the schools in are some of the best in the State.