Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Miami Graffiti Culture

I just posted our third Ford Fiesta mission over at my blog. Ford Fiesta Mission: Miami Graffiti. Click through to see the video and read about the adventure. It's a sneak-peak at Miami Graffiti culture, which is very vibrant!

Not all graffiti is illegal, by the way, and there is an impressive wall that many of you might've already seen along I-95 by NW 23rd street.

Brad and I were fortunate to spend the day with an accomplished Miami native and local artist/graffiti writer named Atomik.

Most visitors will never see any of this work because it's off the beaten path. But locals, we have no excuse!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

By the way, If you want to learn more about the local scene, there's a book that just came out this year called Miami Graffiti by James and Karla Murray. Check it out!

On the back cover of the book they state that Miami is so much more than South Beach and Spring Break, and boy is this ever true!

James and Karla are also curating an urban street art event that will take place during Art Basel this year, December 4-6 in Midtown Miami: Graffiti Gone Global.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Not all graffiti is illegal, by the way, and there is an impressive wall that many of you might've already seen along I-95 by NW 23rd street.
    Are you the one that was telling me the story about this one? It is on the back of the Marguilies Warehouse (spelling may be off there). And, actually, the city has tried to have it removed several times.

I don't think that was me, Coach. I'm not familiar with that wall. Some business owners are ok with graffiti as long as it's ok with zoning regulations. I've been told though that these "permission" walls don't necessarily last.

A couple of the walls we saw were permission walls, but in some pretty ratty parts of town, and obviously there isn't much opposition from code enforcers in those areas.

I wouldn't mind seeing some artfull graffiti on either side the 95 as you approach Miami. Those birds on carved into the walled sound barriers is quite lame.
    City officials, agencies, businesses and the arts would have an opportunity displaying crafty messages about safety and cultural aspects of Miami.

Where I come from, grafitti and gangs are more rampant. Business owners in some neighborhoods got savy and hired hands to paint the Virgin of Guadalupe on their store fronts. These places never get tagged.

Maria,

It looks like your car got decorated while you were there! Just kidding I know the design was already there!

I'm down with graffiti being art as long as it's not gang related..but I guess it's hard to tell.

Are they associated with the same people driving around south beach tagging signs, private buildings, and other property?

Burgundy, I honestly can't answer that question. There are many graffiti writers in town, and it's difficult to say who's doing what, unless you can identify the specific tag.

I got the feeling from talking to Atomic that just scribbling your name to deface a property was not cool. Writers like him seem to be into the real artistic stuff.

The graffiti is amazing... but all I kept looking at was your car! It looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    I don't think that was me, Coach. I'm not familiar with that wall. Some business owners are ok with graffiti as long as it's ok with zoning regulations. I've been told though that these "permission" walls don't necessarily last.

A couple of the walls we saw were permission walls, but in some pretty ratty parts of town, and obviously there isn't much opposition from code enforcers in those areas.
    Aha, yes, well, the story of the wall next to 95 that you are referring to is that the wealthy art supporters Margulies had that piece commissioned for their warehouse/gallery. It is on their building. The city has tried to have it removed a couple times, but nuh-uh. Margulies ain't having none of that. I love it when the good guys win.

Also, if anyone ever gets a chance to tour the Margulies warehouse, I cannot stress strongly enough to do it.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Very cool, Maria. I watched your video. Thanks for sharing.

The London graffiti artist I was telling you about is named, Bansky. To see some of his outdoor work, drag the horizontal scroll bar on this page.

Thanks, Gus!

Coach, yeah the Margulies family has contributed much to our town's art scene. Thanks for sharing the link to their site. I'm going to Electric Pickle tomorrow so I'll make sure to drive by the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Very cool, Maria. I watched your video. Thanks for sharing.

The London graffiti artist I was telling you about is named, Bansky. To see some of his outdoor work, drag the horizontal scroll bar on this page.
    He is very famous.

Cool link Gus... I especially like the Simpsons one...

Atomik and others are in a show this weekend! Check it out!