• 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Next Visit--July 24 - July 29i

Default Next Visit--July 24 - July 29i

Greetings:

Arriving on a redeye this Sunday, 7/24, and staying at the Epic in downtown for 3 nights before I move over to SoBe and the Kaskades Suites for 2 nights.

Looks like I have a number of interesting options.....I have been to River Yacht Club at night and understand they have a well attended Sunday brunch....is it going to be too hot this Sunday/time of year and would you save this place for night when it cools down and attend the Mets-Marlins game that afternoon, instead--or, no, RYC is a fun place to be on Sunday afternoons???--could I go to the Mets game and then hit RYC after, around 4:30-5PM and would it still be happening??....if I pass on the Mets-Marlins game, I might try and catch a game the following night--Monday, instead, v. Phillies.

Might try and check out Ball & Chain in Little Havana....is there much of a difference/better night between a Sunday night (PIneapple Sundays and a Tuesday night (Electric Piquete)??....might grab dinner prior at La Camaronera, unless someone has a better recommendation.

In SoBe, on Wednesday night I definitely plan on hitting my 2 favorite spots--Bodega (live band) and Regents Cocktail Club (Havana Nights). Before then, will either hit Meat Market or Quality Meats....not sure if I will make it over to Baoli after the first 2 cocktail clubs.

For Thursday lunch, will try and get over to Izzy's for a lobster roll......not sure where to go later that evening--is there a place to be (not a club) on Thursday nights or cocktail bar/club to hit?....if not, I might just cruise on over to Sunset Harbour and either go to my ole reliable spot, Sardinia, or try Nairaya or Sushi Garage--unless you the Harbour is not happening on a Thursday evening and stick with SoFi--some combination of Smith & Wollensky/Reds followed by Cibo and/or Craft Social Club.

Friday, I head home--but I have almost a full day as my plane does not depart MIA until 8PM.....obviously, the beach or pool for a little bit.....following a 2PM checkout, I will end up working my way over to Anatomy @ 1220 in Sunset Harbour where I can get in a workout but also use their super clean locker/shower facilities to switch back into my suit for the flight home....any good recommendations for lunch this day??

Thanks
    Last edited by elchevere; 07-18-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Default Re: Next Visit--July 24 - July 29i

Wow, sounds like a well planned out trip. Thursday night I'd do SoFi and the bar at Smith and W simply as you could so sunset harbor for lunch the following day. Sunday brunch is so hot right now so if the roof is closed at the Marlins (it will be 100%), I'd head there for the game.

thanks....yeah, I am about to book tickets on Stubhub for the Sunday afternoon game...(too bad I'm not in the night before as there will be one heckuva pitching matchup--DeGrom v. Jose Fernandez)....can always check out River Yacht Club after the game, around 4:30-5:00PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    thanks....yeah, I am about to book tickets on Stubhub for the Sunday afternoon game...(too bad I'm not in the night before as there will be one heckuva pitching matchup--DeGrom v. Jose Fernandez)....can always check out River Yacht Club after the game, around 4:30-5:00PM.
    If you do the Monday game against PHI, I'll be there by myself if you want to meet up. My dad isn't coming down this year for the Phillies games and I usually catch 3-4 per season in Miami.

Sounds like you got a packed trip!

thanks for the offer...definitely going to Sunday afternoon's game, so I probably won't hit the game the following night--might check out the new Casa de Montecristo cigar/whiskey bar instead on Monday and watch the game there while smoking a cigar (or before the game) in Brickell if you don't end up going to the game...will have to keep in mind and post with more advanced notice on upcoming visits/when I move. I happen to like Marlins Park and can see going to half a dozen games or more during the season.
    Last edited by elchevere; 07-19-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Really? Its weird but I went way more at the old stadium. I hate paying for parking at this one.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

You can DEF hit up RYC after the game. It actually gets better later in the day so that's almost advisable.

For lunch Monday hit up Icebox if you haven't been yet. Or if you wanna head down to SoFi I just tried this new place called Lilikoi yesterday that's fantastic.

Thanks--if Icebox in Sunset Harbour, Ive been there and like it but will be at Epic Monday (not hitting SoBe until Wednesday)..might try Fooq's or Sugarcane if I get a chance...am working the early part of the week--not all play (just seems that way)...will look into Lilikoi, though it looks like a Vegan spot--hopefully other items on menu.

Looks like I might have to bring a sweater--weather forecast says its "only" getting up to the high 80's next week...cold front.
    Last edited by elchevere; 07-21-2016 at 03:44 PM.

In Miami? Only up to 80s? YES! (but heat index makes it 'feel like' way hotter so don't get excited).

I have found the weather/temperature to be quite pleasant these past 2 days...getting a nice breeze in downtown and Brickell...sweating a little, but not overly humid and not one mosquito bite as of yet...VICTORY!!

I did check out the new East Hotel near the new Brickell City Centre and it looks real cool...checked out their 5th floor pool area and restaurant, Quinto--Matt must be holding out on us....might go back for dinner there today and also check out their 40th floor rooftop bar that I think is called Sugar.

Pretty good game yesterday through 7 innings...hit River Yacht Club after the game--whomever hires the talent that works behind the bar should automatically qualify to become judge for the next Univision Miss Universe beauty pageant...the Brazilian and Cuban bartenders made the Presidente beer taste that much better.

The burger at Edge was a little off yesterday...maybe they switched meat suppliers.

Screw Quinto...slow, inattentive bartender--left after not even being at least acknowledged after 5-7 minutes while the bar was not that crowded. Maybe they should change their name to Despacio...went up to the rooftop/40th floor bar called Sugar that looks nice--might give that a shot in the future.

Quinto was aight. I didn't hate it but yeah the service was awful (is anyone surprised by this in a restaurant run by South Americans? Terrible service and Latin America go hand in hand) and the food wasn't memorable. I wouldn't go back and pay. No way.

Sugar is nice, but not worth the line. Go on a Monday or at 4pm on Friday.

Good to know on Sugar. I plan to check it out when I'm there next week. Open to other suggestions as well.

I liked Casa de Montecristo Cigar And Whiskey Bar....by all means check out River Yacht Club....if you go to E11even Club, grab dinner first at Fooq's
    jwisdom789 likes this.

We'll be staying in the building just behind the Intercontinental so we will definitely be going to Area 31, FIFTY Ultra, Sugar and La Mar at the Mandarin! Rusty Pelican, Monty's (CG), Biltmore and various spots on the beach will have to happen too.

You can skip Rusty Pelican. Nice view but that's about it. Biltmore is cool and old and grand, and an easy pool to crash. But if your time is limited getting there and back can be difficult, so keep that in mind. Especially during the week.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

oh I disagree, Rusty Pelican is yummy, and the view... omg hands down the best. I like the outside chairs around the fires, and you can drink and eat at those too.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    oh I disagree, Rusty Pelican is yummy, and the view... omg hands down the best. I like the outside chairs around the fires, and you can drink and eat at those too.
    yeah, plus you can tour key Biscayne before or after for a bit. Its a beautiful little slice of paradise.
    jwisdom789 likes this.