Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: #BoycottFLORIDA

Default Re: #BoycottFLORIDA

Corey needs to go..

Despite what happened in the trial, the police department knew there wasn't a case and decided not to pursue. Nothing happened until this Corey came in to town and forced a trial to occur, probably due to political pressure and racial tension (even though Zimmerman is not white and has no evidence of him being a racist).

Then after the verdict is in by a jury of his peers (as the constitution states), she describes Zimmerman as a Murder. Hopefully she'll be investigated for ethics and disbarred for firing the whistleblower and calling a now innocent man, a Murderer.

Sure Zimmerman was responsible for Martin dying because had he not pursued, Martin would still be alive. He should have been charged and convicted on this and not the state doing what they do best (see: Casey Anthony) and over charging someone. Had they done some sort of reckless endangerment, child abuse, battery resulting in great bodily harm, etc. he'd be in jail for at least 5-7 years with a felony and loss of his gun rights permanently (Which many are calling for). Problem is, no one cares about watching a Felony Battery charge as Murder Charges is what captivates America (S. Peterson, O.J, Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias, Robert Blake, etc.)

So the state went for a home run and didn't see the sign from the 1st base coach yelling 'BUNT' when a 6 women, 90% white jury was selected and struck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Are you sure? I won't disagree with you that Corey violated her professional ethics by withholding evidence, but prosecuting attorneys typically describe defendants as guilty of a crime before a verdict is reached. That's kind of a red herring, though, because Corey's and NBC's conduct has nothing to do with Zimmerman's that night.

Not my words. That was quoted from the legal article. This whole thing is about to take an interesting twist.

As for any red herring and NBC, it was partly because of their mis-conduct and mis-information that many had believed, and some still falsely believe, that Zimmerman had racial motives.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 07-17-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

To clear up 2 common misconceptions among Zimmerman supporters:

1) It is not necessary for Zimmerman to have been engaging in any illegal activity in order for Trayvon Martin to be justified in defending himself. Zimmerman supporters are quick to say that Zimmerman wasn't violating any laws by getting out of his vehicle, pursuing, or confronting Martin. But that doesn't matter.

2) It is not necessary for Zimmerman to have initiated a physical confrontation with Trayvon Martin in order for Martin to have a justification for defending himself, only that he believe that an aggressor's use of unlawful force was imminent. It is clear from Rachel Jeantel's testimony that Zimmerman's pursuit of him by car and on foot caused Martin to have a reasonable belief that Zimmerman had an imminent intention of using unlawful force against him. It doesn't even require that Martin be correct in his understanding, only that his belief be "reasonable".

Here is the text of the Florida law:

76.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;
    I went back and edited this so wanted to make sure you saw it. From my take on things, Florida law supports Martin's right of self-defense. I agree with you about Corey's actions being inappropriate as they weakened the case against a guilty man. If Martin was defending himself at the time Zimmerman first employed physical force, Zimmerman has no right to plead self-defense, as he was the aggressor. There can be no self-defense against self-defense. I don't really have anything else to add to that, and we'll just have to agree to disagree, while others weigh in. This is a great law blog article, btw:

http://my.firedoglake.com/mason/tag/corruption/
    Last edited by Doug; 07-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    hunnny likes this.

Thanks Doug. Please stick around the forum for other topics, including the more fun, less controversial topics.
    I enjoyed your tip on Charlotte Café from long ago, and have enjoyed it many times since then.

Glenn
    Doug likes this.

Thanks, Glenn. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That and Iron Sushi were my 2 favorite "regular" spots on the beach. I hope to make it back someday soon, and it would be great to meet you and Janet in person. I'm not having fun in Palm Springs right now because there is a major wildfire happening in the mountains behind us and it's filling our valley with smoke and ashes!
    GandJ likes this.

Wildfires do not sound like fun. As for meeting up n Miami, that would be cool. I usually post on here before we head back down. Next time will likely be some time in October, and we'll know more precise details of the exact part of October probably around early to mid September.

Glenn
    Doug likes this.

Is this our official Zimmerman thread? Awesome.

High profile murder cases seem to exclusively end in acquittals. Casey Anthony, anyone? OJ? Aaron Hernandez has to be feeling pretty good right now.

Though I didn't see any of the case, my sister texted me last Saturday eve the verdict was about to be read - so I turned it on. That gave me the opportunity also to view the post case commentary by the particulars.

I noted here and elsewhere, both camps on this case have a grievance with Angela Corey. I sensed right away this lady has some marbles loose. If you only psychoanalyze her performance, it came across as she won. That became a point of interest to me. Don't know why. Maybe because I thought she'd be a great candidate and face for any public relations catastrophe. In the interim, and a couple of articles I read she has a mean streak, acts on vendettas and has made several misjudgements. It's got to be bad if she hurt both arguments of this case. I'm not going to pretend to know what happened, nor am I schooled enough to know the difference if a grand jury venue would have helped the prosecution.

As far as boycotts; I mentioned I'm cool with those, especially if I'm in a punitive mode against an entity. It doesn't have to be malicious per se. Maybe one day I want to visit Cambodia and opt out of a route via Seoul for peace of mind. Or I can be like others, sick of how the whole Marlins Stadium deal went down and that team's subsequent fire sale of good players and not attend. The other style of boycotts are lead by hot heads that eventually end up shaking down companies an attempt to revive a lost prominence. But as I said, go ahead and boycott our state. If you want to fly instead of driving to Disney, that's between you, your budget and your kids.

Today I came across a different type of boycott which deserves to be mentioned. More pro-active in nature. I went to the magazine section at my local Walgreens in search for a couple Fantasy Football mags. I was also curious about the controversial Rolling Stone cover with the surviving Boston Bomber on the cover. I asked the manager as he passed about that publication. He mentioned it comes out tomorrow but Walgreens nation wide will not be offering it.

We still have some hope after all.

I agree with you there. Rolling Stone is a strange place to feature a terrorist!
    Last edited by Doug; 07-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.

They made him look cool. Boycotting RS magazine can only have everyone in agreement. I bet their PR dept is in overdrive.

New User

Wow, that is just crazy.

Forgetting Zimmerman for a moment........ at least as long as his current girlfriend can.

Tis that season where we Floridians snub practically every region of the country

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  136.3 KB

The above picture depicts my football viewing experience last weekend from my CFL Florida Room, as well as what others are dealing with.

Looking at the prognostications of this weekend's weather; We are expected to get warmer, while some friends in higher latitudes will be ploughing more heavily than days ago. - Ask me if I care.

Only difference in this weekend's forecast is my old vatos in LA share our glory for a few days.

All I ask for is those that pledged to Boycott Florida hold strong.

We really haven't missed you or need you.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.

I really hope this doesn't encourage anyone to move here. Sadly, it probably will.

Won't be long till we get the forum posts... " Hey guys, it's super cold in Michigan so I've decided to move to Miami!"

although, 82 degrees today was kind of ridiculous. It's December and I want to wear my boots.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

"I went there and thought all the Latin culture was really cool. I spend a semester in Guatemala and LOVED it, so I really won't have a problem with all that."

Yeah WTF, it was hot as balls yesterday. Was totally ready for the 76 high today.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    "I went there and thought all the Latin culture was really cool. I spend a semester in Guatemala and LOVED it, so I really won't have a problem with all that."
    Hahahahaha... yep, that's usually how it goes. I went to Spain this year, and my family said, "you've lived in Miami 5 yrs and learned no Spanish?"

I refuse to learn a language forced on me in a country whose first language is ENGLISH.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

We've finally been able to turn off the AC. I guess that boycott is working well.

Last week I took some Colombians to St Augustine for a day excursion. Not everyone spoke English, so we spoke in Spanish mainly when we went about the city.

For the benefit of my ear shot, I tourist complained to his party that that my group was speaking in Spanish. Before I reacted and confronted the dude, I waited for an opportunity. After the cannon demonstration on top of the fort concluded, the actors performed the demonstration in Castilian, I went up to him and said" " Bienvenido al Castillo de San Marcos."

Through the years, I've softened my stance on " English Only." It's a fight one can't win. This is not endemic to Miami. Even if you call a bank based in San Francisco, you'll be greeted with " Para Espanol, aprete el numero uno." I hate that sh!t as much as anyone.

My thought is: If you live in Miami and refuse to learn Spanish, it's fatalistic. Not only is it a reality within our local environment, you kinda restrict yourself of taking-in the full Miami Experience.

That said...... I do think the Senator from CA was a wise man. Not sure if S.I. Hayakawa's amendment will fly today. Hopefully it will come around again.

http://www.us-english.org/view/26
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12