Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Anthony Bourdain's Miami

Before AB came into prominence, I was an undeclared Anthony Bourdain. One not hypnotized into hype and glitz. Always looking for the true local experience. That's we I was pleased with his conclusion on his third episode about Miami.

I'm going to forgive his first Miami episode and how he lured me to "La Perrada de Edgar." That day we descended to Miami, we cut off short of home and ventured into the Perrada in NMB.

Once at the establishment, it obvious the owner invested in a small HD tv to display on his counter. It ran a loop of Bourdain's visit. As a veteren and fan of Colombian hot dogs, had my share in Avenida Sexta in Cali,CO I was all in.

I ordered a VeneUelan dog and the contraption Bourdain ordered, fruits topped w/ whip cream. It was a disaster. Chunchè was with us, and he even protested on the dogs.

Since then, Bourdain has wised up and on his last episode, spoke to me. It might have aired earlier, but I caught the AB Marathon last weekend on CNN. After a couple of mistrials, I agree with his conclusion that the real Miami is on the mainland. He shunned the fake glitz and whipped cream.

Default Re: Anthony Bourdain's Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    After a couple of mistrials, I agree with his conclusion that the real Miami is on the mainland. He shunned the fake glitz and whipped cream.
    But that's his style..he's a dive bar kind of guy (which is why he always ends at Ted's, which of course is in Sobe).

He doesn't like the glitz and glam of any place. He likes the odd and strange.

His Parts Unknown of Miami with Iggy pop was one of the best episodes ever. That one, and the one from Iran.

His other shows, No Reservations & Layover, both went to Miami but they are mostly food based where as Parts Unknown sort of goes outside the food to other parts of the city and also deals a little bit with race/politics/current issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    But that's his style..he's a dive bar kind of guy (which is why he always ends at Ted's, which of course is in Sobe).

He doesn't like the glitz and glam of any place. He likes the odd and strange.

His Parts Unknown of Miami with Iggy pop was one of the best episodes ever. That one, and the one from Iran.

His other shows, No Reservations & Layover, both went to Miami but they are mostly food based where as Parts Unknown sort of goes outside the food to other parts of the city and also deals a little bit with race/politics/current issues.
    I'm with you on that. Loved the close with Iggy simply stating a hot quiet morning on a beach is supreme.

I found boring the gal that tagged. nothing learned there. Also suprisingly boring was the Rakontour duo. Pretty much a wasted segment. I'm not a Uncle Luke fan, but he and the other two brothers reoped Miami well.

I thought the one he did on Gaza was great, because it gave people a real idea of the people there. And how they really don't care about politics and things we get so upset about. It's also this whole cuisine Americans never get to experience.