Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Cocaine Cowboy era

New User

Default Cocaine Cowboy era

Hi I need info about Cocaine Cowboy era, yes I've got the Doc films. I need books and info about Miami in the 1980's and the Drug War,

LW

Default Re: Cocaine Cowboy era

I'd start perhaps with archives from the Herald newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'd start perhaps with archives from the Herald newspaper.
    What Jess said. The Herald archives are invaluable for this kinda stuff. Anything by Edna Buchanan.

New User

How do I access Miami Herald archives?, one can't learn from that era from watching Miami Vice TV series. There is a book called Cocaine Wars that I felt was a good information book.

LW

You can go to Herald.com and search archives back to 1982...

http://www.miamiherald.com/site-services/archives/

It'll cost you money, though. I used it a lot when we did true crime stories on this site and it was immensely helpful. They also have historic archives, but those are a little more involved since not all of it is online. Are you in Miami? You might have to go to the Herald HQ and look yourself. Or order it on microfiche.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    What Jess said. The Herald archives are invaluable for this kinda stuff. Anything by Edna Buchanan.
    You interviewed her, right ?

My only Cocaine Cowboy moment happened in Cali, Colombia. Was gassing up before our excursion to Buga. All of a sudden, a convoy arrive at the gas station surrounding a Cadillac El Dorado. The driver wore a three piece John Travolta suit as did his Chimpanzee riding shot gun. It's was Colombian Valentine's Day and we were invited to my gf's family's friend which ended up being a compound. Same caravan passed by our celebration and noticed owner's son talking to John Travolta. I 180'd and told my gf: Let's leave.

That said, it's pretty sad commentary how some romanticize that period. It was brutal and perhaps the only way to put Miami on the map. Maybe because of that, it's still dysfunctional and nobody really cares.

Miami has ALWAYS been dysfuntional, it's not like it was this nice well-run efficient city full of good people before the 80s. It's history is rooted in corruption and criminals, and it pretty much continues on today. Just with taller buildings and more criminals.
    Jess likes this.