Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: Losing Weight really isn't that hard.

Default Losing Weight really isn't that hard.

We'll it actually is !

Four months ago, I wasn't feeling that good. While complaining on a four stay in Sarasota, I complained about being physically in a rut. It was ironic I got read the riot act after ordering two pizzas in St. Armand's Circle. I let my body go and she clammored; " I want my Joey, BACK ! " That was followed by: ' you should have seen your dad when I met him."

This is something I eventually needed to face as I have a couple of ruptured discs and some other's that buldge. I left LA almost 13 years ago weighing 205 lbs. I'm a smidge under 5'11". In the time since, I balloned to 248lbs - mostly living large and retired. And I like my suds.

So I said, " yes I'll do it, but I'm not going to Colombia to get my fat sucked out of a tube. I'll do !"

On the way home, I ruminated, how ? I then remembered how Ray Lewis ( NFL Player ) lost 50lbs during the off season before his best year as a pro. He biked his arse off.... 40 miles a day. Initially started at 10 miles the first week, then I bulit it up to 26mi each day. The pounds were coming off until I started riding 40mi.. I couldn't to it back-to-back and hit a wall with my weight lose progression. After some research, I learned sprinting is what burns calories the most. I scaled back to 17 mi. of bike riding each morning including six segments where I haul arse. That is working beautifully.

By nature, I'm an early riser so I start peddling around 430A. I also play pickleball between 1-2 hrs, then swim between 40-50 minutes.

That's worked for me and nothing as far as my diet has changed though I'm a bit careful. And yes, I still consume my beer like always.

That's the route I chose. It might not work for some. I'm basically putting in five hours of exercise before 1030A. Other's do it on the dietary side. If I went that strict route, I'd obviously have better results. It's my nature to do it harder.

In short, I lost 26lbs the last three months... and i think I want to go another 15 before I start chiseling like Roldan. Lord know, I'm already a thinker. LOL !

I'm posting this as weight gain is an issue that effects many people, and it nailed me down till I decided to do something about it. There are many methods to lose weight and all require discipline. I don't have the discipline to diet and chosen a tougher route soley through physical exertion. One thing I do know is calories count. I've gotten to the point I know how many I burn and slowly coming around to the consumption end.

I think " Joey" has much to do to come back. I'm 4lbs shy of my initial goal and know I'll reach that goal in a week or two, and join the softball league I've abondoned for four years. Heading uptown to get my bb glove relaced at Rawlings.

After all said, why not a before and after image. Note that I'm still a work in progress, LOL !

Left pic was taken on Sanibel last March. I was `138lbs. Right pic was just taken.

Before I forget, have a healthy 2017. Nothing like feeling like an optimal human machine. Getting there ......

Name:  dis.png
Views: 79
Size:  311.4 KB

Default Re: Losing Weight really isn't that hard.

Congrats!

I've struggled with weight my whole life..even as a kid I had love handles even though I was only 150lbs-160lbs and 6ft tall in High School/college. Its just my physical DNA.

I ballooned up to 250lbs myself in 2005 when Gina & I were running our courier biz, makings tens of thousands of $ a week..we had no time for anything because we worked 14 hour days, 6 days a week. So we ate fast food and at nice restaurants after a long day.

I eventually got down to 218lbs for my wedding in 2007 and always hovered around 210. It wasn't until 2013 that I was able to get down to my goal of 199. I hadn't seen a '1' in a long time and my brother helped me with that. I worked out 5 mornings a week and played 2-3 hours of sand vball every Saturday in the hot sun..

Then we started our diet challenge in 2015 with our family. I played racquetball a few days a week but mostly just kept my calories under 2000/day with a target of 1500 day. We ate a carefully portioned Chipotle 5-6 days a week and they were cheering me on, writing inspirational notes on the outside of the meal.

I got down to 185lbs and was wearing a 34 waist, never feeling more proud.

Sadly, after my LA fitness membership xpired and went back to regular eating, I'm back to 200lbs now :-(. ITs my goal after christmas to get back to the 180s. They closed my gym at my building but it should re-open in Jan along with a new pool so I can workout and swim.

My weight has always been a problem. I can't just 'eat' like regular people without gaining weight immediately..very slow metabolism or something.

Good for you on the weight loss. I know hard it can be! Keep up the good work and don't revert back to 'your ways' like I did. It didn't take long to put those 15 lbs back on, even with walking 4-5 miles a day 3-4 days a week :-(

Marc, it's hard but you have to #justdoit.

I say that to myself in the middle of a bike ride, then imagine my abdominal muscles acting like pistons, and I peddle through.

There is no alternative to weight issues other than discipline. I haven't gotten that far yet in a dietary sense yet. If i did, I'd propably be south of 200lbs. I did feel guilty eating a slice of Pecan Pie on Thanksgiving because I equated that to peddling 3 mi. on my bike. You come to a point and look into the science of Psysiolgy. Pizza, soda and the Chinese joint down the street boggs me down. The important thing now is I can identify that. Luckily for me, I'm not into sweets.

My diet is slowly changing, but until know, it's been Blood, Sweat & Tears.

I'm not a nutritionist or physicsal trainer. I't's a matter of understanding your body and what works. Though I'm soon to be 55, I know l responds well to lifting weights. That'll be my next phase. For right now, peddling and swimming is working. pretty good.

Though Maria de Los Angeles doesn't participate here any longer, I noticed she has dropped a good amount of weight. I'm so happy for her.

I'll post a pick when I get down to 218lbs.

Easier said than done but an exercise regimen before dinner curbs your appetite, eat smaller portions, and I abide by a simple rule--if it is in the fridge it will be eaten, which is why I keep no snacks in the house..,also, no exercise that day no dessert.

I don't know, when I work out before dinner I'm STARVING> But other than that, nice work Bloackfrord. Congrats!

So far, exercising hasn't effected my appetite. In fact I think I eat less now. I'm holding out till before noon before I eat my first meal of the day.

Already went on a 17 mi. ride this morning, followed by a 50 min. swim. Before I mounted my bike to go home( I live 2.5 mi from the gym so I got 22 mi. in ), I had a delicious cigarette. That's the next thing I have to work on...... and buying new pants. A belt is longer an accessory.