Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 2 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: Dogs Permitted in Fancy Restaurants in Miami

Default Dogs Permitted in Fancy Restaurants in Miami

WTF?...bad enough I see dogs in a Starbucks but there is some schmuck sitting at the bar at Wolfgangs Steakhouse with his dog...inside. Can I bring in a horse to a restaurant?..do they have a Board of Health in Miami?...leave your fkn dog home, let alone bringing it to a supposedly upscale restaurant. BTW, non memorable burger at the bar--far better options elsewhere...dogs at outdoor bar at Monty's, ok; inside a high end steakhouse--do not belong.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-25-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Default Re: Dogs Permitted in Fancy Restaurants in Miami

I myself wouldn't protest, but dogs are more formal and cleaner than most people in Miami.

Can understand your peeve about pets. I have a grievance with Ferrets. Those suckers a legal here in FL.

BTW, what's the dog policy in your building in Miami ? Lola, our new dog hasn't been to Miami yet. Chunche is so regular. He's pissed so many times on Miami Circle and the Mr. Potato Heads at Icon, he's indigenous.

Tequesta requires Chunche use the freight elevator and be carried in the lobby. Something untl now never adhered to, or I just ignore. We'll take him to alfreso places .. never a restaurant. I suppose that's my choice anyways.

Hey elvechere I mean this kindly but many things in Miami would not happen in other places. And if you get uptight about the dogs in restaurants, you are going to get mad all the time because it happens everywhere. Everyone has pets here, and they are family, and they go everywhere. Including shopping malls, restaurants and even the movies.

Movies too??...wow..was the same thing in San Diego (everywhere, but not the movies)...I did not mind in the past but animals do not belong where food is served..at least the rain must keep the streets somewhat clean--have not noticed the stench on the sidewalks (combination homeless and dog waste) that was very prominent in certain sections of my last city..i guess dogs are the new kids.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I think California is more progressive as far as pets. Bring you Dog to work is pretty common. And if you work in the Silicon Valley, dogs are common in the office year round as a Diet Coke. How about that commercial of a middle age couple walking their pig and sitting down with a consultation in a bank ? That had NoCal written all over.

Never heard about at the movies, though. Many people abuse the special needs and can easily get certification. By law, you can even check into a hotel with a pony if you have documentation.

I get some of you're points as I used to think that way. Would never take a dog to a formal resturant.. only alfreso. As Jess suggested, pets are part of the family, or should be.

I saw a dog pee on the floor at LaGuardia last week. Fill in your joke about it improving the place, but seriosuly once that becomes the norm we NEED to start cracking down on the whole "dogs in public places thing" Had a dog take a dump on a flight I was on earlier this year too.

I'm with you echevre, not everyone wants your dog around them when they're eating, and at higher-end places there's no excuse. Monty's or a sidewalk cafe or something, sure. But it's seriously bullshit and businesses should respect non-pet owners as much as pet owners. I don't like dogs in general and the abundance of them in public spaces is annoying. Much like children

Any, yeah, Blackford, we get it, Your dog pisses on a Native American burial site you think should have been bulldozed for condo construction so it's your little statement of disrespect for "liberals" who believe in historic preservation over construction. You can stop telling us now.

Even worse than that are food handlers who come over to pet the dog and then proceed to serve food without having washed their hands...they probably dont wash their hands after "extended" bathroom visits as well...I am far from a saint or a boy scout but I took enough slaps in the head from my father growing up to develop a common sense and common courtesy for others...between this and parents changing their kid's diaper on a plane seat near me, not the bathroom in the back, plus countless other stories I will not share at this time these two traits seem to be in short supply.

Florida changed the law to fine people pretending to have service dogs. ESA pets are not service dogs. But people are too scared to challenge all these people who have their tiny pets in a red jacket and pretend.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

People walk in restaurants and the first things out of their mouth is that it is a service dog and they have papers.

The only thing you can legally ask is: "What specific task does the animal do?".

Service dogs are unobtrusive, you'll never know it is there and specifically trained NOT to interact with other animals.

None of the 'service dogs' I see, and I see hundreds hostessing at Louie Bossi, are service dogs. One or two total maybe.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

Any, yeah, Blackford, we get it, Your dog pisses on a Native American burial site you think should have been bulldozed for condo construction so it's your little statement of disrespect for "liberals" who believe in historic preservation over construction. You can stop telling us now.
    That's wasn't my point, nor to my knowledge did the dig at Miami Circle reveal human remains..... the usual prehistoric relics like pottery and such from a civilization more advanced than the current occupants and local representation.

Despite what you think, I'm glad that development didn't get built. I'm questioning the sincerity of the protestors about this supposedly " hallowed ground." I don't see anyone who protested really care about the Circle anymore. Their deed is done.. I don't even know who's responsible for it's upkeep. Whoever it is, it's a poor job.

My opinion is of the tongue and cheek variety. The protestors won the war and left the battlefield abandoned to dogs to desicrate. Like what else can you except from Miami ? The tall grass around the Circle is too irresitable for dogs off a leash. There are no restrictions and it's not like if that swath or strip is Gettysburg. Where are the defenders of Miami Circle now ? They don't care anymore.

As I write, you probably have 5 dog owners from Icon with their dogs pissing in the Circle RIGHT NOW ! . In my view that is a better option than the proposed development. I only wish there where more Miami Circle's to be discovered in the neighborhood.

As Miami being dog friendly, probably not like you would think . The only place/county I knoe of that bans Pit Bulls other than Mr. 305. That's pussy written all over, I do agree with circumstances mentioned here, but I rather be a dog relieving myself in a park than a human seeking relief at a Miami gas station or some restuarant. A Dog's arse is a more perfect speciman than us humans. They don't need to wipe. The person that serves you food does and the detergent industry csn only claim they can only kill 99% of the bacteria. Why do you think think people get sick on an airplane or a cruise ? Whose the culprit there ? Dogs carry less baceria than your cell phone.

Let them ( resonably ) roam.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    People walk in restaurants and the first things out of their mouth is that it is a service dog and they have papers.

The only thing you can legally ask is: "What specific task does the animal do?".

Service dogs are unobtrusive, you'll never know it is there and specifically trained NOT to interact with other animals.

None of the 'service dogs' I see, and I see hundreds hostessing at Louie Bossi, are service dogs. One or two total maybe.
    This a scenario plays out even when you go to Publix. Like why is a fit dude grabbing a handicsp spot instead of mine's 40 yards away ?

My local Walmat has easily 30 handicap parking spots which is why I rarely go there. One of the gyms I go to has three handicap spots. A patron of one of those spots does 5.0 next to my treadmill workout. My tops is 3.7.

There is no rigorous check system in FL. for humans or animals. My Ralph's grocery shopping in LA only offered two handicap spots, and that was good enough to meet the needs. And CA is a lot more progressive than FL.
    Jess likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    This a scenario plays out even when you go to Publix. Like why is a fit dude grabbing a handicsp spot instead of mine's 40 yards away ?

My local Walmat has easily 30 handicap parking spots which is why I rarely go there. One of the gyms I go to has three handicap spots. A patron of one of those spots does 5.0 next to my treadmill workout. My tops is 3.7.

There is no rigorous check system in FL. for humans or animals. My Ralph's grocery shopping in LA only offered two handicap spots, and that was good enough to meet the needs. And CA is a lot more progressive than FL.
    Yes, but you never know why they have a handicapped sticker. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That's a slippery slope.

The form to have a handicapped tag is about physical disability: you cannot walk over 200 feet unaided, you need oxygen etc. If you can go to a gym and run 5 miles, you are definitely not eligible. Seeing normal fit people abuse that system, like the service dog system pisses me off so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The form to have a handicapped tag is about physical disability: you cannot walk over 200 feet unaided, you need oxygen etc. If you can go to a gym and run 5 miles, you are definitely not eligible. Seeing normal fit people abuse that system, like the service dog system pisses me off so much.
    Whaaaaat about if you just use it to park free in the beach? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post

Or have a Dr. write a script. I can get one tomorrow if I wanted to.

As of the start of the year,CA has added additional hurdles and made it tougher to get a handicap parking priviledges.

This wasn't an issue for me till i moved to Florida. California is way more progressive on this issue, especially since they have wall to wall sidewalks, all accesible by wheelchair. Dedicating 20% to handicap parking is totally Floridian. It's probably less in Miami, or so I noticed when I go to the two Publix locations by where I live ,,, when in Miami. No state tax so state government doesn't mind you paying $25 for a handicap parking priviledges.

It's widely abused in the state. To my knowledge and experience, not as bad in Miami. I don't even noticeit that doing neighborhood grocery shopping in Miami. But it wouldn't suprise me if fraud was more rampant more easterly in the city.

As far as my dogs, I respect as much as I can. I'll take one at Islander Market Place and have a quick croqueta w/ an article or two of the Miami Herald. Chunche has been to Lincoln Rd. on several occasions. Might break out Lola next time there for outdoor dining. These days I'm reluctant to take along the dog. My eight yr. old is a handfull ... and the wife.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 01-12-2017 at 05:58 PM.