Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What a Difference 3 Months Makes: What's Different in Miami

I left the Magic City a little over 3 months ago to try the simple life in DeLand, which I'm adjusting to just a little better than Paris Hilton. I just got back from my first visit back to Miami since I left, and noticed a few changes:

1. There is a SunPass Lane on the northbound 95 now near the 395. Whur'd that come from?

2. That building being constructed on Alton Road and 5th St on South Beach has gotten a lot bigger now!

3. The gas stations in South Beach apparently didn't get the memo that a gallon of gas is supposed to be under $4 again!

4. The Lifeguard headquarters and Art Deco Welcome Center appear to be in the process of some major reconstruction!

5. My favorite little Argentine diner, The Cafe Charlotte, has raised its prices by at least $2 per plate!

Despite these changes, though, it still felt very much the same, and I found myself waxing nostalgic for my old exotic beach life. Then, I was grazed by an aggressive pedestrian while walking down Lincoln Road...

Suzanne C

So what you're saying is, aesthetics aside, just how you left it?

Welcome "Home." (even if it's just a visit) :)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

3. The gas stations in South Beach apparently didn't get the memo that a gallon of gas is supposed to be under $4 again!
    LOL!

Great observations, Doug.

Doug, that SunPass lane has been the biggest clusterf***k I've ever seen on a Miami freeway. There are signs from the beginning of 95 until the lane starts saying that the lane has no exit for 7 miles, but apparently people don't read them (there's a joke here about putting them in Spanish, but I think everyone would just expect that from me so I'm going to refrain) and freak out and cause accidents. It's been ok lately, but still not unheardof. Just be glad you left before it started up.

The upside though is the new SunPass mini for $5, which includes $4.99 in free tolls. Another change you should embrace, especially if you're goign to be doing the North Florida to Miami trek a lot.

I would hate to run out of gas in the SunPass lane!

How about the big MB411 change? The NEW office with the super cool rooftop.

Suzanne C

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    How about the big MB411 change? The NEW office with the super cool rooftop.
    Since I've been posting as Kristine, I might as well add that Kristine is new too!

BTW, I took that new Sunpass express lane and it was smooth sailing...EXCEPT for 30 minute traffic jam from the Dolphin to the Golden Glades...aren't those lanes supposed to be for people traveling exactly that- Dolphin to Golden Glades?

Suzy, you've been posting as Kristine? You mean that she's your alter-ego?

I wanted to check out the new MB411 offices, but it was closed the day I was there. :(

Suzanne C

I wish I had a spring chicken for an alter-ego...I wish I had a spring chicken for an alter anything at this point...

but nah Doug...she was at my desk this weekend keepin' y'all informed and I forgot to log her out this morning.

New User

The SunPass lane is a good idea, but can't access it from 195 (Julia Tuttle). Why not?

Suzanne C

It's supposed to be a fast lane for drivers from the Dolphin Expressway to the Golden Glades Joey. If you are a registered carpool, you travel for free. Anyone else, pays a toll (once they implement the toll of course).

New User

I know what it's supposed to be, but why not let us mid-beach folk join in?

You're just gonna have to go South to join in, Joel. And they are GUARANTEEING a 50 mph trip from 836 to the Golden Glades once the tolls are enacted. This will be done by raising the tolls until enough people are priced out so that you can do a solid 50 all the way up. Pure economics, my friends, pure economics. I'll be interested to see if this works.

Suzanne C

Quote Originally Posted by JoeySchmoey
    I know what it's supposed to be, but why not let us mid-beach folk join in?
    'Cuz the mid beach folks have less to travel, I guess. It does seem unfair but I guess the people who have more distance to travel shouldn't 'have' to be subjected to the stop-and-go from local exits. Basically, since you need the 'right' of the highway, they take the 'left.'

Doug, Miami misses you! :)

Thanks (wiping tears). I miss it a lot, too! I was thinking Hollywood might be a good balance between the frantic aggressiveness of South Beach and the mellow-but-excitement-deprived country of Central Florida.

Stay tuned for my Hollywood Broadwalk photo essay!

Doug, you mean DeLand is not all you thought it was cracked up to be? Unbelievable.

I like DeLand okay. Mostly I like being able to have a whole house with a washer and dryer and a yard. If I could afford that in Miami, I would probably still be there.

Suzanne C

If I could afford that in Miami, I wouldn't be thinking about Deland...

New User

good morning Suzy. Hello from the Hilton Downtown. I hope to get on your Miami Tour today. Just waiting for an answer by mail. :)
    Have a good day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast