Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to chase away/keep toads/frogs away!?

I am PETRIFIED of toads/frogs...I saw the giant ones outside my house a week or so ago..FLIPPED out!

Last night, one of them was in my apartment..fine..it was a baby one! But still!!! I don't know how it got in...but I wanna know if there's any tips to keep them away and out of my apt!!!!

I know remove puddles and what nots..and I stay on the first floor and there are bushes right outside my patio and walkway to my apt...so I can't help it! :( Some one told me salt my entrances...which I did! Some website said snake repellent would work too...

What say you all? :)

Feefay, since I volunteer at the botanic garden, next week I will ask one of the folks there if they know a way to repel frogs ... if I find out anything new I'll let you know!

Suzanne C

I think the snake repellent may kill them but you would have to ask the person selling you the repellent. The salt trick works but don;t just throw salt on your front step.

Ppray a heavy concentrate of SALT WATER around the areas you don't want them in. The salt will sting their feet causing them to leave. Be careful with those plants you mention. The salt will kill them.

I was always told that frogs were a sign of good luck. Don't know about toads though.

Maria: please please ask for me...I don't want to kill them, I just want them to leave me and my apt alone! I am scared of them!

Suzy: spray salt water? like regular table salt and water? Will salt kill plants? I just have regular plants around my patio...

Toads, frogs...good luck or not! I really don't want them waiting outside my door or hanging around my apartment! :/

Feefay, there is another way to approach this as well ... I understand it's not pleasant to have these slimy critters at your door, but as one who has recovered from severe agoraphobia, I would invite you take advantage of the opportunity to look into the source of your fear of them. Desensitizing yourself to the fear would be the easiest way to get "rid" of them. If you want to chat send me a PM and maybe my experience getting through agoraphobia can help you.

LOL. Maybe you should consider a move to a frogless building.

Hmm, I don't know phobias aren't really funny to the person experiencing them.

I was only kidding. I know people who are terrified of the creatures. A number of years ago my help was cleaning my house and I heard her make this bloodcurdling shriek. I ran into the other room to see what was going on. As it turned out she saw my bean bag frog laying on the arm of my couch and that alone scared her. She explained to me that she is terrified of frogs and even the fake ones scare the crap out of her.

In reality they are quite harmless. If you have pets, make sure they stay away from them. Frogs and toads excrete a toxin through their skin that are dangerous to animals.

Being in the tropics we get all kinds of eenteresting creatures.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

The worst thing about phobias is that they create unnecessary anxiety, which can lead to other health issues.

When I was a little girl, I used to love those tiny frogs that were like the size of a nickel. We had them all over my yard and I used to play with them all the time.

I found this link that might help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_18427_rid-garden-toads.html

Also found this product:

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page2228.html

I don't advocate the use of pesticides, but am not sure if they will just go away. Keep in mind that frogs are probably there because you have insects, and they love to eat the insects. Maybe getting rid of the insects will drive them away.

Frogs and toads are harmless unless you have a dog, and they're actually good for lawns and gardens; but if you have a phobia, I know that won't matter much!

New User

Frogs also loves steady water. If you have a pond or a lake around your building, that's why they are there. I had the same issue on my house a couple yrs ago. We had a fish pond outside on the yard, frogs were everywhere. I don't mind them being around I just can't stand the noise they make. Use to drive me crazy. So crazy, I gave up my fish and emptied my pond!!!! It's all quite and frog free ;-)

I know a great way to get rid of the frogs. Bring in some raccoons!

Suzanne C

hmmmm...

Harmless frogs versus rabies infected raccoons...

Actually, South Florida has some of the healthiest looking raccoons I've ever laid eyes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Actually, South Florida has some of the healthiest looking raccoons I've ever laid eyes on.
    Well than we'll leave it up to you to supply the raccoons! :coolsmirk:

Hey,

I am not THAT offended about the comment...:) I've not been checking the site since I just started school. Ugh!

I found out salting the area keeps them away...so there you go, there's a canister of salt on the shelf by my door!! And there's lines of salt outside my house...:)

Quote Originally Posted by feefay
    Hey,

I am not THAT offended about the comment...:) I've not been checking the site since I just started school. Ugh!

I found out salting the area keeps them away...so there you go, there's a canister of salt on the shelf by my door!! And there's lines of salt outside my house...:)
    Ahh, problem solved. Good for you for finding away to keep the critters away. I can imagine your fear everytime you go through that door.

you know what...you are right?
    i always peek out of my door before i open it fully, and then shut it the second i am out...
    and when i am home, i have my keys in my hand..ready to charge it and retreat to my safe apt!!

:)

yucky... frogs/toads. The big fat ones creep me out. My dog, Gizmo on the other hand loves to chase them. My old dog, buster, took a nice bite out of one and landed himself a lovely foaming mouth and a not so pleasent visit to the emergency pet clinic...

My phobia is roaches. I know I know... Most of you hate them. When I see a roach something comes over me that I freak out like the world is coming to an end. I can't look at them, squash them, or be near them.... I see a roach.... I'M OUT (or on top of the nearest counter). I always get made fun of by whoever is near me because they tell me I am overreacting.

Thank God for 10th floor condos... NO INFESTATION PROBLEMS. yessssss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast