Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Zika Virus in miami Beach

Default Zika Virus in miami Beach

As predicted, the Zika virus is now spreading up through Florida... people are panicking and the CDC are issuing blanket statements to not travel to Miami.

I'm personally not worried. I'm not pregnant or planning to get that way. I use OFF repellent. I do get bitten a lot usually as I have O type blood, but even if you get Zika, it feels like the flu. And they don't know if the fetal complications are from Zika or the poisonous chemicals they spray.

What's your opinion on the latest health scare?

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Zika Virus in miami Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    As predicted, the Zika virus is now spreading up through Florida... people are panicking and the CDC are issuing blanket statements to not travel to Miami.

I'm personally not worried. I'm not pregnant or planning to get that way. I use OFF repellent. I do get bitten a lot usually as I have O type blood, but even if you get Zika, it feels like the flu. And they don't know if the fetal complications are from Zika or the poisonous chemicals they spray.

Honestly I'm more concerned about all that deet they are hosing down Wynwood with. I'd rather not grow another head in ten years.

Not concerned at all with the Zika virus.

The babies being born with the defects were before they started spraying and there are cases in Texas and Cali now.

The virus can lay dormant in your system for a long time. I don't 'worry' about it, but I'm def not going to Wynwood/Midtown anytime soon. I can wait to eat overpriced food and see graffiti another time.

And when it rains, I won't be going outside to play at any parks with my son right afterwards either.
    Matt Meltzer and jwisdom789 like this.

I've read once you've been infected you are immune for an unknown amount of time however it appears to be long term. I don't think it'd bother me if I got infected. I won't be having children and the side effects seem to be minimal.

I did read a story today that says it could cause brain damage...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7198876.html

Tat said as health scares go I'm not sure why people are so worried about this one. Excpet that people are sheep and tend to panic whenever they're told to. My friend had an Uber driver the other day who refused to let her roll the windows down in the Beach because he was afraid of the mosquitoes. Would have been fine except he didn't have AC.
    Jess likes this.

This Zika deal is something to take seriously, especially from the aspect of local economic impact. People by nature are going to panic and delay or postpone travel to affected areas.

Case in point is Iquitos, the most vibrant sector of the Amazon. A place you are permitted with proof of inoculations vs. Malaria. That's a buereuacratic and immigration issue. Bypassing Miami is just as easy an no big deal.

So we have that and a potential hurricane brewing. #onlyinmiami

Maybe the hurricane will wipe out the Zika. That's how it works, right?
    jwisdom789 likes this.

The City sprayed early this morning. We turned off our ac at 5am, and the planes were overhead at 5:10am. It kinda felt like we were in a war, they fly really really low. And this morning there were definitely lesser people outside.

Watched on the news MB will start aerial spraying tomorrow. An ingredient in the pesticide is banned in several countries so that does sound an alarm. it's basicsally a, damn if we do, damn if we don't.

I had aerial spraying in Los Angeles during the Meditteran Fruitfly outbreak. It lasted a bit. Nothing that caused concerned other than initial growls. If you're car is exposed, I'd recommend a car wash after the the chemical elements have settled. Have a feeling down the line some dude is going to bitch his Ferrai turned pink.

In the meantime, just noticed my first case of fornicating Love Bugs. They invade parts of Florida in May and September, probably no further south than Stuart. Sure Marc can tell you about them with his experience in CFL. Thought these horny bastards where to kill off mosquitos. #ChaosTheory

It's not banned in Europe actually. When the EU regulations came in, the manufacturer decided to not apply for the registration as Naled wasn't used there anyway. So, thats the reason it is not used, not cos Europe said no but more that the company never tried to send it there.

It's not banned in Europe actually. When the EU regulations came in, the manufacturer decided to not apply for the registration as Naled wasn't used there anyway. So, thats the reason it is not used, not cos Europe said no but more that the company never tried to send it there.
    I read what you just typed online and then Bill Corben tweeted the same article with a photo of one of the naled ingredients and the EU showing = Banned.

So its very confusing.

The conspiracy theorists are saying the spray hurts pregnant women and they wanted to fly drones up to the plane to disrupt it.

The whole thing is crazy, its ruined our summer. When it was just Midtown, it was one thing. Now its all over Sobe and most likely North Beach. so with a baby and a hot day every day, we are stuck going to the mall or other indoor playgrounds.

There are some really cheap homes in Maine & New Hampshire. Thinking about buying one and shipping my family there for the next few months :-)
    Last edited by Marc Middleton; 09-12-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Went through this drill 25 years ago with weekly Malarone spraying for an extended period in LA.

Use your judgement but freaking out in this issue is AA baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Use your judgement but freaking out in this issue is AA baseball.
    The symptoms can be pretty bad..and worse for a baby

I doubt it is North Beach. The amount is so small, plus it rained Sunday right after the spray so that probably washed most of it away.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I doubt it is North Beach. The amount is so small, plus it rained Sunday right after the spray so that probably washed most of it away.
    Right, so there are even more mosquitoes now since it rained..I'm sure its all over Miami now, they just haven't caught it yet or tested more bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    The symptoms can be pretty bad..and worse for a baby

Was being a bit cynical. I'm viewing it like those studies we get each year about eating eggs. I think the latest says they're OK until next year's will conclude the opposite.

Chemicals are never a good idea. This is a topic that warrants Moral Algrebra.

When you quote the New Times, I can't take it too seriously.

I'm just reiterating what I read on the government website about Naled.

And anyway, none of you live in SoBe except me, so don't worry so much

When you quote the New Times, I can't take it too seriously.

I'm just reiterating what I read on the government website about Naled.

And anyway, none of you live in SoBe except me, so don't worry so much
    Wife and I are scheduled to come down 9/23-25, but now re-thinking it. I'm trying to figure out how exactly they determined that the "Transmission Zone" is from 8th-28th Streets? Like can't mosquitoes fly? If you look at their map, are they saying that if I stay in SoFi I'm ok? Like no, no a mosquito would never cross 5th Street. Doesn't that seem weird that they would cut it off at 8th?

The whole thing to me is ridiculous. There's only 64 cases, and no one has had a small headed baby. If you aren't planning to have a baby, I really would not worry. There's a lot worse to worry about in Miami Beach before Zika. Also, just use a good bug spray and you won't be bitten.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Damn this Zika virus sure is getting around. I saw an article that people in Ireland have been getting it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast