Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default In need of some local advice!

Hi all, this website seems to be a fantastic resource from the various threads I've read so far - so thank you. I'm being relocated from the UK to Miami for work in the new year and am struggling to know where to locate myself. I should say that I grew up in Florida (Clearwater & Miami) as a kid so i have fond memories but its been a while since I've spent some time there recently and I probably won't have much time to visit and check out areas before my move. My office is situated in Doral but I'm keen to balance living close enough for the commute not to kill me verses actually living in a vibrant area. Luckily my employer will be covering most or all of the costs so I'm really interested to hear what you guys suggest as the areas to check out. I love the beach, walking running, going out for evening drinks, shopping, fishing pretty much anything. Equally love to escape the buzz and go road-tripping out of town. Thoughts please and if you could give an idea of realistic (i.e including traffic!) commute times to/from Doral that would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Default Re: In need of some local advice!

Hi and welcome to the forums. What a great move! So many people want to move here and you are already set up that you have the job and someone else is even paying for the relocation.

Hoppie works out that way and could give good advice. I would suggest Coral Gables or South Miami to start with if you want some community vibe and places to go out.

May at I ask, what employer needs someone from London over an American to do the job? Is it aviation?

Yeah I"ll second Jess' recommendation for Coral Gables. It's not too far on the freeway and has a nice little walkable downtown with pretty much everything you'd want if you're not looking for big clubs and the like.

The issue with working in Doral is actually the street traffic getting to and from the freeway. So unless you live right next to where you work you're gonna deal with that no matter what. Basically Doral sucks and there's not much you can do about it. BUT if you only have a short drive once you're ON that freeway you're good. Just be warned Coral Gables can also get some real nasty street traffic so try and live as far north and toward the 836 as you can. Otherwise you may be looking at 45 minutes of traffic each way.

New User

Jess, Matt, thank you so much for such quick responses and great advice. I'm gonna check those suggestions out now. I have heard Coral Gables from a few sources - its now definitely on my list to check out early next year. And yes Jess - it is aviation, great guess!