Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Fred Garvin Passed Away

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Fred Garvin Passed Away

Sad news to report that Fred Garvin passed away.

Fred joined Miami Beach 411 in 2009 and was an adviser here for many years. You could always count on Fred to organize a meetup and wish you a happy birthday. I will remember Fred for his unbiased opinion, his love of Miami Beach, and his ability to see the best in people.

Fred was always helping people at Miami Beach 411; whether it was real estate advice, where to get the best fried chicken, or who to call for bottle service, Fred was always there to help you. Our condolences to his family. He will be missed.
    Christy and Matt Meltzer like this.

Default Re: Fred Garvin Passed Away

I am so sad to hear this Although I never got to meet Fred in person I appreciated his input in the forums and would have gladly called him a friend. I wish the best for his family and I hope he is a great place. He was always kind and very giving of his knowledge.

I am sure he will be remembered in the Miami Beach 411 forums and by all those who knew him personally.
    GandJ likes this.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Sad news to report that Fred Garvin passed away.

Fred joined Miami Beach 411 in 2009 and was an adviser here for many years. You could always count on Fred to organize a meetup and wish you a happy birthday. I will remember Fred for his unbiased opinion, his love of Miami Beach, and his ability to see the best in people.

Fred was always helping people at Miami Beach 411; whether it was real estate advice, where to get the best fried chicken, or who to call for bottle service, Fred was always there to help you. Our condolences to his family. He will be missed.
    Wow, this is very sad and shocking news!!

I and fred joined the forum at about the same time, and I have many fond memories of friendly banter with him. He was always polite and outgoing, and brought up some of the most interesting points on this forum. He will be very sorely missed. I feel like I lost an old friend.

I am deeply sorry, and my condolences to the family.
    GandJ and Christy like this.

My condolences to the family. I deeply feel the weight of this loss.

I have no doubt FG is hurling some wicked stuff on that big mound in the sky and cheered on by Paracletes.

Fred Garvin RIP

Till we meet, I got your back and I'll be cheering on your Brew Crew,
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.

This very sad. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

A sad day. My heart goes out to his family.
    GandJ and Christy like this.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I enjoyed his posts here; I'm sorry I never got to know him in person.
    rk and dylan like this.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Doug, it's good to see you.

I'm happy that I got to spend some time with Fred, outside the forum. When we'd get together, what I remember is, he really loved talking about all of us and the things that was happening in our lives. He was a real cheerleader for all of our goals and aspirations, and always wanted the best for everyone.
    Doug, GandJ, Christy and 2 others like this.

New User

wow... sad SAD news... what a nice man! may he rest in peace.

I met most of you originally at one of his meet ups. sad news.

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I popped in on the forums, but with today's news, I just wanted to add that Fred was a great person, cheerleader (if you will) not only my personal career but of all the staff and intention here at 411. I had the good fortune of breaking bread with him, his wife and kids several times, along with Gus and Michelle as well as others from the company. He will be truly missed. He was just one of those genuine people you rarely cross paths with and he meant it, as well as his wife. They were a very generous family in spirit and friendship.

My heart goes out to his wife, kids and family. And I am thankful he was part of this community, because he was one of the folks who helped it become the great community it is today.

I hope everyone is doing well. Sending a big hug to all and even though I don't work for 411 anymore, I truly appreciate the role all of you have contributed to my life. Let's raise a glass for Fred's life. He deserves it. :-)
    Gus, Doug, rk and 3 others like this.

Gus is right-you always could count on Fred to start a birthday thread for you or suggest a meetup. He will be missed by all of us. It's upsetting that he passed away at such a young age so suddenly. I guess that life really is short. I'm going to reread some of his old posts.
    Last edited by Christy; 05-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    rk and GandJ like this.

It is truly a sad day. Janet and I just saw Fred 8 days ago, and enjoyed a few drinks with him while we were down in Miami. Fred was always so generous and helpful. ... A kind, wonderful, caring, helpful, and generous person. We were also fortunate to meet his wife, Robin, who is also a terrific person. Fred touched the lives of many, including the lives he saved as an extremely skilled surgeon. We are all a bit poorer today without this great human being. The world lost a great person today. RIP Fred.

-- Glenn and Janet

Really sad to hear this. I only met Fred in person twice and then had sporadic connections with him over the years. Truly, just a really nice guy. My condolences to his loved ones.

Hi everyone,
    Very sad news. My condolences go out to his family. I met Fred at a several meetups. He was genuinely nice, caring person and he really loved Miami and the 411 community. We happen to have the same birthday, October 10. In 2010, we had a meetup-double birthday party at Monty's. Fred will be greatly missed.
    rk, GandJ and Christy like this.

While Fred's life was cut way too short, it appeared to me he was always celebrating life; he played as hard as he worked, and made it a point to make people feel welcome.

His life seemed very happy and full; I know I will learn from the way he lived.

Rest in Peace Fred, and my thoughts and prayers are with his beautiful family.
    Doug, rk, GandJ and 1 others like this.

Definitely a sad day on the forums. Shocking news all around.

I'd venture to say I spent the most time with Fred out in the "real" world, and he truyl was one of the best friends a person could ask for. He was generous and welcoming to people he barely knew, always invited me to fun events he had going on, and was a first-rate hsot when I had the pleasure of visiting him and his family in Milwaukee. Few people have been such good friends in such a short period of time. He always called me his "adopted little brother," and helped me out in ways above and beyond what anyone could ask.

For those who weren't aware of the details, "Fred" (that wasn't his actual name) died in his sleep of a respitory complication, possibly related to sleep apnea. He recently had lost a good deal of weight and was in better health and shape than I ever saw him. Along with Glenn and Janet I hung out with him last week and he was in good spritis. The last text he sent me was of the sexy bartenders at Foxhole. Seems appropriate if you knew him.

For those of you who didn't get to know Fred all that well, you missed out on knowing one of the best people you could. He added a lot to the forums here and to the MB411 community, and we will miss him all around. A sad, shocking day, that kinda makes you realize you realyl do need to make the most of the time you have with people, because you just never know.

RIP Fred Garvin. The forums won't be the same without you.
    Gus, rk, GandJ and 2 others like this.

rk

That is shocking. Not to divert the topic, but do you know if the recent weight loss was the result of some specific weight-loss regimen that included drugs? I sometimes wonder how safe those things are.

Good to hear from so many of you after quite a while. Please do stop by every so often.
    Last edited by rk; 05-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    That is shocking. Not to divert the topic, but do you know if the recent weight loss was the result of some specific weight-loss regimen that included drugs? I sometimes wonder how safe those things are.

Good to hear from so many of you after quite a while. Please do stop by every so often.
    rk - I believe Fred had lost about 40 pounds over a 6 month period. That's a fairly reasonable rate of loss. Not too drastic. I believe he did it through old fashioned determination and will power. Back in late October, while Janet, Matt, and I were gorging ourselves on delicious roasted meats at Texas de Brazil, Fred stuck with the salad bar only. That takes pure willpower in that feast palace! He was really doing well and looked great health-wise, just last week. -- Glenn

Yeah there were no drugs or sudden weight loss issues at the root of it. He had drastically changed his diet and was working out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast