Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Preferred Member

Default Someone tried to break into my car

Bienvenidos a Miami.

OK guys, parked my car at Dolphin Garage at MIA while on a week long trip to South America on business. It appears, after I got home, someone tried to break into my car and broke out the door lock with a slim jim device. They apparently were unsuccessful in opening the door, but they knocked out the key lock on the door handle. I suppose the alarm did it's job, although the warning signs in front on the window obviously did not deter these idiots from trying to get in anyway. No idea what they would wanted, steal the whole car or something inside?

I want to file a complaint, for what that is worth.

And i need a good car locksmith to replace the lock and match up my keys.

Anybody have any suggestions (besides the obvious..."don't leave your car at MIA in the first place!")

Sorry to hear about your attempted break-in, Tito. I had someone do that to my trunk lock once on South Beach while my car was parked on the street outside my building. I'm not sure if they got in or not, but there wasn't anything in there worth taking, anyway. The main problem was that the lock was damaged and I couldn't get the trunk open. I called around to various locksmiths at the time, and I wish I could tell you I found a nice one, but I can't. It seemed like they were all quoting ridiculously high prices, trying to capitalize on my misfortune. I was finally able to get the damaged lock to open with my key, after many attempts. And after I did it a few times, it started opening like nothing had happened, so I didn't end up needing a locksmith, after all. My only suggestion would be to call about 5 or 6 and go with the one that offers you the best rate. Maybe someone else had a better experience...

I have to say that the one time I had to call a locksmith, I had the same problem. They took three hours because the tech they sent couldnt speak English and didn't understand the difference between SW and NW on addresses.

And everywhere I called, people were rude and trying to rip me off. But unfortunately that's Miami for you.... Good luck.

Flyingman,
    You can call Sanchez Locksmith...... this guy does all kinds of locks for used car delaers and is very familiar with cars locks.
    ..... (305) 308-6548

Welcome to South Florida, sir. On the list of things that make you a South Floridian, having your car broken into is definitely up there.

I would recommend calling AAA to find a good, semi-honest, ENGLISH-SPEAKING locksmith. I've had to call them a few times when I had lock issues with my car, and everybody they sent spoke near-perfect English and got exactly where I was in a decent amount of time. If nothing else, they can give you a good referral.

Preferred Member

Matt, I'm not Single Language Challenged. Se habla espanol.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm due for a dealer check-up so might just wait and do it all there and get my lock to match existing keys.

Suzanne C

Tito- MIA has cameras. If you file a report (not that I actually think anyone would go through any trouble to verify a vandalism claim), I'm guessing they can check the cameras.

The guy that JJ mentions- I've used on my home for Medeco locks based on her recommendation. He was reliable and on time. I was most concerned that someone would have keys to my house, but nothing has ever happened so obviously he's not the type to be scammy either.

I would, though, recommend you take it to the dealer. It's guaranteed to be done correctly there. You may have to pay a pretty penny though. You might want to see if you have vandalism coverage on the car; what the deductible is; and see if it's worth taking it to the more expensive place so the insurance can cover it.