Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I miss the the real MB 411

Default I miss the the real MB 411

For starters, I love Gus & Michelle. Wish them them well and congratulate them for their new borne. Because of them, we have this outlet. It's also been a time since they weighed in. Among that, the native participants are also non-present which which makes this site more like the official Miami site that operates from Texas. Perhaps a biz decision, but that was my major attraction.

Today, the site with a TX provides pretty much the same or better info.

Though I don't dedicate 100% of my time in Miami, I pretty much have the transplant opinion null and void. Been coming to Miami since 82 and before many here have been born.

Miami is a worthy, as 100 other places. Gus, a friendly reminder to step up this site. It's getting stale.

Peace

Default Re: I miss the "the real NB 411"

Interesting take, Bloackford. Admittedly I think I shoulder some of the blame here, since I had to stop writing here as the rest of my life got hectic. I still weigh in on the forums, but I think the reduced content has definitely hurt our SEO.

I still think we provide some good insight, though, since you've got people like me, Jess and Marc who not only live here full time, but are inherently invested in the city and have a specific knowledge you won't find elsewhere. And of course rk, who literally knows everything. It's not the depth of contributors we once had, no. But I think given what we've got we do a pretty great job.
    Jess, rk and jwisdom789 like this.

Matt; I hope this didn't read as a dig. It's a natural progression with all forums. They all have glory days and doldrums are inevitable.

This site is still invaluable. More some than others. It's lost that communal family feel from when I first signed on. You know, I got to meet many of you. Those still here and many that are no longer heard.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    This site is still invaluable. More some than others. It's lost that communal family feel from when I first signed on. You know, I got to meet many of you. Those still here and many that are no longer heard.
    I agree to that point to a degree.

When I joined in 2009, I hadn't even moved to Miami yet. I was like Jess, just waiting for my dream to come true.

I'm going to Maine/NH next month and would love a site like this so I don't end up going to the tourist spots for my short time there.

As Matt said, Me and Jess do what we can.
    I try to log on every day and see the updates. I wish there were more people like myself but people have lives and jobs & things get in the way.

I'm happy to help when I can and post reviews of new things I've tried. I truly love Miami Beach & most of Miami/S. Florida so its easy for me to write about.

Plus , I hate when people get scammed so I try to look out for those coming here. Not just with real estate either, i'll help with car dealers, cell phone places, insurance companies, condo associations, etc. when I can .

We have a really good 'core' of people on here, just need to expand it a little to get some different takes on things.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Today, the site with a TX provides pretty much the same or better info.

Miami is a worthy, as 100 other places. Gus, a friendly reminder to step up this site. It's getting stale.

Peace
    A site run from Texas cannot be compared to us locals living in the 305.

How do you want Gus to 'step it up' exactly? Yes the site has changed focus to more travel and tours style. I still think we provide key info to people traveling and wishing to move here. And that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    A site run from Texas cannot be compared to us locals living in the 305.

How do you want Gus to 'step it up' exactly? Yes the site has changed focus to more travel and tours style. I still think we provide key info to people traveling and wishing to move here. And that's a good thing.

No argument here. The Texas site is paid to promote Miami. It does provide good content though, especially with up to date on happenings in town. A subsidy they'd certainly lose if if their narratives didn't always smell like roses.

Their article yesterday on King of Diamonds opening this weekend on Ocean Dr. was neutral. Personally it doesn't bother me. It's another typical corrupt shennenigan and worthy of being a "hot local topic." I'm sure Matt has a opinion on this matter as all others. It's an issue like this, as many others, that makes this a superior site with local input without the fear of being disparaging.

I can think of a few things to spice this site up a bit, and I also realize this site also has to generate business and cut costs. I get that me missing Doug, Carlos & Maria is not a priority. Great content then than you can't deny.

Default Re: I miss the the real MB 411

Essentially, this forum is here to provide tourists and visitors with answers to their questions. I think there was a time that we had way too many locals shooting the breeze. The questions being asked by newbies were lost in a bunch of 305-ers talking about Miami, which ultimately didn't really serve the purpose of the site.

I joined in 2008 to help me plan my move. And this site was invaluable. I am glad we provide the info we did then, and still do now. As long as there are people providing helpful answers, then 411 is doing what it set out to do. Obviously that's my opinion. If you miss Carlos and Maria, you can easily chat with them on twitter, they're still around in miami I believe.

Essentially, this forum is here to provide tourists and visitors with answers to their questions. I think there was a time that we had way too many locals shooting the breeze. The questions being asked by newbies were lost in a bunch of 305-ers talking about Miami, which ultimately didn't really serve the purpose of the site.

I joined in 2008 to help me plan my move. And this site was invaluable. I am glad we provide the info we did then, and still do now. As long as there are people providing helpful answers, then 411 is doing what it set out to do. Obviously that's my opinion. If you miss Carlos and Maria, you can easily chat with them on twitter, they're still around in miami I believe.
    Not sure what "shooting the breeze" means in your example. It was always about Miami and perhaps a simplistic form of a native's narrative vs. a transplant.

Twitter obviously is not a format that's going to reproduce the dialogue we have here. I'm still in contact with G&J who oddly and rightfully are settling elsewhere in FL. Carlos is doing his thing in Cuba for a few months writing a book. Maria I'll contact next time down there for some Thai and shoot the breeze about "Miami Things" and nourish my knowledge. There's nothing wrong with that. 😉

I agree, we defintiely still serve a valuable purpose. And I miss being able to riff on some of the politically-incorrect aspects of Miami, since it's not something I get to do at Thrillist anymore (no joke, was recently told I couldn't make jokes about language barriers anymore) and that was fun. The KOD thing is so ridiculous, you know?

But glad people still come on here, and still care, and we might be smaller than we were but we've got a decent core I think.
    Jess and Anders like this.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I still think we provide some good insight, though, since you've got people like me, Jess and Marc who not only live here full time, but are inherently invested in the city and have a specific knowledge you won't find elsewhere. And of course rk, who literally knows everything. It's not the depth of contributors we once had, no. But I think given what we've got we do a pretty great job.
    Haha, almost missed this. Thanks, still mulling over the psychic hotline.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

rk you are a very valuable mb411 member!
    rk likes this.

rk

Thanks for the kind remark!

rk you are a very valuable mb411 member!

I'm going to ditto this statement.

You've called me out out on some misstatements which I appreciate and thank you for.

Miami is an allure that is easily over-exaggerated.

Every time I pump gas in-state, I wish Adam Putnam was running for the presidency, and actually you come to mind. Just might write you in.

RK is no nonsense, no games. Just the brutal facts which is superior to my subjective options. And no, even if I can wiggle i, A condo in MB will never be in my future. I'm trying to dump BK as we speak.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I'm trying to dump BK as we speak.
    PM me your listing (or unit number) and I'll send it to any buyers I have or come across in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    PM me your listing (or unit number) and I'll send it to any buyers I have or come across in the near future...

Thanks, Marc.

I'd appreciate a feeler for now. Miami is her baby, but life's circumstances favor my argument simpler is better. I think you know the building, so I won't publish it hear. You have access to the records and unit 1808 was recorded at 880.000 3/4 years ago. M.R. Are the initials on the deed.

Our financials have changed and Miami is an expense we can easily discard. I've sold ice to eskimos, but selling her the idea to let this shit go has been a challenge.

As for myself, I'm not giving up on Miami. Prefer a simple house inland, with a yard. Or maybe a horse farm in Ocala. 😄

I'mmalso wondering, have you noticed any Brexit effect in Miami ?

Our financials have changed and Miami is an expense we can easily discard. I've sold ice to eskimos, but selling her the idea to let this shit go has been a challenge.

As for myself, I'm not giving up on Miami. Prefer a simple house inland, with a yard. Or maybe a horse farm in Ocala. ��

I'm also wondering, have you noticed any Brexit effect in Miami ?
    Oh, I thought you said you were actively trying to sell it, meaning it was already on the market & taking showings.

Depending on finishes/upgrades, I'd say between $1ML-$1.2ML for that unit. Your building is much more valuable than the 1 next to it.

You bought at a good time in 2013 so you will make some gain. Since it wasn't your primary residence you'll end up paying capital gains tax on the profit unless you re-invest it within 60 days of closing into another investment property (1031 Exchange). At least it was rented when you bought it so you satisfied the investment criteria for the 1031 exchange. But you can't use the profit to buy something in Costa Rica to avoid the gain ;-)

Did you see unit #401 is about to sell in the low 800s? Someone is getting a steal of deal for that view & over 2300sq ft of living space.

Such a great building & amenities but if you aren't using it, those HOA fees are a 'big nut' as my dad would say.

If you can wait another 45 days, it may behoove you to wait to list it so the new 'If you buy $1ML condo or above in all cash the Govt wants to know who you are' thing expires (unless they decide to extend but thats only if they stopped real crimes from happening). It may open up the $1ML+ luxury market again which softened a bit this year thus far. (Plus there are 2 other '08 lines on the market right now so let them get sold or taken off the market to lessen the inventory)

Just my $.02 ;-)

Regarding Brexit, not so much in Miami but I noticed some eager sellers in Davenport up by you where I had some clients looking to do a USDA Loan (100% financing for rural areas). I'm wondering if the Brits will want to keep renting them out or sell but keep their $ in the US banks since its worth about 10% more now so they have more money to vacation with? Or if its the reverse effect and by their pound dropping, they are less likely to want to do deal now.
    Last edited by Marc Middleton; 07-10-2016 at 04:39 PM.

New User

I am in the midst of planning my move to SoBe. These forums have provided me the most useful information. Thanks to all the contributors, and hopefully this site will continue to remain relevant well into the future.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

So glad we could be of service!
    Marc Middleton likes this.

That's how it started for me too! As long as people move and visit Miami, we will be helpful

rk

Thanks Blackford, always enjoy your posts because they are so often outside the box.

re. the topic of this thread, I think a major loss was our late departed friend Fred, sorely missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast