Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Only in Miami...

Default Only in Miami...

I have been meaning to start this thread for quite some time, as the phrase 'Only in Miami' comes out of mine, Matt Meltzers and Sungals mouth about 5 times a week at least. So this thread is for all the weird, wonderful, infuriating stuff that can and does only happen here.

I'll go first with some of the stuff I have seen in the last week:

Someone keeps leaving a coconut in my bike basket. (I kid you not. I am starting to think one of the homeless people here is a secret admirer.)

I went for a walk the other day to see two guys pushing a full size fridge down the middle of Collins Ave. God knows where they were going.

They closed my bus stop so they could do a photo shoot. Hellooo? I have to get places!

I'm sure there are more that I'll remember... feel free to add your own observations about this crazy city!

Only in Maimi is Cuba so far away.

Saw 3 chicks frolicking in the rooftop fountain at the Clevelander. Two were buck nekkid, and one was topless. No, I didn't complain. Yes, topless is common in SoBe, but naked and frollicking in a rooftop decorative fountain comes under the topic of "Only in Miami".

Glenn and Janet

I have so many only in Miami moments that I know I will keep this thread alive for some time.

I will have to start off with the time I got assaulted by Cubans when covering a political protest at Versailles.

Here is the video.

Last edited by Carlos Miller; 04-27-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Here are the pictures of me defending myself after the Cuban assaulted me. They were taken by an El Herald photographer.

Name:  versailleincident1.jpg
Views: 2408
Size:  60.9 KBName:  versaillesassaultincident2.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  91.8 KB

I believe I remember passing by that day when the demo was still in passive mode. No doubt, that's the easiest hornet's nest to agitate in Miami without getting stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Here are the pictures of me defending myself after the Cuban assaulted me. They were taken by an El Herald photographer.

Name:  versaillesassaultincident2.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  91.8 KB
    Holy crap, it's like he's doing a zombie lunge at you!

"BRAAAAAINS!" hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post

"BRAAAAAINS!" hahaha
    That's after I pushed him backwards. He was trying to grasp onto something.

Before that, first the guy grabbed me and then knocked my camera down, which is why I pushed him back.

I have another one...

Today's entry: my friend is on a health kick and joined the David Barton gym. He has just come to me and said, "I intended to go to the gym after work, and now I find out they're doing happy hour for the next 3 days!"

Yep, only in Miami does your gym host happy hours.

A couple of years ago, I was attending a backyard party at a friend's house where they were roasting a pig.

Apparently, the pig was brought by another group of guys whom I didn't really know.

As the pig was cooking, there was some type of altercation and the guys who owned the pig picked it up and walked off.

So you have a group of men walking down the street with a giant pig. We ended up ordering pizza that night.

Then there was the time when I was on South Beach interviewing the guy with the rooster, which in itself, is an only in Miami moment even though he is hardly alone considering I constantly hear roosters from the neighborhood below my condo.

And then it started pouring rain. And the rain just kept coming down. Next thing you know, the streets are flooded and there was no way I was able to leave South Beach.

So I grabbed my cameras and shot some video and photos.

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/relo...-flooding.html

I've seen pissed off guys walking away from the field with their pigskin. This certainly adds a new twist.

All those Versailles geezers were ready to throw their dentures and prosthetics at Carlos!

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post

"BRAAAAAINS!" hahaha
    ahahahhaa so true

Carlos should edit his video and include the sound track of The Monser Max.

Only in Maimi, would you go to a Publix and find yourself in a hispanic bodega.

Only in Miami does the safety announcement on an airplane come on in Spanish FIRST. On a domestic flight.

Only in Miami can you stop for gas and have some wine and cheese while you're at it

Only in Miami do you go out to walk your dogs, (this morning), and see people skate boarding down Collins Ave before dawn.

Only in Miami do you go out to walk your dogs on Collins Ave, (tonight), and pass a man on a bike with two snakes wrapped around his neck.

Only in Miami is the announcement over the speaker system at Wal Mart ONLY in Spanish. I experienced this not too long after I moved here in July of 2008 and knew right then I was in for a BIG change.

Uh... some of those you guys posted aren't really "only in Miami".

This one I'm pretty sure also isn't strictly "only in Miami", but I'm positive it is really rare in America. We were at the beach yesterday and a couple of cute girls were walking north through the surf. I am really sure they were under 18. One was topless.

This one I learned only recently and totally love. Only in Miami does the local director of one of the largest funding agencies in the country shop at a ramshackle record store run by a red-headed force of nature. (That's Dennis Scholl, The Knight Foundation, Sweat, and Lolo, for those that don't know.)

ONLY in Miami can you arrive at your hotel at midnight, party for several hours, eat a decent meal amongst models, then go party for several more hours, and head straight to the beach.
    (That was us, years ago on a vacation, Level Nightclub, 11th Street Diner, an actual table jammed full of models behind us, Space Nightclub, and 10th Street beach. It is the night that is essentially the reason we live here now.)

Had a few Miami moments recently.

I had a noisy neighbors dog keep me up last night, and gave up trying to sleep at 4am. I went to Ted's.

Only in Miami can you wander into a bar at 4am when you can't sleep.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast