we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By rosebudd

Thread: Art Basel events

Default Art Basel events

Any cool (and hopefully free or cheap) Art Basel events anyone here recommends? I'm checking out Pinta Miami and Spectrum in Midtown. Also, there's a new gallery called VICE which specializes in graffiti art.

Default Re: Art Basel events

Art Basel is playing Miami. Only two Miami galleries participating.

It's not Paris of 1920.

Check out SCOPE if you get a chance. I think that's probably the most interesting show art-wise. Lots of cool modern stuff.

PAMM has cool stuff going on all weekend. Check them out for sure.

Past that, I've tried to ignore it. Boat Show for smarter people this is.

I'm not a fan of Art Basel. Without a doubt, you'll find some gems and billionaires looking solely for investments.

This weekend, I'm tinkering with heading to The Dali which has a dueling Picasso/Dali exhibit which has been worldly acclaimed.
    http://thedali.org/exhibit/picasso-dali-dali-picasso/ I actually want to see art.

It seems to me, Art Basel finally took Miami hostage for a few days as only two local galleries are on the program. That's a sham ! Well in the Miamian spirit..... it's morphed into a extended St. Patrick's/ Cinco de Mayo celebration. Plenty of parties and plenty of pissed off local artists.

As I said before, Miami needs an Eli Broad. Not Art Basel.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I really enjoyed Scope last year, the art work is cool, modern, the show is on the beach and there's a lot to see.

Free Events This Week in Miami for Art Basel:
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/cultist/2014/12/free_events_this_week_in_miami_basel_edition.php

The original art basel event has outgrown itself, but there are plenty of other art organizations here too. Most local small galleries can't afford to be part of the official art basel, but they welcome the art collectors visiting enmasse.

Is it just me or are we a couple years away from this becoming the new Memorial Day weekend? People I know are actually planning to leave town next year because Basel chokes the city so badly. The negatives are starting to outweigh the positives and I for one wouldn't miss Basel one bit. I'd actually PREFER MDW as it doesn't spread much past the Beach.

Well the traffic has been really bad as it was also Heat games at home this week, so traffic in the evenings was INSANE.

I don't mind Art Basel, but the traffic and crowds are a shock usually after the quiet summer. Season begins now I guess.

Preferred Member

In case you are wondering, Basel is a city on the
    Rhine River in NW Switzerland.

Next year, when the MB convention center collapses,
    the Art Show will be held on the beautiful Miami River.

Valet Docking has already been set at $80 bucks.
    Bring your own Sea Anchor and Fishhook. sm

Are you serious?

I knew that about Basel, my friend actually works for them. Where's the CC going?

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Are you serious?

I knew that about Basel, my friend actually works for them. Where's the CC going?
    Basel really is in Switzerland.

The CC is going downhill. Art patrons in bizarre clothes buy
    buy pieces of iron shaped to look like Chef Guiana of
    Food Channel. Deck and overhead is rotting away to
    the tune of giant termites.
    MB commission is still
    reviewing bids from the ISIS WILL BE Construction Co. of
    Village Creek Islands.

I heard that you paddle that kayak over to that Cuban
    Seafood/ Fish Market on the river; just forgot the name.
    Tony's?

They ran out of plantains two years ago on Father's
    Day. But, fish and shrimp was/were excellent. el sid

I'm finding it very difficult to be as enthusiastic about #ArtBasel as most Murals being thrown up in Wynwood during this faire are yawners. Can only blame my the boredom on Clover from XVIII St artistry. As well as others who've been tagging stuff in LA since or before I was a kid.

It also doesn't hurt if your local slaughter house is a work of art.

Name:  farmer john.png
Views: 203
Size:  906.9 KB

Hoping the parties though are living up to the hype.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I went to the Wynwood galleries and one of my girls got us VIP tickets to the actual Art Basel. Both of us being lovers of Art, she's a painter and I worked with photography for a long while (before losing the passion when money got involved) we were both very excited.

Thing is...70% of it was what is called "modern art" for example, this here was being displayed:

Name:  QAIVqMP.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  160.4 KB

You can give me all kind of pseudo-artistic spew "oh it's a reflection on the impurities of society as a whole...blah blah" but that to me is a garbage can with stuff glued to it. There was also a BLUE SHEET OF CLOTH glued to a wall..... . .. k im done.

But anyways, we were able to see some interesting stuff, Wynwood was more interesting for sure. I think the art basel is like voting for a black president just to prove you're not a racist type of thing, people do it because it makes them want to believe they more sophisticated than they actually are. "Booked Miami, not for the parties or anything, but instead for an art show"

On the bright side I got to meet a few artsy/hipster girls which are the best <3
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

I didn't go to much this year... I had the free tickets, just no enthusiasm for it. Real life carries on when you live here... real job, real schedule etc. So fitting in all of art Basel just didn't appeal. After the crowds and traffic, all you wanna do is go home and be peaceful!

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudd View Post
    I went to the Wynwood galleries and one of my girls got us VIP tickets to the actual Art Basel. Both of us being lovers of Art, she's a painter and I worked with photography for a long while (before losing the passion when money got involved) we were both very excited.

Thing is...70% of it was what is called "modern art" for example, this here was being displayed:

Name:  QAIVqMP.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  160.4 KB

You can give me all kind of pseudo-artistic spew "oh it's a reflection on the impurities of society as a whole...blah blah" but that to me is a garbage can with stuff glued to it. There was also a BLUE SHEET OF CLOTH glued to a wall..... . .. k im done.

But anyways, we were able to see some interesting stuff, Wynwood was more interesting for sure. I think the art basel is like voting for a black president just to prove you're not a racist type of thing, people do it because it makes them want to believe they more sophisticated than they actually are. "Booked Miami, not for the parties or anything, but instead for an art show"

On the bright side I got to meet a few artsy/hipster girls which are the best <3
    Very little of Modern Art appeals to me. My take is similar to Dali when Andy Warhol presented him his latest work. Salvador unzipped his pants and urinated on the Warhol in a social room at the St Regis in NYC.
    rosebudd likes this.