Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The Skinny on Late Night Beach Romps on South Beach (Photo)

New User

Thanks for sharing. I love reading what you wrote and i love the photo. It's beautiful.

Regards,
    Blue

New User

I dealt with this first hand two summers ago.. A friend of mine who works for an airline decided to take a "mancation" and head to Miami Beach with no plans, no hotel etc.. We ended up renting a car, but forgoing the hotel. After a long day of trying to see everything, we decided that we would sleep on the beach, or try to. First of all it was an incredible experience, with alot of hmm... "interesting" things going on throughout the night, but not once did we see or run across any police, security etc. There were a few couples, male and female as well as male and male. I was also very surprised that we were able to make it through the night without being hassled by cops; however, we were bothered nonstop by several groups of idiot club/party goers that kept coming up to us all night.

As with the people who posted above, I would exercise caution if you want to be out there, but it really is an awesome experience..if you can get through the night without being hassled.

Thanks for sharing!

I would not recommend sleeping on the beach though ... esp. after what happened the other day.

Man Found Dead on Beach near Fontainebleau Hotel.

New User

Default Re: The Skinny on Late Night Beach Romps on South Beach (Photo)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    We had a discussion about this a while back: are the police enforcing the nighttime beach closure (12 am - 5 am) more stringently than they used to? I'd noticed a greater presence of their 3 wheelers patroling the beach in recent years, while others in the forum argued that it was still relatively easy to hang out on the beach after midnight without being questioned by the police. So what's the scoop?

I decided to put the matter to the test and headed out last night (Friday) around 11 for some evening exercise.

The beach at night is a supernatural experience. The wind whips around you at almost hurricane strength and you can hear the waves crashing nearby. The clouds form dramatic patterns overhead, highlighted by the lights of an occasional approaching jet. The glow of ships can be seen out on the water and a fishy smell wafts upon the evening air. On particularly magic nights, the Miami moon reflects upon the ocean, giving it a fluorescent shimmer. You can keep track of the time and temperature from the bank clock on Lincoln Road, which is visible from most of the Art Deco section of the beach. In the distance, you can see the neon lights of Ocean Drive and hear the cacophony of music pouring out of its clubs.

As I trudged through the sand, I noticed groups of people, gathered in little circles, the glimmer of cell phones, giddy laughter, glow sticks, drunk people, and a few silhouettes of amorous couples on the lifeguard stands.

A few years back, in addition to the above, you would have also noticed a much greater presence of homeless men sleeping on the stacks of beach chairs or on and around the lifeguard stands. You might have seen them walking aimlessly up and down the beach. But they're mostly gone now from the beach. These days, they've become more evident along the streets of South Beach.

Right at the stroke of midnight, I noticed the headlights of the police ATV's speeding up and down the hard sand areas. They would occasionally find a group and stop, and then dash on. I continued my walk -- from 3rd up until 23rd and back, and was okay until a little after 1 am, when I felt the glow of headlights against my back.

The policeman came up right behind me on his ATV and asked me to stand in front of his lights.

"Where do you live?" he asked.

"DeLand, Florida," I answered.

"DeLand, Florida?" he replied.

"Yes."

"So what are you doing in Miami?" he asked.

"I work for a travel and tourism website called miamibeach411.com. I come down here every month or so to find things to write about."

"Where are you staying?" he continued.

"At a hostel over there," I said, motioning toward the southwest. The name of the hostel escaped me at that precise moment.

"The beach is closed now. You have to clear the beach."

"Okay. I was just wondering, that policy used to be pretty loosely enforced. Have things changed now?"

"It's still pretty loose," he said. "If you're with a girl, we don't really say anything, but if you're a guy walking around by yourself, we don't know what you're up to."

"I understand," I said, motioning toward a pathway to Lummus Park. "I'll head out that way."

He said good night and sped off. I hoped no one was making out in the sand nearby. He might not be able to see them in time to stop.

So, there you have it. Those are the criteria for being out on the beach after midnight. I do somewhat understand it, because I've seen the creepers try to steal things from couples while they were making out. Purses, clothes, whatever they could get. How was he to know I wasn't feeding a crack habit and preying on them myself? But at the same time, I noticed that pretty much everyone on the beach has a cellphone. Rather than selectively run people off the beach at one of its most beautiful times, it might be a better idea to let everyone prowl the beach at will -- that's what makes this place unique, after all -- the special freedom you feel to experience the moonlit exotic playground of Miami Beach -- just post a 3 digit number to call if you observe anybody trying to steal somebody's stuff or assaulting someone.

I'm sure it would be interesting to be able to read police reports of what they actually contend with out there on a nightly basis. Still, judging from the officer's questions, I wonder how much of it is motivated out of a desire to drive out the homeless, who will simply exchange the sandy refuge for an alley or a side street.

So, things have changed. You used to be able to prowl around as a single guy without being questioned. But not now.

(photo: Brad Rickerby)
    very good to know this
    thank you

New User

So I just spent the past weekend staying/partying on South Beach and visited the beach at night Fri and Sat. I didn't see any cops on the beach, Fri night my gentleman friend decided to take a swim. We didn't even go far from where he left his clothes (I didn't even get in the water) but just that quickly someone stole his pants (wallet, Blackberry, etc.) while my back was turned. Saturday night we were down on the beach sitting on a beach chair near a stack of chairs. I had put my purse and shoes at the bottom of the beach chair (at my feet) and some person sneaked around the stack, got ahold of my purse and took my iPhone and cash but left the bag, credit cards, small camera, etc.

It was a tough lesson to learn (but at least it won't be forgotten...EVER). I wish I would have had some head's up warning before going out there at night as to the "skill" of some of these jackass thieves. I also wish there would have been a police presence, at least he we been kicked off the beach we wouldn't have lost our stuff

Yes, those beach creepers are a plague on South Beach at night. If you ever decide to have a late night snuggle on the beach, be extremely careful to safeguard your valuables. The good thing is that these guys don't usually carry guns or threaten you. They just sneak off with whatever they can grab while you're distracted.

I think they should put signs up warning people about this practice and letting them make their own decisions about whether they want to go out to the beach or not at night.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Great post, Doug. Very informative.

Sounds like the police are looking out for our best interest.

Happy the officer's demeanor changed when he found out you weren't a thief.
    No they are not. They are predators. They are harassing single men who they think look gay. Their attacks are very violent and many tourists are caught off guard... Miami beach police is the most corrupt and brutal police agency in the country, they are not looking out for anyone except whose who they feed and or breed... In the mean time the city settles the lawsuits galore using its bottomless budget...

New User

The original post on this thread actually came out right after this ordinance(82) was introduced. Funny, but this ordinance came out right after the so called 'gay friendly' mayor Matti Bower took office. Since then MB cops have been harassing single males at the beach religiously... They are like predators. Just imagine you are looking at the ocean and the stars, then all of a sudden you hear profanity, gay slurs, and teasers and flashlights are pointed at you, later you are degraded searched and dragged around in handcuffs before they let you go with a trespassing charge. I saw others arrested on the beach before, but I thought they did some drugs or something. Then on my next trip I personally was attacked too! I couldn't even realize what was happening because it was so fast. It was the most traumatizing experience of my life. They were unusually homophobic and violent omg! With very weird military tactics, as if they encountered an opposition soldier. I thought they are going to kill me but then they let me go and charged me with this stupid ordinance. Complaining is pointless... The city right now is suffocating in corruption and lawsuits due to a number of complaints from tourists, however once settled victims do not talk about it anymore, while the union keeps the officers on payroll as if nothing happened. It even happened to my female friend who actually lives there. She was searched on the beach for no reason when she waited for her girlfriend that went to get snacks at the store. When they found a condom on her they went psycho! They couldn't let go about the condom as if it was something illegal. She was accused of been a prostitute among other thing, and spent an hour listening to stupid questions about what prostitutes do there and how they do it. At least these perverts didn't charge her. Single guys have it the worst though. Always have a recording device with you if you are down there, or bring a large crowd with you. They seem to be scared of large crowds just like any other predator would....

Yes, I've seen some of what you're describing. The police use night vision equipment to watch everything that's going on. They used to be much lower key a few years back, but like you say, all that's changed now. What is the ordinance you mentioned that recently passed?

If you are allowed to stay on the beach if you are with a girl, what if it's two guys about to make out I wonder if they would be asked to leave?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes, I've seen some of what you're describing. The police use night vision equipment to watch everything that's going on. They used to be much lower key a few years back, but like you say, all that's changed now. What is the ordinance you mentioned that recently passed?
    Sec. 82-2. - Closing public parks, beaches, golf courses during certain hours.
    (a)
    No person shall be or remain in any part of any public park, beach or golf course that is fenced in or provided with gates between the closing of the gates at night and their reopening on the following day; nor shall any person be or remain in any public park, beach or golf course not fenced in or provided with gates, between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m. on the following day; except that persons may pass through such public park without stopping, on the most direct walk or driveway leading from their point of entrance to the exit nearest to their point of destination.

is this even legal?! what kind of free country is this? It came out in 2007. i don't know how one can tell who is walking through and who is just walking... in fact they don't even bother the homeless who 'remain' on the beach. It's only the younger males that they are after, it's very much aimed at getting rid of gay men in the area and this ordinance is a tool that lets them get away with it so no one can pin a federal discrimination charge on them. However, there were lawsuits already, but they were quietly settled. Most recent was the Strickland's case where they settled for $75K. he witnessed 2 MB police officers violently kicking the guy in the head and yelling anti gay slurs at him, then they went after him but he dialed 911 and the whole thing got recorded.

As if this wasn't enough, the city now came up with another ordinance to keep males out of the city. this 2010 ordinance now also prohibits access to areas that have playgrounds for children unless you have a child with you. And this is 24/7! They are obviously not gonna go after a single female in this case. If this is not another tool to get rid of gay men and men in general, i don't know what is. I mean, in reality they don't even care if a person is gay or not, they just going to gay bash him anyway, it's like a bully ritual for them. It's not like they hire college graduates, these people are a step away from being a criminal.

The city is a cesspool of corruption and hypocrisy. They have 'gay friendly' commissioners and the mayor but they are corrupt and cover up everything, not to mention are overpaid... They hired gays for internal affairs to cover up the complaints. Carolyn Chin, Jen Elmore, etc... These people make $100k salaries to cover up their coworkers misconduct and to make it look like they are diverse. In reality when someone is paid that much they will do what they are told to do. The gay community should be outraged but it seemed like they all left the city.

Anyways, it is obvious that once you enter Miami Beach you freedom is gone and police brutality begins.

South Beach is one of the most gay friendly places I know in the USA. Today is Gay Pride, with Ocean Drive closed to traffic to allow a celebration day for all gay people. If that isn't gay friendly, I don't know what is.

I got to admit I don't think it gets much more gay friendly than that.

New User

Its a really great feeling. i have seen the beach in the sun but i have never in night. i will definitely go in night...

@Jess - I think it used to be much more gay-friendly and that's when the pride parades were started. These days, it's not such a welcoming environment like it used to be. Many gay people have left South Beach for Fort Lauderdale and beatings are on the increase. I'm sure the city is cool with the money a gay pride festival brings, but there is a concerted effort to turn the place into a more family-type environment. I think that the crackdown on single males on the beach at night is not simply a gay issue, though. There are a lot of thieves who hang out on the beach at night, looking to steal belongings from distracted couples. They will sneak up on them while they're distracted, stealing purses, wallets, etc. That may be a large part of the problem. If it's just a crackdown on public sex, it's misguided, as 80% or more of the public sex happening on the beach at night is male/female.
    Catt likes this.

yep doug, i concur. my bff (a gay man) moved from the beach up to FLL for just this reason; the gay community has pretty much abandoned Mia Beach in favor of FLL now -- although there's still the Pride Fest here, and other events 'publicly' in support of the gay community, there's a huge difference between the supposedly 'gay friendly' public face of this area, and what really goes on. he tells me the "behind the scenes" harrassment from cops against gay people has really increased around the beach neighborhoods in the past few years; and in his experience, it's much more sane, friendly, easygoing, and welcoming in FLL for the gay community. and from what I've seen, it really is a thriving community up there around Wilton Manors. I'm not gay but i'm actually considering moving up there myself cause it's such a nice atmosphere.

I hate to leave the beach but keeping up with controlling the fleas is killin me & my kitties, and it's really nice, easygoing vibes up there - no ridiculous rules .... i mean really - how can you "close" a beach?? it's a natural geographic area - you cant "close" it. LOL. that's just stupidness. I understand there are petty thieves around, who ruin it for all the rest of the decent ppl, and that has to be monitored, and I also agree that the cops aren't necessarily 'targeting' single men 'because' they are gay, but because it's more likely that a lone male on the beach at night might more likely be a thief, if they're not there with a date. But still - that's treading a fine line between law enforcement, and profiling.

Exactly! Even in California, which is considered to have way too many rules about everything, the beaches are open 24 hours a day.
    Catt likes this.

Didn't someone mention that back during the late 90s, South Beach had up to 15 gay clubs and bars, while now there are only 3-4? You can definitely say that the gay presence has gone down, but I'm not sure who would try to sell South Beach as a family destination.

I think the reason the city "closes" the beach is so they're not responsible to petty theft victims. I asked the cops once why they don't try to catch more of the the thieves and they say it's not their job since the beach is closed.

yeh, i understand 'why' they do it - and i get why it's necessary; the cops need to have 'some' measure of control, and some point at which they abdicate responsibility as noted ('not my table ma'am, beach is closed')

what i'm saying is that, looking at the bigger picture - geographically speaking - it's physically not possible to "close" a 10 mile (or whatever the length is) stretch of sand; it's a naturally occurring geographical feature. trying to call it "closed" after some arbitrary time on the clock, is physically just not possible. unless they put up gates or some other kind of actual boundary, people will be on the sand at all hours, regardless of what 'rules' they make up, or what the clock says.
    Last edited by Catt; 05-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Doug likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast