Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Fatal motorcycle crash on the MacArthur Causeway yesterday

You could not pay me to ride a motorcycle in south florida....particularly without a helmet.

A deadly accident on the MacArthur Causeway had traffic backed up for hours, and the police hoping a message will be underscored.

Saturday afternoon, 21-year-old Barbara Gonzalez was going home after a day on the beach when she became a witness to a violent death. She called her mother, who was in another car.

"Oh she was hysterical," Gonzalez's mother Susan Tarrago told CBS4's Gio Benitez. "'Just hurry up, hurry up; come back! Something happened!' I said, 'What happened?!' She said, 'We got involved in a car accident with a motorcycle.'"

Gonzalez told her mom that she felt something hit the back of her car. When she looked forward, she saw the motorcycle, and two bodies, fly in front of her. The driver of the motorcycle was transported to Ryder Trauma Center. The woman was killed.

Raul Montero is the motorcycle driver's boss at Dadeland Dodge. "Great guy," he described. "I can't say anything bad about him."
    Montero says he considers the man a son, since the driver's family lives in Texas.
    Montero went on to say that both liked to ride their bikes on the weekend, but never wear helmets. "You know, we like to feel the wind on our head."

Kenia Reyes with the City of Miami Police hopes that's a habit that will soon change. "We continuously tell people that when you're on a motorcycle, make sure you wear helmets."

The Causeway was backed up for hours going westbound; eastbound was backed up nearly a mile during the investigation.

Read more: Motorcycle Accident Closes MacArthur For Hours - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

Motorcycle Accident Closes MacArthur For Hours - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com
    Last edited by Maria de los Angeles; 06-13-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added quote tag

We passed this on the way back from Gus and Michelle's...395 closed and traffic was unreal. Very sad...

That's why it took me an hour and a half to get home last night. I figured it was some type of fatal accident. Very sad. This is why I don't ride motorcycles either. The article doesn't say much as to how it happened. Sounds to me like the motorcycle was tailgating. Nonetheless, my prayers go out to them. All of you motorcyle drivers be careful out there.

Wow, so in Miami motorcycle drivers don't have to wear helmets? That's pretty stupid. My old boyfriend had a BMW motorcycle and I had to wear a full face helmet, boots, and full leathers. (Leather pants and a leather jacket that zipped together). I could wear jeans if it was just around town. Sometimes I complained but that's what you do when you do when you're on a motorcycle.

Motorcycle drivers vary the clothing/helmet choices by the brand of bike they buy. Luckily BMW drivers are very cautious. Harley guys wear only a skull cap, but they wear a leather jacket and boots. The Kawasaki guys do a full facemask but wear shorts, T-shirt, and sneakers.

I wonder what this poor girl was wearing.

I've seen 3 motorcycle accidents in my life (2 I saw actually falling off the bike). I'll never get on one and I don't feel comfortable with any of my loved ones on them.

If you want to feel the wind in your hair, get a convertible, ride a bicycle, or get a boat.

Default Helmet Law

In Michigan its against the law to ride without a helmet and every year the Republican members of the legislature pass a bill to repeal it, usually joined by a few Democrats as well. Its part of a belief that individuals who want to kill themselves are free to do it without the state telling them no. Because we have a Democratic governor the bill to repeal is always vetoed because of the belief that the injuries, police involvement, costs, etc., are expensive to the state as witnessed by the 3.5 hour closure of the McCarthur. It always seems unusual to me having lived most of my life seeing only motorcylists with helmets to see them unprotected.

A very close friend of mine was severly brain damaged by a fall from his bicycle and spent months in rehab with a closed head injury. He was a doctor who had to retire and is still, almost 11 years later, still affected by the injury. He was finally able to drive a car after 8 years, and thats from a fall from a bike!

You're telling me it's legal to ride a Motorcycle with NO helmet? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Surely it's just common sense to wear one? Why has this not been made illegal?

Common sense should rule here, whoever makes these decisions obviously has none. That's unbelievable, if you ride a bike, you are 57 times more likely to be injured in serious or fatal crashes than car drivers.

Welcome to Miami Jay.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I had to aslso wear gloves on the motorcycle. I love how the Miami Police say "make sure you wear a helmet". No, it should be a law to protect people who aren't smart enough to make that choice for themselves. Anyway, Miami is just too hot in the summer to ride a motorcycle with all the protective gear.

Default Re: Fatal motorcycle crash on the MacArthur Causeway yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to add that I had to aslso wear gloves on the motorcycle. I love how the Miami Police say "make sure you wear a helmet". No, it should be a law to protect people who aren't smart enough to make that choice for themselves. Anyway, Miami is just too hot in the summer to ride a motorcycle with all the protective gear.
    Well said...

I'm the last person to vote for "Nanny State" legislation, but it's sad that some of these types of laws are passed because there are people out there who are too stupid not to wear protective gear, while riding a motorcycle, or not wear a seatbelt, while driving the car. We all know this goes beyond the boundaries of operating and/or riding in vehicles.

Default "we're all alright!..........hello Wisconsin!"

Wisconsin, the home of Harley, has been called the motorcycle capital of the world. Wearing a helmet is NOT required. (this is not an endorsement or criticism, merely a statement of fact)

I believe only eye wear is required in Florida, which is ridiculous, of course. But you'll probably never see a motorcyclist without sunglasses.

I come from a family of Harley Davidson champion racers and acrobats ... but even I have a healthy respect for the road. It's not so much the bikes but the crazy drivers around here. I would never ride one down here or in any urban congested area.

New User

Default thank you

hi all Your site is very helpful... Thanks...