Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: RIP Jose Fernandez

Default RIP Jose Fernandez

Tragic story.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...104071446.html

As a baseball fan, particularly a Dodger fan, today was meant to celebrate Vin Scully's last calls at Dodger Stadium after 67 glorious years ... then I just find out about the tragic accident of earlier this morning. I'm totally bummed out.

Needless to say, today's game at Marlin's Park has been canceled and he was scheduled to pitch. So sad.

Not sure the particulars of the boating accident and I'll withhold judgement till all the facts are out, then I might comment on what I have seen in our local waters.

I guess this puts the idea of " Operation Wet Dade" to rest. We've commented on the trafiic there and the risks for some time now.

Terrible tragedy, found out at breakfast this morning by my waitress..didn't believe it at first!

Apparently the boat owner was speeding thru Govt cut and hit the jetty (rocks) and they all died.

only 24 years old with a pregnant wife :-(

That's nuts man. I remember when those guys from the Cleveland Indians had the same thing happen when I was a kid. Just goes to show nobody is invincible.

Aw man, I remember "Wet Dade." Fred Garvin coined that I think. RIP times 2.

Craziness. I'm out of the country right now but someone told me about it. Is it all over the cable channels?

Default Re: RIP Jose Fernandez

Sorry everyone, as you can see I merged the two threads, but somehow merged all your posts into one! So everyone's first posts are above... sorry.

As for the accident, I truly hope it was just human error without drugs or alcohol, cos that really would be a shame to know it could have been avoided.

...I was a teenager in NY when the Thurman Munson tragic accident happened....Dee Gordon answered the bell last night and was the Marlins' Bobby Murcer (close friend of Munson's on the team who had 5 RBI's the first game played after Munson's death).

"The Cleveland Indians had the same thing happen when I was a kid. Just goes to show nobody is invincible"

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

The jetty is pretty well lit.

From the photos that boat had to be going pretty fast.

So sad.

RIP.

I'd say maybe the people of Miami could take a lesson from this, and maybe stop driving their boats like assholes all the time. But we all know that's not going to happen.

He hit the rocks though, at South Pointe which stick much further out than the Jettys. It happened between 2-3am, so it would have been pitch black. Such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I'd say maybe the people of Miami could take a lesson from this, and maybe stop driving their boats like assholes all the time. But we all know that's not going to happen.
    Last year a ~ 40+ footer went full throttle near on our little skiff on purpose, sending a wave over us and almost capsizing our tiny skiff. F'n kids were seen laughing from the stern. Unfortunately that's all I saw as we almost had an emergency situation.

That's probably the most negligent I've seen or experienced but I see crap all the time. One thing I will say is the no-wake zone we live next to gets respected.
    Jess likes this.