Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

But the old, fat white guys don't mind paying for bottle service, so we like them!

Default Re: The official Memorial Day Weekend discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post

LOL check out the guy at 1:13 - 1:32, he really doesn't know how to stand when he sees that he's being filmed

Part of the price of living in a glamour city that it's going to attract events that some residents might not want to host.

Get over it !

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

From a visitors standpoint, I walked into Urban Beach Weekend as blindly as the cops did in 2001 trying to get away from Black Biker Weekend in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Black Beach Week Home.

I've never been so pissed in my life because the crowd was COMPLETELY out of control. Just the things I personally witnessed; three men jumping into a Mustang convertable and beating the shit out of the driver, a gang bang between the beach and the South Seas Hotel (this was before the boardwalk), being harrassed to the point of going to Mid Beach, public urination constantly, and absolutely zero police presence.

I don't care what color you are but I'll never go back to South Beach for Memorial Weekend.

New User

hi all I've just been reading these threads the last couple of days, and can't believe how selfish and moany half of you sound!

In London we have a a yearly carnival called notting hill carnival and believe me it's worst than your memorial day celebrations we have shootings stabbings litter everywhere and this carnival is done in a residential area and so the locals should be really pissed of for two days, but they are not why? because they cash in on the event providing their own services such as toilets and they sell food and drink outside their homes and it's a dancehall reggae carnival which is not everyone's taste in music but people embrace the culture and try to keep it fun but you guys now your something else! this brings money to your little city and all you do is complain so what if they litter the place it's no different to wmc where the beach was disgusting everday but when I return the nxt morning it's clean you have cleaners like we do to clean the streets and beach it's no different to a rock concert because you would have had the same behavior and don't even try and talk about the clothes that some women are wearing I don't condole slutty slutty look but there was plenty of that in bloody wmc and ultra week so what the hell you guys moaning about just take it in a be glad your city is attracting so many tourists and if really don't want be there get the hell out for the weekend!

p.s google notting hill carnival or even youtube it and you'll see what I mean!

Thank you for your opinion, LondonGal. Unfortunately, in the US, we are not allowed to sell food to the public from our homes. And if you read Matt's article, you'll see that he states that restaurants and bars have a problem with people walking out on their check, nevermind a tip. Hopefully the hotels are making good money on this weekend.

You don't often hear of stabbings, rapes, and shootings from WMC, which is why I believe this weekend gets a bad rap, compared to other events. Once again, as Matt mentioned, it is the Hip Hop culture that promotes this type of behavior - Biggie and Tupac aren't dead for nothing.

And just for the record, out of the 10 years I lived in South Beach, only one time did I see a bloody female standing in the middle of the road, with only a hand towel around her, after just being raped, and it was Memorial day Weekend.

I believe this weekend has calmed down quite a bit since then. I think now it is a lot of hype and arrests for petty things. However, I think it is ok if people talk about it and moan a little bit. It helps tourists who wish to visit Miami at that time make an educated decision as to whether they really should come that weekend, or perhaps wait for another time.

I can understand how people would be upset over property destruction and shootings in their neighborhood, and I get that it's not a question of color but of behavior. There is another black-themed event in Miami each year known as the Goombay festival, which, from what I know of it, doesn't create near the same chaos and negative reactions. Like the Notting Hill Carnival, it's also a celebration of Afro-Caribbean culture, specifically the Bahamas. While things may get a little wild, it's a very different feel from the atmosphere at Urban Beach Weekend in South Beach. I believe the Notting Hill Carnival would probably be closer to the Goombay festival, judging from what I just saw on youtube.

Carlos, your video was funny. That guy remembers you... crazy!

Hopefully he learned a lesson from that experience, a public relations lesson that made him look like a moron.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    And just for the record, out of the 10 years I lived in South Beach, only one time did I see a bloody female standing in the middle of the road, with only a hand towel around her, after just being raped, and it was Memorial day Weekend.
    We should mention, the incident had nothing to do with anyone visiting that weekend. The rape occurred by her boyfriend's friend who lived here.

Smile Re: The official Memorial Day Weekend discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer View Post
    Just a few sample Twitter updates from the gun shooting on South Beach.

I heart BKCHICK718.

This so-called Urban Weekend is peanuts. Just be grateful Miami Beach is not hosting a G-9 Summit.

My home town is hosting the G-9 this fall and it won't even groan when it goes down, Time for Miami Beach to grow up and take a hit in the groin once in a while. For crying out loud, it's only one weekend of each year.

The biggest myth thrown out there, is that the city and businesses make so much money from this event. You could have walked straight into Joes last night and picked your table, which is unheard of for a Sunday/holiday weekend.

I would have less of a problem with this event, it was not held the most popular weekend of the year. During June/July/August or any other month (not holiday), and it would provide a boost...but not this weekend. It actually hurts most businesses, and this doesn't even account for how much police money is required.

Just to help prove my point, look how the Ritz was having trouble selling rooms this past weekend, but is sold out the next two weekends. Rooms at the Delano, W, and Gansevort were cheaper than normal too.

Oh for fuck's sake, I 'm a born and raised native and I have yet to eat at Joe's. Yeah, I said it. It's the truth.

Although it's famous, I've heard too many negative reviews to even give a shit about it.

But really, it's that the indicator that determines if this weekend was successful or not?

Fuck Joes.

Todd, I'm beginning to think you work at Joe's.

And really, if everybody is going to be so chickenshit about going to South Beach because a bunch of negros are partying their asses off on it, then the real problem is within the white folk who are being pussies.

Nobody is preventing anybody from getting into Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Part of the price of living in a glamour city that it's going to attract events that some residents might not want to host.

Get over it !
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer View Post
    The biggest myth thrown out there, is that the city and businesses make so much money from this event. You could have walked straight into Joes last night and picked your table, which is unheard of for a Sunday/holiday weekend.

I would have less of a problem with this event, it was not held the most popular weekend of the year. During June/July/August or any other month (not holiday), and it would provide a boost...but not this weekend. It actually hurts most businesses, and this doesn't even account for how much police money is required.

Just to help prove my point, look how the Ritz was having trouble selling rooms this past weekend, but is sold out the next two weekends. Rooms at the Delano, W, and Gansevort were cheaper than normal too.
    Sorry, Todd, this is just a myth propegated by whiney residents.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that one of the reasons Memorial Day was chosen was because it was historically slow in Miami Beach. Remember that our tourist seasons are different than many tourist areas.

Anyway, Joes may have missed the mark on their marketing, but someone was sure making money:

Help help! They are coming to take us over! Seriously?

Yup, nobody makes any money this weekend.

But, just in case, they hired Mad Max to run security:

Noooooooooooobody is making any money this weekend.

Well, now here's something you never see in Miami Beach (riiiiiiiight).

No commentary on this one, I just like the way it turned out.

And, you know how classy Miami Beach is normally.

(Under the watermark, it says "Never Used.")

So, I went walking around twice. Had no issues. Took a bunch of photos. Posted the rest of them here.

Lightbulb stone crab season over

Could the lack of a wait at Joe's be due to the fact that stone crab season ended 2 weeks ago??

I think they are trying to keep the place open a bit longer than usual before taking their summer break---I'm sure glad they are! They have GREAT chicken only $8.95 for broiled and $6.95 for fried at the take out!

Real Bargain!!!

Carlos, I'm taking you there!

Perhaps, though, the lack of stone crabs (which I don't eat anyway) is the reason for the lack of lines.

(as for disclosure Fred Garvin is not, nor never has been, an employee of Joe's)

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Sorry, Todd, this is just a myth propegated by whiney residents.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that one of the reasons Memorial Day was chosen was because it was historically slow in Miami Beach. Remember that our tourist seasons are different than many tourist areas.

].
    No, Memorial Weekend was chosen because it is Black Beach Week all over the world. Cancun, Ibiza, etc.

Black Beach Week Home

Thanks Carlos, I guess call me a pussy. From the shit my two girlfriends and I got thrown in the middle of, for you to try and tell us that we are just being scardy cats is insulting.

Unhappy Closing Stats

In the words of Bill and Ted, in their classic film, "Let's be excellent to each other!"

Here is a summary of the closings stats:

Police: Fewer arrests in Miami Beach for holiday - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

.................................and Joe's reports not a single stone crab lost their life during the weekend
    Last edited by fredgarvin; 06-01-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Talking MDW our last weekend of the season

We spent our last weekend of the "season" this past MDW and can report that avoiding Ocean and Collins except in the morning worked out really well. We kept commenting how our side of the island was so normal. Boardwalk and beachwalk were pretty normal as well and the city did a remarkable job of cleaning up each morning. We were amazed at how much litter there was when we were on Ocean at 6:30 AM and by 8 it was mostly cleaned up.

We can report that we saw Tremont towing all over the place but I wonder what the number of tows are on a normal weekend during winter? Though they seemed to be busy they ALWAYS seem busy. Well MB, see you hopefully by Halloween!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast