Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 4 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: #OrlandoStrong

Default #OrlandoStrong

We knew it was inevitable. Just didn't know how'd play out.

That sentiment I also heard my first visit to Colombia. I landed in Bogota the day after Galan got slaughtered. By the time I got to Cali, the chatter was; ahora nod va tocar. Simply put, it means out turn is coming up.

I'm surprised the way it went but not that Orlando is now amongst the city hit the hardest. For three years, Orlando has been setting national records as far as visitors go. It's among the juiciest soft targets that exists. And it was bound to happen.

Little by little, I've been trying to embrace Orlando and it's actually been progressing quite well. I reside 33 mi. SW but I'm all in now and #OrlandoStrong. Beyond that, we're #FloridaStrong and we'll pull through in the face of heinous cowardice.

Orlando doesn't have the culture of NYC or Boston, nor their bravado. I've been watching local and national news and the response of local and state authories has been good and level headed in light of our nation's biggest mass shooting.

If only I could authorize a Crusade.

Stay safe peeps......
    Jess, moltobene and Matt Meltzer like this.

Default Re: #OrlandoStrong

There are no words for what happened.

has there been an #orlandostrong movement like in Boston?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    has there been an #orlandostrong movement like in Boston?

Yes but a totally different STRONG. More kumbaya than Big Papi telling the crowd " we're going to f them up ! )

I've never been an Orlando guy it's nice seeing the city come together. Gone twice to see the memorial. If you ask me, too much focus on LGBT than the real issue at had. It's like nobody's pissed and wants to go FUBAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    If you ask me, too much focus on LGBT than the real issue at had. It's like nobody's pissed and wants to go FUBAR.
    Well he did specifically target the gay club on a latin night....he was most likely in the closet himself and couldn't face reality.

He was in the closet. He had been at the club as a patron many times before the night he went and killed all those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    He was in the closet. He had been at the club as a patron many times before the night he went and killed all those people.
    That's the narrative at the moment. This wound is still fresh. I lean towards this guy being more cunning than gay. The FBI already discounted he had a Grinder account. If he was a closet gay, it doesn't matter.

Marc: yes it was a gay club and noche Latina. Bottom line these were innocent citizens living within the parameters of a free society. Same right we both have. I'd expound more in due course. I already see the FBI/Justice dep. having difficulties. I think you and I understand the low-down.

Does it really matter the motivation? Anyone who shoots up anywhere is a crazy person, whether it's because they got ignored in high school or they're homophobes or mad at an ex-wife. It's really a non-issue, the issue is addressing mental health and gun availability. Hard to argue a guy who'd been investigated for links to terror groups should just be able to buy an assault rifle.

Does it really matter the motivation? Anyone who shoots up anywhere is a crazy person, whether it's because they got ignored in high school or they're homophobes or mad at an ex-wife. It's really a non-issue, the issue is addressing mental health and gun availability. Hard to argue a guy who'd been investigated for links to terror groups should just be able to buy an assault rifle.
    Here Here!

I think motivation is important. In the end, it boils down to mental state of health. Based on our history, it's way too common even in the abense of the "Islamic "angle. What went through Oklamhoma Bomber's mind when he was administered a needle ? What goes through the mind of one of many dudes that shot down and killed 14 innocents in Chicago this weekend.

As for me, every time I go back home, I order a from Rick's on Riverside Dr. A short drive away, I park on Waverly Dr. munch on fries and try to reconstruct the Labianca murder.

We live in different times today. The domestic crap is bad enough. We have enough issues here dealing with a Zombie eating a dude's eye ball out. It does matter that shit happening recently is inspired elsewhere. We have our own traditional craziness to deal with.

Why not have our representives acknowledge the foreign inspired BS ? I think it's a worthy justicifation to think that way. And there are some that think gun legislation would have kept Versace alive.

You're right. But again, I don't think even the NRA should argue that someone on a no-fly list should be allowed to buy an assault rifle. WE WON'T EVEN LET THE PERSON ON AN AIRPLANE. Think about that for a second. If we're willing to restrict that, we should also restrict their ability to purchase something else that can kill people. There's gun control, and there's common goddam sense.
    Jess likes this.

You're right. But again, I don't think even the NRA should argue that someone on a no-fly list should be allowed to buy an assault rifle. WE WON'T EVEN LET THE PERSON ON AN AIRPLANE. Think about that for a second. If we're willing to restrict that, we should also restrict their ability to purchase something else that can kill people. There's gun control, and there's common goddam sense.
    It's a sad situation.... just as some representatives electing to behave like UC Berkely undergrads. Totally uncalled for and underscores the distinction of DC.
    The two points of contention have merits all can agree on. An issue easily resolved at a Georgetown pub... but no. The Vitriol is too thick.

It's gotten to a point where I don't mind a modern version of Burr & Hamilton settling the issue with a duel at a river bank in Weehawken. Spill blood and let's move forward.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 06-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.