Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Macarthur Causeway- 395 is closed right now 10:00am 8/24/08

If any of you were looking to head to the beach or away from the beach....

STAY AWAY FROM THE 395 BRIDGE!!!

It's closed due to an accident involving a vehicle and bicyclist!

Don't say we didn't warn you! :ahhh:

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks for the heads up, Kristine.

It's 12pm and the Macarthur Causeway (395) is still closed.

For those driving to South Beach, alternate routes are the Venetian Causeway (17th Street) and the Julia Tuttle Causeway (41st Street).

As I was leaving MB411, I was able to take 395 heading west....

so I stand corrected, you may leave....

BUT YOU MAY NOT ENTER! :)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

This closure has really messed up our afternoon city tour. Since the bus can't drive back to the beach, we have to start the tour from Bayside, rather than Ocean Drive.

Sorry for the change of schedule, Kristine. Please apologize to your guests who went to the Seaquarium for me.

Haven't seen them around yet (7:10pm) but I'm sure they didn't notice the difference Gus so not to worry.

I'm sure the Miami Tour Company took care of them so I'm not at all concerned. :smile:

I am concerned, however, for those poor bicyclists (12 of them) hit by the taxi driver that caused the closing in the first place...

Crazy Taxi drivers!

Oh my...that is horrible - 12??? He didn't see the first 5?

The customers decided to take a trip to Midtown. Hopefully they'll be back before you retire for the evening. ;-)

I believe in the future when people write in asking us about places to bike in Miami, we need to refer them to this thread. I'd say that's unbelievable, but having biked around Miami all summer, it is TOTALLY believable.

And Michelle is right...how do you hit TWELVE people on bikes? Unless you did it on purpose. More black eyes all around, I suppose.

The news story about this incident is here: Cyclist speaks out after being hit by taxi driver.

This happened last year in Kendall on a bike path that was blocked by parked cars.

I'm curious as to where this happened. Sometimes these cyclists take up a whole traffic lane when riding in groups and while this doesn't make them fair game, it does make it difficult for drivers at times.

I'm sure that parked MB cop car on the side of the road in front of the Hibiscus Island traffic light doesn't make biking there easy. I'm sure the cyclists have to dart into the traffic lanes just to avoid it.

Apparently the taxi driver just fell asleep at the wheel. He would've had some kind of accident, regardless. As for the cyclists, talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm amazed more people don't die or aren't seriously injured when biking in Miami.

Just wanted to come back and let you guys know (Michelle and Gus) my guests LOVED LOVED LOVED everything.

They were extremely happy and said the driver was extremely professional.

They said everything went smoothly and told me to thank you guys for a great day!

Suzanne C

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    This happened last year in Kendall on a bike path that was blocked by parked cars.

I'm curious as to where this happened. Sometimes these cyclists take up a whole traffic lane when riding in groups and while this doesn't make them fair game, it does make it difficult for drivers at times.

I'm sure that parked MB cop car on the side of the road in front of the Hibiscus Island traffic light doesn't make biking there easy. I'm sure the cyclists have to dart into the traffic lanes just to avoid it.
    Holy Smokes! I've been posting as Kristine all morning...ay ya yay!

I can't believe he fell asleep. What time was this at?

It was at about 8 a.m. according the the article in I read. It was unclear if he was on duty or out running errands or what. But only one person had serious injuries, just lots of road rash and whatnot. Coulda been a lot worse. Of course, I bet a lot of those guys had bikes worth more than the dude's car, which makes the accident that much more painful. Again, why I stick to the Rickenbacker.

Suzanne C

I have to correct myself- the MacArthur does not have a bike lane but rather an emergency stopping lane....still, the MB police car that has been there for months was gone this morning...weird.

I will tell you there is a sign on Watson Island advising that bikes share the roadway.

Comandante Banana, why aren't you all over this thread?

I did a little research and here's what Florida Bicycle law states:

Legal status of bicycles
    (Sections 316.003(2), (10) and 316.2065(1), F.S.)

A bicycle is classified as a vehicle. A person in control of a vehicle on a street or highway is a driver. As a driver, a cyclist must follow the traffic rules common to all drivers. As the driver of a bicycle, he must also obey regulations adopted specially for bicycles. A person riding a bicycle has all the rights applicable to any driver, except as to special regulations for bicycles.

Roadway position
    (Section 316.2065(5) and (6), F.S.)

arrow Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of roadway, except under any of the following situations:

* when passing another bicycle or [other] vehicle proceeding in the same direction
    * when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway
    * when reasonably necessary to avoid any hazardous condition, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, or substandard-width lane, that makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For the purposes of this subsection, a "substandard-width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

- A bicyclist operating on a one-way highway with two or more traffic lanes may ride as close to the left hand edge of the roadway as practicable.

Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast may not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing and shall ride within a single lane.

And then there's this:

Operation on limited access highways
    (Section 316.091(2) and (4), F.S.)

- No person shall operate a bicycle on a limited access facility, except as otherwise provided. No person shall operate a bicycle on an interstate highway.

Ladies and gents: the MacArthur causeway is the 'local' name for SR A1A which you'd think is an interstate highway since it runs the length of the state; but it runs from Key West to Georgia. I guess that makes it an intrastate highway.

I'm looking for local laws now...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    I have to correct myself- the MacArthur does not have a bike lane but rather an emergency stopping lane....still, the MB police car that has been there for months was gone this morning...weird.

I will tell you there is a sign on Watson Island advising that bikes share the roadway.

Comandante Banana, why aren't you all over this thread?
    Oh, Suzy, it ain't easy for a single comandante to be on top of the whole jungle, both on land and sea.

Somebody told me first it was bicycles, then motorcycles and finally back to square one.

Next time I go out there on my kayak, I'd take my binoculars to look over the whole city!

Cheers! And don't forget our slogan: LIFE'S A BEACH! (DON'T SWIM WITH THE SHARK) ;)

I wonder if this is going to affect them doing triathlons over that causeway in the future? I mean if the guy can fall asleep behind the wheel, who's to say he won'[t do it when there's two lanes blocked off? And in a race, that could hurt a lot more than twelve people. Anybody heard anything?