we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Family beaches?

New User

Default Family beaches?

I have family coming to visit, including my 7 year old niece. We have been to the beaches on Key Biscayne and Crandon Park, but I am looking for a more "sandy" beach, that is family friendly. I have been told to try Hollywood Beach, or Ft. Lauderdale. Any other beaches you can think of? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Family beaches?

North Beach - 71st & Collins area is very family oriented. They have tennis courts nearby, volleyball courts right by the beach and lots of parking.

Sunny Isles beach is family oriented as well and even has a small pier to walk out on. Just don't travel too far South on foot to Haulover and stumble on to the nude section! (you'll see the signs)

Ft. Lauderdale beach is great for people of all ages. Its a spring break beach in season but Summertime is pretty much all types of people.

The West coast of Fla (Naples / Marco Island / Sanibel) is very family friendly and known for sea shells and the sand is much nicer there than Miami. However the water is clearer in Miami and has some waves.

Both beaches you mention are lovely, but as soon as you leave SoBe you'd find gorgeous quiet beaches, tons of sand, and no one around. Head to the beach above 25th street and it's pretty deserted. And up around 50th it's empty. Hollywood is great though, as it has a boardwalk with shops and ice cream etc.

You want more "sandy" than Key Biscanye? Did you go to Crandon Park? That's the best sand in South Florida, seriously. Like you're not getting a more tropical, sandy beach than that.

Hollywood Beach is super cool, though. It has that little beach town feel and is very relaxing.
    GandJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    You want more "sandy" than Key Biscanye? Did you go to Crandon Park? That's the best sand in South Florida, seriously. Like you're not getting a more tropical, sandy beach than that.

Hollywood Beach is super cool, though. It has that little beach town feel and is very relaxing.
    Yes. Key Biscayne has great beaches. Dr. Stephen Leatherman, known as Dr. Beach, just put out his 2013 list of America's top beaches. Cape Florida State Park, which is near the Lighthouse on the southern end of Key Biscayne, was just named the nation's 7th best beach. Not bad at all.
    http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.html

How much sand do you want ?

I'll grant some beaches at Key Biscayne lack sandy areas. I often go to those as they permit dogs. As Glenn mentioned, the beach at the extreme end of KB was recognized recently by Dr. Beach. A worthy choice.

Cape Florida ( Bill Baggs ) http://www.floridastateparks.org/capeflorida/ has enough sand to satisfy anyone. As a Californian, you do not want to cross sand the size of a football field to get to the shore line. The facilities at Bill Baggs would satisfy anyone or any gathering. Many of us here at MB411 had a meet-up there years ago and had a great time.

If you get there by 11AM, you can easily claim a kiosk with shade & BBQ pits. From there, you walk past the dunes to the beach in 30 seconds.

Parking is never a problem before noon. The cost for entry is only $5 per car load.
    GandJ likes this.

Yea when I think of family beaches Key Biscayne comes to mind first although the water is not the nicest there, the sandy portion of the beach is hard to beat. With some palm trees for shade, and a nice ling stretch of sand the Crandon park area is great for catch, frisbee, or any other beach activities.

You guys are looking at something else in a nice 'beach' than what I must be looking at.

My wife and I drove to the Bill State park in Key Biscayne to see what the hub-bub was about. After paying the $1.50 toll and the $8 park entrance fee we parked in a lot by the lighthouse cafe. Lots of people having picnics and bar-b-que's (while chasing away the racoons) and some shower facilities next to a cafe. You walk out and see the water and its beautiful but very little sand to lay on and most of the area is covered by a vendor selling chairs. The water lets you go out maybe 15 feet and never gets more than waste high before you enter the rocky, green floor that reminds me of algae covered rocks at a local park. The ambiance itself is beautiful and reminds me of a private island when I go on a cruise, but aside from that, I think its a very average beach. Maybe there are other beaches in this park that I missed? We drove to the end of the park and it seemed like more of the same.

So Family Oriented? Yes, Very Much.
    Nicest beach in South Florida? Not even close. In fact, we won't even go back.
    while we don't want to cross 'football sized fields of sand', its nice to have lots of beautiful sand to lay out on and that goes all the way up to Haulover. Plus there is no $8 entrance fee and you have an abundance of things to do, even if you go to the quieter areas in 30th street or 50th street. You just sacrifice a few palm trees!
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Crandon Park is where the sand is at, further north on Key Biscayne the light house is at the southern tip, and I am not a huge fan of that beach. Crandon park is also cheaper to get into.

SoBe;

Gus will never now how many sick KB raccoons I had to ward off his BD cake that day.

That said, I don't agree with your assessement about Billy Bags. How much sand do you want ? I have foreign ideas about an optimal family beach day, KB fits the local need, especially with the attached amenities.

Other than that, we only head to a SoFi beach and make sure the Nikki Beach attendant checks up on us every 30mins.

I remember those racoons, Blackford.

Baggs is fun on a weekday when there's nobody there. On the weekend, it's Spanish family Hell.