Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Vacations (2 adults + 1 baby)

New User

Default Vacations (2 adults + 1 baby)

Hi everyone.
    I will be in Miami between May 08 and 18 2017.
    It will be our first time in US, we are looking for the best possible combination of:
    1. Near the best Mall(s)
    2. Neat the best beaches (we've been told Sunny Isles Beaches will do)
    3. An appartment/room with kitchen (non negotiable)
    We are looking to spend approx. US1000 for the 10 day stay so Trump hotel is out of question for instance.
    Thanks in advance people!
    Kind regards.
    Nicolás.

Default Re: Vacations (2 adults + 1 baby)

Hi Nicolas,

With that budget Miami Beach is probably out of the question too. Sunny Isles is very nice, and close to Aventura Mall, which is the best shopping we have here. Check out air bnb to find yourself a good apartment with kitchen.

New User

And up to US1700?
    We checked the Ramada, the location can't be beaten. But didn't get good critics.
    Thanks for your FAST! response.

You're better off looking at airbnb instead of a hotel if you're wanting to spend less

Yeah, $100/night for 10 nights is going to be impossible in South Beach. Don't forget resort fees, parking ($25-$35/day), 11% taxes, etc.

Also check out Homeaway.com and see if you can rent a condo for 1-2 weeks.

They are really cracking down on that in South Beach. It's now a $20,000. yes 20K fine if you are caught renting your apartment illegally in a short term lease. There's signs all over my building, and people are talking about it. A friend had her air bnb cancelled on her by the building just before arrival saying the building can no longer short term rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    They are really cracking down on that in South Beach. It's now a $20,000. yes 20K fine if you are caught renting your apartment illegally in a short term lease. There's signs all over my building, and people are talking about it. A friend had her air bnb cancelled on her by the building just before arrival saying the building can no longer short term rent.

I think i read that review... (we we're staying in an AirBNB on our trip)

You can also look at apartments in Aventura. It's not close to the beach but super close to the mall and it might fall within your price range if you can find a good Air Bnb. That's getting out of expensive season in May, so it's wholly possibly you'll find something. but even at $1700 your selection's not going to be that big if you want to be near the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    It must be a problem downtown too because the one I stayed at technically wasn't allowed either, but the guy had the hookup with everyone who worked there!

I saw the Miami Beach mayor post on Facebook today he's proudly fined illegal Air Bnb owners $1.5 million so far. Not sure how I feel about that, I guess when hotels are the lifeblood of your economy, it makes sense.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jwisdom789 View Post
    It must be a problem downtown too because the one I stayed at technically wasn't allowed either, but the guy had the hookup with everyone who worked there!
    It's illegal in 99% of America, so no matter where you use AirBnb its going to have some legal issues. Very few go through the process of getting licensed and collecting taxes.

Rule of Thumb in the US: If its a condo building ,its illegal.

And houses in gated or HOA neighborhoods would frown upon it as well.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I saw the Miami Beach mayor post on Facebook today he's proudly fined illegal Air Bnb owners $1.5 million so far. Not sure how I feel about that, I guess when hotels are the lifeblood of your economy, it makes sense.
    People are getting fined all over the country, this isn't a 'Miami' thing or a 'hospitality driven city' thing. Its an 'illegal' thing.

Besides crippling hotels that pay their fare share in taxes and millions in impact fees to the city, it devalues condo buildings and neighborhoods and causes more nuisance for the neighbors abiding by the laws as well as more police wasting time on noise complaints or breaking up parties.

Don't get me wrong, I've used it and I've hosted, but the laws are the laws and you can't get mad when someone gets caught KNOWINGLY breaking a law.

I don't yell at a cop when i get a speeding ticket even though everyone speeds, just sayin....
    jwisdom789 likes this.

For the the sake of asking: what's the difference of renting out you condo vs. a northerner legally putting up his fixed week time share up for rent ? in a way, it's the same deal/product. Then I suppose the same entanglement that has involved Uber is playing out . Everyone wants a morsel and local government doesn't have faith people are going to report rental income and pay the corresponding tax.

Haven't ventured much to the idea of Arnb. Do they go full scale and report to the IRS and provide you the corresponding "W" statement. From the sounds of ot, and I'm not sure, it's likely that not and that's where the illegality probably is a factor. I truly don't know.

SO here's a question: Do you think it'll be like Uber, where public demand forces a change in laws? Like, if Air Bnb gets so popular, and becomes the de facto way of finding lodging, will governments who "Crack down" be met with the same level of public outrage?

I think no, as people who need rides vastly outnumber people looking for lodging. But it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    SO here's a question: Do you think it'll be like Uber, where public demand forces a change in laws? Like, if Air Bnb gets so popular, and becomes the de facto way of finding lodging, will governments who "Crack down" be met with the same level of public outrage?

I think no, as people who need rides vastly outnumber people looking for lodging. But it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
    My opinion, and I tend to think critically when possible, is that the Car rental companies really missed an opportunity to join with the taxi association to fight against Uber. They let them fight alone and couldn't lobby effectively. Now its too late and Uber is approved in many cities. Soon Hertz/Dollar/etc. will be wishing they stopped Uber when they realize people don't need to rent cars for their 1 day i town for business or whatever.

Regarding Blackie's question, AirBnb is now charging regular sales tax and they are also reporting your earnings to the IRS now as well.

Rental cars, though, are so differentiated by taxes that it would be tough for them to have a unified front. For instance, car rentals in Florida are insanely cheap, and if you're flying into FLL and spending the day in Miami and want to drive around, it's going to be cheaper to rent a car. In some cities the taxes are so high, a rental is like $80 a day for a compact, so Uber is cheaper. A lot depends on how far away the airport is too. In Denver, I think a rental will ALWAYS be cheaper. In Miami, probably not.