Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hurricane Matthew

Default Hurricane Matthew

Alright, I'll say it... this one is skimming us in Miami by the looks of it but I am worried about how much rain and flooding it may bring. Plus why is it moving so slow?! Cat 4 is no joke. I am the only regular who lives on the beach, but this hurricane better stay on track to avoid us. I am not looking forward to no power and AC for a week.

Default Re: Hurricane Matthew

By all aspects, Matthew is a monster, He's doing his thing at 14 mi. per hour. One thing I'll tell you for sure is I have no why clue meteorologist suspect it's going to cut a sharp 90 degree angle upshooting N. That's a prefect senario and I hope that is what it does.

As a resident od Florida for 12 plus years, I only rely on the Weather Channel for the instanoius, They also predicteed rtain at noon. It's 212 P and skies are blue - no clouds.

They are hoping the cold front from the west pushes it further out to sea. Fingers crossed!

This one looks like it's inevitable we'll be impacted.

Even here in CFL, seems like a done deal we'll get winds of at least 40mph. it's currently beautiful and apt to hit the pool.

This time Thursday, and we have power ( biggest bitch ) , we'll see on the news and the usual idiots parasailing and getting slammed into buildings

Be safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by jwisdom789 View Post
    They are hoping the cold front from the west pushes it further out to sea. Fingers crossed!
    The 11am advisory today had it shift a bit East so Miami/S Florida should be fine. Direct hit on Nassau tomorrow though is very sad. I've been there several times and a lot of people rely on public transportation and don't live in the nicest of hurricane resistant homes. Should be major damage there unfortunately.

It just knicked Jamaica and looks like the eye is going between Cuba & Haiti but Haiti is on the right side of the eye so it may also get major damage.

For the US, looks like a direct hit on the Outer Banks in NC with possible S.C landfall.

Our Gov already declared a state of emergency for every county which is a bit dramatic.

Tomorrow will be a big day to see if it keeps shifting or not. I went to Costco today forgetting about the storm and there was a line of people buying water at 10AM when they opened. One lady needed assistance getting 25 cases! However, it was on sale so 40 bottles of Zeph for $4 is a steal compared to Publix where you get 24 or 30 for $5.25.

Make sure you got batteries for flashlights and some fans in case the power gets knocked out Thursday. If it gets any closer, I'll be vacationing in Sanibel Wed night-Friday :-)
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Alright, I'll say it... this one is skimming us in Miami by the looks of it but I am worried about how much rain and flooding it may bring. Plus why is it moving so slow?! Cat 4 is no joke. I am the only regular who lives on the beach, but this hurricane better stay on track to avoid us. I am not looking forward to no power and AC for a week.
    This one worries me because it is moving so slow.

I've had worse damage from a slow moving tropical storm than from a hurricane.

We don't live very far inland, a mile and a half from the beach but are across from a canal.

It is interesting to see all the big yachts heading inland on the New River. It's almost like a parade.

I imagine it is because so many off the large boatyards are back there and they want to make them less vulnerable.
    Last edited by FredTheCatTravels; 10-04-2016 at 02:58 PM.

I'' tuned into the Weather Channel and Matthew drifted W a bit. By the looks of current projections, Daytona and the Central Atlanta coast of Florida is in the car bird seat. Projections now show staffing Miami and intruding a bit Wes after that.

Cat; SC has already ordered evacuations. This effects 1M peeps on their eastern coast.
    Question I have is why New Orleans prep as well as we do.

General rule; three days food and water at hand. Hopefully not necessary but get your asses ready just in-case.

Our publix sold out of water tonight..people were yelling at Management..

I Guess the Costco next door was running low with the idiots buying 25 cases at one time so they trickled over to publix and they weren't stocked for this.

We're definitely going to get some TS force winds and rain most of Thursday.

Miami Beach is closing at Sunset tomorrow until Friday.

I think they mean access to the actual beaches not the city.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/H...id=oIR1FRM4hXc

Ugh the 11pm put Broward under hurricane watch. Dammit! My view is direct ocean. I'm not inland. I am going to be looking at this right in the eye (no pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Ugh the 11pm put Broward under hurricane watch. Dammit! My view is direct ocean. I'm not inland. I am going to be looking at this right in the eye (no pun intended)
    You mean Hurricane Warning?

We've got vodka, candles, beenie weenies, and cat food.

I just hope we don't lose power.

This is going to suck.

This is the latest track as of 11AM ...

Name:  matthew.gif
Views: 135
Size:  32.2 KB

Drudge Report had this image on it's header.... suppose it's been photo shopped a tiny bit.

Name:  mat.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  33.4 KB

this looks bad....best of luck to everybody.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...106120177.html
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Our publix sold out of water tonight..people were yelling at Management..

I Guess the Costco next door was running low with the idiots buying 25 cases at one time so they trickled over to publix and they weren't stocked for this.

We're definitely going to get some TS force winds and rain most of Thursday.

Miami Beach is closing at Sunset tomorrow until Friday.
    I just saw on the news that Home Depot also ran out of water and generators, but they're expecting four trucks this afternoon with more supplies. My wife is driving N from Miami and said it's a bitch also getting gas down there. She filled up at Pompano rest stop. on the turnpike.

Through the years we've all, including mysef have cried the sky is falling and hopefully this is another occasion. The latest forecast has Matthew passing by tweenty miles off the coast and that is serious business. There will be definitely power outages in some coastal areas and that's the real bitch of a hurricane if all else is intact.

Hope everyone fares well in Dade and Broward. As for me, the latest projections show Matthew's closest approach to the coast at Melbourne. I'.m 50 mi. inland from there and winds are projected to be 40-60 mph.

Hopefully by Friday morning all is clear and we made out OK, then survey with my daughter and assist any distraught creatures dazed from the storm. We live in a conservation area and it's always the turtles that panic and find themselves on a paved road. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post

Through the years we've all, including mysef have cried the sky is falling and hopefully this is another occasion.
    I would rather cry that the sky is falling then to ever in my life get caught in the middle of another hurricane.

I was the worst thing I've ever experienced and did not think I'd live through the night.

I related not to long ago that a 40lb glass table top flew off from our balcony in Miami. Imagine what would happen in a storm ? http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/vi...levard-8540194

Just removed bird feeders and other possible projectiles around the house. Do the same at your next convenient moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    I would rather cry that the sky is falling then to ever in my life get caught in the middle of another hurricane.

I was the worst thing I've ever experienced and did not think I'd live through the night.
    I tend to be one that does. It's tough to ignore this one though.

If I was in Miami, by morning I'd be filling up my bath tub and knocking room tempature down into the 50's or maybe lower.

BTW Orlando is officially under Hurricane Warning. Why Dade hasn't already is beyound me. This sucker is still trending west.

New User

This looks like it will be my first major storm since moving here. Does anyone know how likely it is that I will lose power and how long I can expect it to be out assuming that the storm stays on the projected track? I live in The Hammocks/West Kendall area. Obviously I am not expecting anything too precise but I am trying to determine whether there is more than an outside chance the power goes and how long it would take to restore assuming we stay on the outside edge of the cone. Forecasts are for winds in the mid 40's. I understand that gusts can be stronger but that doesnt seem like enough to knock the power out.

New User

Are people in Miami vacating or mostly staying put? I live in Miami Beach, but on the west side. I have the option to go stay on the mainland. It's more inland, but also more North, closer to Hollywood. Not sure if it's going to be safer closer to the beach but more south, or more north but inland? I've been through multiple hurricane warnings here, that turned unto very weak storms, but this doesn't look the same. It's concerning that it's so close to the Miami line, just a bit more south and we could be in trouble. Not sure if it's even possible to leave at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast