Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hurricane Matthew

Default Re: Hurricane Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
    Are people in Miami vacating or mostly staying put? I live in Miami Beach, but on the west side. I have the option to go stay on the mainland. It's more inland, but also more North, closer to Hollywood. Not sure if it's going to be safer closer to the beach but more south, or more north but inland? I've been through multiple hurricane warnings here, that turned unto very weak storms, but this doesn't look the same. It's concerning that it's so close to the Miami line, just a bit more south and we could be in trouble. Not sure if it's even possible to leave at this point.
    Away from the beach.

Most of us are transplants and this will be our first hurricane. I moved to FL in 04 and immediately got hit by three. As far as Wilma, I arrived the next day.

Charlie was a cat 3 and it knocked power out for three days. Take note I live in a deed restricted town and we got our shit together. If the same happened in Miami we wouldn't have power for weeks as happened after Wilma in some parts of SFL.

By the looks of it, Miami might be the best place to be on the Atlantic side. My area in CFL just made the cut and officially got placed in a "significant damage zone." On a positive note, my house is 14 years old and meets the standards set after Andrew. I expect it to hold up well though my lanai is vulnerable. Just got a new roof a few months ago and I certainly don't want another ordeal to replace it as it looks so beautiful.

Anyways... the warnings for Matthew are more dire than it was for Charlie. One neighbor was boarded and I share that pic in sun light. My boards are resting in the garage and I'll spare the time to drill those in place. As for my activity during Matthew, I'll be doing some interior painting. Just waiting for Liquor at Walgreens to open up and get a couple 24 cases of Modelo and I'll be good.

Have fun and be safe.

I'm prepared for Matthew but just recieved some disturbing news. A Miami neighbor was checking up on me and thereafter sent me a video that mostly all balconies on Brickell Key II haven't done squat as far as clearing out balconies on the southern flank. I'm talking about patio furniture, bicycles and even grills. We used to own in that building and remember HOA making us take down our hammock.

It's still early but I just called my building's front desk to contact theirs and act on removing or clearing the balconies. Everyone has to do their part and act responsibly.

This afternoon I'm going to follow-up.

Y'all be careful. We're still in Texas but watching closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Asunnysnowman View Post
    Y'all be careful. We're still in Texas but watching closely.
    Miami getting nothing but windy rain. How that is mismanaged locally is another story to tell later on.

Have barely got any rain so far in N Miami. I heard 7400 people lost Power in Miami, not sure how. I guess there is more wind and rain in areas west of Biscayne and further south than me.

I guess the brunt of it comes tonight, so we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Miami getting nothing but windy rain. How that is mismanaged locally is another story to tell later on.
    I'd be happy to hear. I just went under contract on a condo and live in a town where our worst natural disaster is Drought so all of this is new. We get flash floods, but nothing like this.

I heard the theoretically awesome pumps they had installed weren't even working earlier this week?

New User

It looks like the eye of it is already north of Miami. Does that mean we are in the clear already or will the worst come when it gets closer to land?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Have barely got any rain so far in N Miami. I heard 7400 people lost Power in Miami, not sure how. I guess there is more wind and rain in areas west of Biscayne and further south than me.

I guess the brunt of it comes tonight, so we'll see!

One meteorologist said "Miami is definitely off the hook "

Let's not celebrate yet ! Don't forget Matthew is projected to boomerang back south as a cat 1-2.
    Asunnysnowman likes this.

New User

Let's not celebrate yet ! Don't forget Matthew is projected to boomerang back south as a cat 1-2.
    Let's hope not. This was nerve-racking enough! What I read:

“The second landfall, if it does happen … is considerably less of a worry than what’s going to occur in the next day or two,” Maue says. “Florida is going to take a lot of the punch out of it when it hits land” the first time.
    And if that’s not enough, when it starts to make the circle it will hit strong upper level dry winds that will decapitate the storm, Masters says. There’s a good chance it won’t even be a tropical storm, just a depression or a wave or some kind of remnant, Maters says.

Nah, it'll be a Tropical Storm and prob go towards the bahamas again (sadly).

A lot of prep in Miami for nothing...

Gus Michelle and myself spent a lazy afternoon eating and watching the storm... nothing too interesting happened in Miami. Further north it is starting to look super nasty though.
    Asunnysnowman likes this.

From the Central Florida, it has transpired as a best case scenario. I was able to walk both dogs though in heavy rain.

Just completed a walk around the house. The french drains are working superbly and the water flow to the street is working fantastically. I did divert potention damage as we have a palm species that is listing badly and had vines wrapped around a gutter. Just cut those and if not, the gutter was going to go. Love that tree as it's our major source of shade in the lanai. Don't think I'll lose it put will have to prop it up, looks like.

Name:  hurricane.png
Views: 68
Size:  573.2 KB

My only worry now is I'm running low on cigs. LOL ! Oh , just heard overhead we had our first fatality.

All in all, I think the governor has done a great job but good hurricane prepardness has been baked into our state governemnt for many decades. Nonetheless, he and state and local officials seem on top of this.

All in all, I think the governor has done a great job but good hurricane prepardness has been baked into our state government for many decades. Nonetheless, he and state and local officials seem on top of this.
    Yeah, going on tV and telling people "You will die!" was a bit much...I know it scared the crap out of my wife's two grandparents in central & south florida.
    Not as bad as Shepard Smith on Fox News saying "You will die and your family will die..your kids will die"

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...-watch-w443848

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Yeah, going on tV and telling people "You will die!" was a bit much...I know it scared the crap out of my wife's two grandparents in central & south florida.
    Not as bad as Shepard Smith on Fox News saying "You will die and your family will die..your kids will die"

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...-watch-w443848
    Slow your roll a bit. Matthew has already claimed more than 100 lives. Projecting hurricanes is still an unexact science. If Matthew wobbled 20 miles w we'd be f'd. Miami is spares but this sucker isnt done yet.

The human thought never ceases from confounding me. Instead of being greatful acts of nature skewed Matthew away from a more devasting path, we become sarcastic and show no grace. And if we didn't plan for it, we'd be bitching about if we survived.

As far as Shep, he's a straight shooter and earned his stripes going through the ranks for years in Florida's gulf coast.

At the moment, all the advisories from local and state government have been just and what we'd all being urging the same if we had that responsibility. We're half way through with only on fatality in FL.

Not a moment to get sarcastic. Half a million of fellow Floridians are without power.

I get the Miami mindset and LIV is open tonight ... as well as the memes. As someone passee this experiene unscathed, I'm counting my blessings and not chastising dire warnings ,,, and Shep is one of the few guys I like at FOX. LOL !

BTW the way, I went to get smokes and my local Walgreens is now open.

Unlike Charley when my power went out when Matt Lienart was leading a go-ahead scoring drive against Stanford, I'm grateful I have power and will be tuning into Dodgers vs. Nats in a few hours.

Well another year, another hurricane panic all for naught. But it really is a better safe than sorry kinda thing, and this one looked legit. I'm just taking all the "Matthew was a big no-show" memes personally.

I was surprised at how organized the governor seemed to manage this. Granted, this is the first time I followed a hurricane so closely, but it seems like it could have been far worse. I don't think we, as a state, have ever been so organized about anything.. emergency or otherwise.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Mike and I actually did a kind of bucket list thing and spent Hurricane Matthew at The Elbo Room.

It was packed.

I am grateful it dodged us. I've been through a monster and would rather them over predict and be safe than be caught with my pants down.

Matt, what was the best meme?

Yesterday Miami was completely shut down. No cars on the road, no one in sight. We did take it seriously, and trust me, I am so grateful it skimmed us. I did not want to deal with what they currently up further north.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast