Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rk

Thread: Help with choosing a Hotel

New User

Default Help with choosing a Hotel

I have posted this this message in Hotel and lodgings, but no response ! I am hoping for some help here .

Myself and children (17, 14) have our first trip to Miami Beach in August 2016 . I have booked the Shepley, but have recently found out that they do not have microwaves in the guest rooms , neither do they have a pool, so I am thinking of cancelling . I was wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel with the following ; Good transport links, nightlife, free breakfast, pool , a microwave would be great to have but not as important, refrigerator and walking distance to the beach . I obviously have to make a decision very soon as to which Hotel to stay at . My Budget is $150 per night . I don't know if my budget is too low, any guidance will be really helpful! Many thanks

Default Re: Help with choosing a Hotel

Pick a chain hotel, they will all have microwaves and at least mini-fridges if not bigger fridges. Residence Inn just opened in South Beach, its off the beaten path a bit.

Go a little further north if you need to, like the Courtyard Miami Beach (not the one on WashingtonAve). It has a nice pool and restaurant/bar with direct beach access. The Loews/Delano/ShoreClub/National/South Beach Marriott/Eden Roc/FontaineBleu, etc. will all be over budget.

$150 is good for weekdays, for weekends, it will be tough. At least August is a slower month (not as slow as Sept) as far as tourism goes.

Most South Beach hotels will be very small so expect minimalist layouts and not much in the terms of privacy. There is a brand new Residence Inn in Surfside that will give you more space and all residence inn's have kitchens.

Otherwise, book an AirBnb condo that offers a pool since all will have full kitchens...Maybe the Flamingo (1500 Bay Rd)..your 17 year old will love it there ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Pick a chain hotel, they will all have microwaves and at least mini-fridges if not bigger fridges. Residence Inn just opened in South Beach, its off the beaten path a bit.

Go a little further north if you need to, like the Courtyard Miami Beach (not the one on WashingtonAve). It has a nice pool and restaurant/bar with direct beach access. The Loews/Delano/ShoreClub/National/South Beach Marriott/Eden Roc/FontaineBleu, etc. will all be over budget.

$150 is good for weekdays, for weekends, it will be tough. At least August is a slower month (not as slow as Sept) as far as tourism goes.

Most South Beach hotels will be very small so expect minimalist layouts and not much in the terms of privacy. There is a brand new Residence Inn in Surfside that will give you more space and all residence inn's have kitchens.

Otherwise, book an AirBnb condo that offers a pool since all will have full kitchens...Maybe the Flamingo (1500 Bay Rd)..your 17 year old will love it there ;-)
    Never thought MM would make my case in why Julia Tuttle should've done more, or wear perfume to acquiesce Flager. But I guess gutting old buildings with cheap facades and minimalist pools and amenities is cool.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Thank you so much for your reply ! The kids don't know they are going yet ... its a surprise . I know they kids will love it there !

We really don't have much for public transportation, but the South Beach local is a nice little bus that does loops around South Beach. Maybe you'd want to stay somewhere along there?

Otherwise the cheaper places will be up north of South Beach and require an inconsistent trip on the public buses. I like Marc's suggestions.

New User

Thanks for the information . if I decide to go to a Hotel that doesn't provide free breakfast, how costly is breakfast at diners? My budget has increased to $200. Does this make much difference to better choice of Hotel ?
    Last edited by Missmomteach; 07-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.

In August..200dollar night? I think if you check trivago.com, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for at the Mondrian Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Missmomteach View Post
    Thanks for the information . if I decide to go to a Hotel that doesn't provide free breakfast, how costly is breakfast at diners? My budget has increased to $200. Does this make much difference to better choice of Hotel ?
    $200 for a weekday is plenty, it'll be too less still for the weekend.

Regarding the comment from Toni at the Mondrian, sure $200 is possible but don't forget parking is $30-$40/night and breakfast at a hotel like Mondrian is going to run you $75-$90 or 3 people not ordering kids menu items. ($16-$20 per person, plus tax, auto gratuity, juice is usually $4-$6 per person, etc.)

The hotels on the beach also have resort fees of $20-$30/night as well so it all adds up. $200 is going to be tight for a decent hotel with a nice pool, trust me.

New User

Thumbs up Re: Help with choosing a Hotel

A thousand and one thanks for the advice!

yes that's true..if you having breakfast at the hotel it will be more expensive..But I would avoid to have breakfast at the hotel.
    There are so much other location you can have a good breakfast for less money. (for example, La Provenche (they don't charge you 20% tip), Aroma Bar, and also some goods location near west ave and alton road......(just talking about SoBe)

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_ View Post
    yes that's true..if you having breakfast at the hotel it will be more expensive..But I would avoid to have breakfast at the hotel.
    There are so much other location you can have a good breakfast for less money. (for example, La Provenche (they don't charge you 20% tip), Aroma Bar, and also some goods location near west ave and alton road......(just talking about SoBe)
    To be honest , unless Breakfast is included , I will not eat at the Hotel . I can imagine how expensive it would be there! Many thanks

AirBnB!!

New User

I had a look at Airbnb but it suits us to get accommodation from a hotel . I have now got two choices of which I would like anyone's opinion on . The first is Hampton Inn 17th street and the second is Wynwood South Beach Hotel, the latter doesn't have a great review , because of noise/ age of property . I am not particularly bothered by those. It does have a microwave and fridge and near to the beach . Are either hotels in good safe areas . As I said before , I will be traveling with my 17 and 14 year old daughters .
    Many thanks .

mmh..you can also try suites espanola way...just make sure your room is not facing the espanola way....or another hotel Riviera Hotel
    It has also everything you're looking for...and should not be so expensive.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_ View Post
    mmh..you can also try suites espanola way...just make sure your room is not facing the espanola way....or another hotel Riviera Hotel
    It has also everything you're looking for...and should not be so expensive.
    Yet again Toni ! You have been bags of help. I had a quick look at El Paseo Hotel on esponola way , but the Riviera seems better and so I am now leaning towards that hotel. I will look for deals with this Hotel this evening .
    Many thanks

Yet again Toni ! You have been bags of help. I had a quick look at El Paseo Hotel on esponola way , but the Riviera seems better and so I am now leaning towards that hotel. I will look for deals with this Hotel this evening .
    Many thanks
    you're welcome

I had a look at Airbnb but it suits us to get accommodation from a hotel . I have now got two choices of which I would like anyone's opinion on . The first is Hampton Inn 17th street and the second is Wynwood South Beach Hotel, the latter doesn't have a great review , because of noise/ age of property . I am not particularly bothered by those. It does have a microwave and fridge and near to the beach . Are either hotels in good safe areas . As I said before , I will be traveling with my 17 and 14 year old daughters .
    Many thanks .
    If its the Wyndam garden inn on Washington, its a good place. They were recently closed for renovations so it should be nice, plus there is a pool.

I don't consider any part of South Beach 'unsafe', just watch your surroundings as you would in any city.

I can't say I've ever seen a Hampton Inn on South Beach. I know they just opened a Hyatt Centric and Aloft hotel (the latter being a better option if its in budget).

rk

Hampton Inn south beach is at 1700 Collins (former Claremont Hotel). It opened last September after extensive renovations, and I think if you're getting it within your budget it's the best choice among the ones mentioned above.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Thank you everyone for your contribution ! I believe the Hotel we will be staying at has been mentioned ! ~I am just going to search for the best Hotel deals . I will post an update when we get back .
    Many thanks

Please do. And also include your picks for cheap breakfast. I'm always hard up for that one other then Einstien Brothers and Dunkin Donuts.