Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Wet foot, dry foot ...

Default Wet foot, dry foot ...

Any thoughts now that Obama has abolished this policy ?

Pots and pans are once again being banged in Little Havana. I personally don't have an opinion yet other than what I've previously mentioned about Little Havana and how Miami has changed through the years. The Cuban influence is evident and has been waning over the last decade and a half. I also dispute this community built Miami. Miami has broke out of that image, at least in my mind, for some time now.

Need to study this more but for right now, I think Obama did right on this one.

Cuba is like many other countries that have repressive governments. We can't cure all and I never was ok Cubans alone had that exclusive priviledge which lead us to get duped by Castro and his Marielitos.

P.S. As far as my family history, my grandfather left Andalucia and landed in Cuba, He wisely continued and eventually immigrated to Costa Rica. I'll never know the feeling about la finca que nos robo Castro. Its sad and a constant humorous tune I hear everytime I go to a porto window for cafecito . In most cases, it was BS.

Default Re: Wet foot, dry foot ...

totally agree with Obama on this one.

Why they were the only ones granted citizenship is not fair to other oppressed countries or dangerous places like Honduras.

Also, since he lifted the embargo, you can't have thousands of US Tourists flocking there on a daily basis and not let Cubans to get on the plane going the other direction. They can get tourist visas just as the US can to visit.

I hate arcane policies and both the embargo and the wet foot/dry foot are ancient & needed repeal.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I have friends who literally came over here from Cuba by boat.

I don't think ending it so abruptly was the best call.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post

It was abrupt allright. Probably thre only way an oitgoing president handles things on the way out. Have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post

Yeah, I just read about all the Cubans who were making their trek from S. America thru Mexico that are stuck in Panama/Honduras/ and the Mexican border. That's very unfortunate and don't know how else he could have stopped the policy and not hurt those people trying to get here. If he gave a date, there would have been a mad dash and many people could have died trying.

Those stuck in Limbo spent thousands to get there. Hopefully they can get some sort of asylum in Mexico and find work.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Yeah, I just read about all the Cubans who were making their trek from S. America thru Mexico that are stuck in Panama/Honduras/ and the Mexican border. That's very unfortunate and don't know how else he could have stopped the policy and not hurt those people trying to get here. If he gave a date, there would have been a mad dash and many people could have died trying.

Those stuck in Limbo spent thousands to get there. Hopefully they can get some sort of asylum in Mexico and find work.
    Most of the accounts I read are from many Cubans stuck in transition in Panama City, Panama. I have a good feeel for that city , visiting her a few times. Hopefullty the local government can accomodate them in Panama. One thing for certain is Mexico doesn't want them. That's one country that's verocious and abusive at her southern border ... mayne like we shoulkd be.

Hope Panama steps up and acceptes them. It's a city similar to Miami and more corporate. It's a more natural fit. \

I'm also sensitive because I read Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago as a teen. It's now 2017 and yet w still have abusive goverments and systems,. And then we have elected representives that refuse to recognize to legitimacy of the presidential election.

Crazy times. I might want to myself move to Cuba These are folks that had no choice in voting for president or commandante. I might prefer that system as I won't get chastised for voting for who I did. in democrastic society. In that sense, we're worse off or the same as Cuba.