Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Bill Gates - HURRICANE KILLER to the rescue

I'm sharing an article I just read about a pending patent Gates and pals want to register. It promises to subdue hurricanes by pumping warm surface water to the lower depts. I wonder who'll get their massive deal first; T. Boone Pickens or Bill Gates.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...ft_envisi.html

Yow, I wonder what kind of environmental havoc that will cause.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks for sharing this.

What a crazy idea.

As many as 200 vessels could be placed strategically in the predicted path of a hurricane, and they could be designed to be reused or to sink in place and decompose underwater. The vessels could be moved into place by towing or by dropping from airplanes.
    They don't say how big the tubs will be.

And it seems like they would need more than 200 tubs to divert a hurricane.

But maybe the idea is to just push the hurricane a little, toward the poorer county, next to.

A second patent application describes how part or all of the cost of building and maintaining the hurricane-killer ships could be raised by selling insurance to coastal residents whose risk would be reduced by using the new system.
    Idea companies sound pretty cool.

Intellectual Ventures was created in 2000 by Nathan Myhrvold, who was Gates' chief technology officer at Microsoft, and Edward Jung, who was Microsoft's chief software architect. In a May article on the unveiling of Intellectual Venture's own patent laboratory, the Seattle Times reported that the firm has earned $1 billion in licensing revenue from patents it has acquired and about $80 million from patents for ideas it has created since its founding in 2000.
    I didn't realize a patient company could make so much money.

Also, putting 200 vessels in the way of a hurricane seems a little risky. What if your bathtubs don't work and the hurricane continues on?

It never ceases to amaze me that humans continue to believe they can control mother nature. People need to just accept they are not in control and that even we humans are probably gonna go extinct eventually.

Its like Obamas two environmental goals fromn the G8. One was to reduce emission by like 50% by 2025 or something. Awesome, good goal. The second one was to reduce the earths temperature by 2-3 degrees by some distant year. Are you kidding me?!? That is not in our control to do. Even if humans tomorrow stopped producing any kind of emission/carbon/whatever the earth could still continue to warm, its a natural cycle out of our control.

Why should we accept that? Should we also accept that we will each die at some point and just lay down and give up?

The point is, the human spirit is all about trying to make things better. Certainly there are gazillions of stupid ideas, but that is no reason to stop trying.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Why should we accept that? Should we also accept that we will each die at some point and just lay down and give up?

The point is, the human spirit is all about trying to make things better. Certainly there are gazillions of stupid ideas, but that is no reason to stop trying.
    Ditto that.

The undertaking might be unsurmountable, but how will we know if it's not tried. Perhaps the experiment and the science developed even might prove usefull somewhere else.

But if you could change the temperature of the water enough to affect a hurricane, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it might also have an adverse affect on wildlife or worse, have an affect on ocean currents?

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMiami
    But if you could change the temperature of the water enough to affect a hurricane, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it might also have an adverse affect on wildlife or worse, have an affect on ocean currents?
    If the effect causes the local currents to circulate counter clock wise,I'd be against it. I gave up my wet suit when I left the left coast.

One thing the the article mentioned was the possility to pump nutrients from the ocean depths to better sustain plant life nearer the surface.