Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Kayaking in the canals

Are people allowed to put small boats into the canals. I ask because I would like to buy a kayak and do a little rowing?

(like the canal next to St. Thomas University; I suppose they are just long water retention ponds, but you know what I mean) :)

In some canals, I've seen people fishing, on small speedboats and jetskis, so I assume it's ok. But ocassionally, Alligators have appeared in canals all around the county, not sure if they connect all the way to the Everglades.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Yeah, you got to be careful where you launch your kayak. You never know what might be lurking below the water. We got alligators in the canals, near the Everglades and crocodiles in the waters around the Deering Estate.

My friend lives by a canal, and they opened up the dam and like 4 tigersharks came... Yes they were tiger sharks i got an expert to I.D. the pictures, i would be careful but we got some inflatable rafts and rowed around in those.

It's legal. though I don't know about advisable. In addition to the aforementioned animals, those things tend to get a little polluted as well.

Crocs, gators, sharks and pollution?! Didn't anyone get the memo? Clearly, Miami is not ready for me. Spare no expense and redouble your effort.

chop chop :)

Oh yeah mat reminded me I was at this girls house and she had a hot tub and lived by a canal, i had a friend of mine there too. I wanted to jump into the canal but he didnt, so i went in by myself. I got out of the canal and went into the hottub. Well on monday at school he was covered in red sores turned out he was allergic to something in the water.

Hi Ed! You're talking to the former Canoe Queen of the Everglades here. Nothing can compare to rowing into the non-motorized craft areas of the Everglades!

I don't know about that particular canal, but provided you have safe ramp to launch, then I don't see a problem. It may or may not be particularly scenic and the water may not be particularly clean, but nevertheless, it's a place to row. The hardest part will be finding a place to launch, since many of those canals border residential back yards.

Nevertheless, if you get a rack for your car and can transport your kayak, there are limitless possibilities here.

Are you into calm-water kayaking or sea kayaking? You can enjoy both here. On the atlantic side, of course, you can kayak to your heart's content, especially if you stay within the no-motorized-craft boundary of the beaches.

Kayaking the canals around South Beach is nice. There's also certain section of the bay, where it's too shallow for speedboats, that local kayakers enjoy.

In Coral Gables, there's the Gables Waterway and Matheson Hammock Park. In south Dade, there's Biscayne National Park and the Everglades. Further afield, the Keys (Florida Bay).

In north dade there's Oleta State Park and the Oleta River (one of my favorites).
    South Beach Kayakers might be a good group for you to hook up with. Sierra Club does trips, too.

PS Gators and crocs will not bug you unless provoked.

Your Highness! :)

Thanks for the BM. I'm just an amateur, never been in an actual kayak (just canoe). I saw the canals linking neighborhoods together and just thought it would be a hoot. I probably won't have a car and that particular canal behind the school doesn't appear to have a dock so I have a few hurdles to get past (not to mention the lack of an actual kayak, lol).

/add to todolist

Hi Ed! I'm sure you'll figure it out in time.

We're talking about kayaking over on this thread too.

DO we have crocodiles in our canals? I thought those didn't occur outside of zoos and seaquariums in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    DO we have crocodiles in our canals? I thought those didn't occur outside of zoos and seaquariums in this country.
    And Turkey Point.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=9718547

Matt, the area around Turkey Point/Black Point Marina is a Crocodile sanctuary, as well as around Card Sound Road and Biscayne National Park. At Matheson Hammock, way further north, you have croc "warning" signs at the wading "beach" (which is not really a beach at all, but a mangrove seashore).

I've seen crocs down south at Flamingo Point (Everglades National Park at Florida Bay), but they were far outnumbered by gators.

I've waded the beaches at Matheson many times and never come across a reptile. A few drunks and people banging in the back seats of cars, maybe. Oh, and if I was lucky, I may have caught a bonefish. But no, no crocs, unfortunately.

Saucaaaaay :)

I only see crocodiles when go to africa to see family.