Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Mario

Thread: Good place to raise a family where commute times to Corel Gables are under 50 minutes

New User

Default Good place to raise a family where commute times to Corel Gables are under 50 minutes

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a job offer in Corel Gables, and my start date is within a month. I'm looking for a safe neighborhood where house prices are affordable, and my commute times are no longer than 45 minutes or an hour.

I'm looking for a place with mix population and not labelled by one single ethnic group

I'm moving from Canada, please try to provide as much information as you can. I was told the south of Miami is not a good place to live and raise a family, but since the only city I know of Florida is Orlando, not sure what are best options

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Good place to raise a family where commute times to Corel Gables are under 50 min

Depending on what your income will be at your new job, you should just live in the Gables. Its a nice area, great schools and lots to do as far as dining/bars & kid friendly places. If your are purchasing a home, I would say $400k+ for a decent home in the Gables and $300k for the 'outlying' areas. Figure rent to be $3000 or so for a 3 bedroom single family home in that area. A nice 2 bedroom condo would be around $2200+ but you'll be able to walk to Miracle Mile where all the bars/restaurants/shops are as well as banks/groceries etc. I wouldn't really recommend Coconut Grove to the south and anything West of the Gables will have that '1 type of popluation' you referred to.

If you prefer some water views, you can move to North Bay Village which is an island attached to Miami Beach in the Northern Section. There you can get a nice 2 bedroom waterview condo for $1900 and a 3 bedroom for $2300-$2700. Close to the beach and US-1 and probably won't be more than 35-40 minutes commute to Gables, depending on what time of the day you leave for work. Not many homes there, but non-water front homes are in the mid to high 300s and waterfront homes are in the 800s.

Just over the bridge and further north from NBVillage is Miami Shores. Again, good schools, close to I-95 (shorter commute to the gables than NBVillage) and home prices start at $350k for a 2/2 single family and go from there. A lot of 3 bedroom homes in this area are converted garages, which is very common throughout Miami. This area is around the 95th to 110th area of Biscayne, Miami Ave, and NE 2nd Ave.

Keep in mind for Florida, if you are buying a condo, you'll need atleast 20-25% for downpayment due to the previous housing crisis. Also, the condo can't be more than 50% rented so it eliminates a lot of options sadly. You can still get Single Family homes for 5% down with good credit through a national or regional lender (BofA, Wells Fargo, etc.)

Hope this helps! Send me a Private Message if you want to see a list of properties in these areas..

Good luck with the move!
    Gus, Matt Meltzer and Clocker Sid like this.

Default Re: Good place to raise a family where commute times to Corel Gables are under 50 min

Pinecrest, South Miami, West Gables, part of Kendall, Coconut Grove are all good. But even in good areas you can pockets of sketchy places. It's best if you explore and drive around a lot before choosing a location.

None of these places are exactly cheap.
    Gus likes this.

Preferred Member

Welcome, but you won't last long at your job if you continue to misspell the city name. sid.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, febenitezc, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

I live in Palmetto Bay, which is just south of Pinecrest in South Miami. I love it here. The area has good schools, great shopping, lots of parks, and is about a 25-minute drive from Coral Gables.

You can find it on a map by searching east of US-1 and SW 152 Street.

Are you looking to rent or buy?

rk

Check this map (not mine). It color-codes the neighborhoods by quality/safety:

http://tinyurl.com/cpfbb2b

You can zoom and pan.