Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sports Fans: Is it ever okay to boo your own team?

A few hours ago I witnessed a very poor England team draw against an Algeria team that is ranked 22 places behind them. The boos started about 10 minutes before the end of the match, and by the time the final whistle was blown all you could hear was thousands of England fans making it known they were not happy.

As he left the pitch, England's star man, Wayne Rooney turned to the television cameras and very sarcastically said: "It's nice to hear your own fans booing you, that's what loyal support is"

Name:  article-1287749-0A1A6832000005DC-844_468x293.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  37.0 KB

I can understand the fans' frustrations, it has cost people a hell of a lot of money to travel to the World Cup to support their teams. But how much can booing a side ever really help them?

I doubt, after all, they are likely to suddenly spring to life in the face of a negative reaction from the crowd. England players have previously spoken about how they disliked playing at Wembley, their home ground, because of the way the fans would get on their backs. And to make things worse, the boos usually start during the final, crucial stages of a match.

So I ask the question to all sports fans, is it ever okay to boo your own side?

if they play like sh*t, yes.

Thumbs down This isn't high school

What kind of 'girly man' is this looser Rooney?

A REAL professional will 'suck it up,' work harder, and turn those jeers to cheers!

To blame fans (who pay his wages), for his feeble play, is, as we say here in 'merica, "bush league!"

Seriously though, this isn't high school sports. I don't go to sporting events to boo, but if a fan pays their good money, why can't they express their displeasure? Is this guy trying to foster the wimp sterotype many of us in the USA have of soccer players? Does he also complain if he doesn't like the 'snack' the parents bring for after the game?

He would never make it in Phili!

rk

Default Re: Sports Fans: Is it ever okay to boo your own team?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2010 View Post
    So I ask the question to all sports fans, is it ever okay to boo your own side?
    If it's soccer, sure, why not.

It happens even to the Lakers when they tank a game.

Default Re: This isn't high school

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    What kind of 'girly man' is this looser Rooney?

A REAL professional will 'suck it up,' work harder, and turn those jeers to cheers!

To blame fans (who pay his wages), for his feeble play, is, as we say here in 'merica, "bush league!"

Seriously though, this isn't high school sports. I don't go to sporting events to boo, but if a fan pays their good money, why can't they express their displeasure? Is this guy trying to foster the wimp sterotype many of us in the USA have of soccer players? Does he also complain if he doesn't like the 'snack' the parents bring for after the game?

He would never make it in Phili!
    You're right Fred, it is "bush league!". I think there is something going on behind the scenes which is making the team play bad.

But soccer aside, do you think it benefits teams to hear their own fans booing? What good does it do? That's the question I'm asking. Surely if a team is playing bad, they want to hear their fans getting behind them rather than booing. I'm talking all sports here, not just soccer, seeing as the majority of you would boo even if your side was winning 5-0.

Default Re: This isn't high school

You're right Fred, it is "bush league!". I think there is something going on behind the scenes which is making the team play bad.

But soccer aside, do you think it benefits teams to hear their own fans booing? What good does it do? That's the question I'm asking. Surely if a team is playing bad, they want to hear their fans getting behind them rather than booing. I'm talking all sports here, not just soccer, seeing as the majority of you would boo even if your side was winning 5-0.

That's an interesting question. I think a " regular " team could handle adversity better players drawn up from different teams to form a National Team. I think the English, ( I've learned ) are a resilient people. As Garvin noted, thet wthstood alone the barrage of satan, and preserved the freeworld till help came.

Now fast forwarding to today: Yhe US team controls it's destiny. I haven't done the math yet, but it looks like a victory will assure advancement to the second round. I'm hoping that Her Majesty's Men rout Slovekia and advance because of tie breakers. Maybe you Jay can spell out the scenario for England to advance to the 2nd rnd. Naturally, USSF is my priority, but I'd like to see our cousins across the pond enjoy the event in the later rounds.

Don'y know how the second round match-ups will look like, but Italy looks pretty damn good, irregardless of the tie against Paraguay. They played outside their traditional style, which I admit is ugly - but effective.

This is how it stands:

1st - Slovenia = 4 Points
    2nd - USA = 2 Points
    3rd - England = 2 Points
    4th - Algeria = 1 Points

Remaining games:

England vs Slovenia
    USA vs Algeria

England need to win their final game against Slovenia to advance to the next round.
    USA also need to win their final game against Algeria to advance to the next round.
    However, it is possible for either the US or England to qualify if they draw their last game. It would then come down to goals scored/conceded as they would both be on the same points.

UTS, I agree that a regular club team can handle negativity more than a National side. I think this is due to the fact that the players know each other better, so can work together to overcome poor form easier. Plus, a National side carries the hopes and expectations of the whole Nation, rather than just one city.

Booing a National side, in my opinion, is counter productive. They don't get paid to represent their country, and rightly so. It's an honor to represent your country in any form, whether it be the World Cup, Olympics or in the Armed Forces. But if you sense that your country is not behind you 100%, the doubts start creeping in, which will show in performances.

Angry Re: Sports Fans: Is it ever okay to boo your own team?

This is how it stands:

1st - Slovenia = 4 Points
    2nd - USA = 2 Points
    3rd - England = 2 Points
    4th - Algeria = 1 Points

Remaining games:

England vs Slovenia
    USA vs Algeria

England need to win their final game against Slovenia to advance to the next round.
    USA also need to win their final game against Algeria to advance to the next round.
    However, it is possible for either the US or England to qualify if they draw their last game. It would then come down to goals scored/conceded as they would both be on the same points.

UTS, I agree that a regular club team can handle negativity more than a National side. I think this is due to the fact that the players know each other better, so can work together to overcome poor form easier. Plus, a National side carries the hopes and expectations of the whole Nation, rather than just one city.

Booing a National side, in my opinion, is counter productive. They don't get paid to represent their country, and rightly so. It's an honor to represent your country in any form, whether it be the World Cup, Olympics or in the Armed Forces. But if you sense that your country is not behind you 100%, the doubts start creeping in, which will show in performances.
    I disagree! Its not like they are booing the RAF! They are booing a bunch of wankers who knock balls into their own goal, don't try hard enough, and cry like little babies when they are called on it!

If Churchill was alive, he'd probably be booing them for they way they are acting!

When the going got tough for England, she made it her finest hour! These sissy boy blokes would rather complain! Good thing they weren't around in the '40's!

I disagree! Its not like they are booing the RAF! They are booing a bunch of wankers who knock balls into their own goal, don't try hard enough, and cry like little babies when they are called on it!

If Churchill was alive, he'd probably be booing them for they way they are acting!

When the going got tough for England, she made it her finest hour! These sissy boy blokes would rather complain! Good thing they weren't around in the '40's!
    Knock balls into their own goal?! Not sure that's right!

I think that's a bit extreme by making such comparisons. Yes, they aren't performing right now, but it runs deeper than the team just not trying hard enough. I think there is problems behind the scenes, the manager seems to have lost the team somehow. He's old school, very stuck in his ways. If things aren't going right, he isn't the kind of coach to change things drastically. I think this is affecting the players.

And for the record, it was only one player complaining, which he has come out and apologised for. I actually think it's a good thing he reacted to the boos, it's the first bit of passion he's shown in the tournament!

Fred, enough of the soccer hating, we all know you despise it! Try and forget your loyalties towards other sports, and stay on topic. Do you think that booing ANY sports team in a situation like this is right? Or help the matter?

The England boys are stars Fred. Please don't call them wankers.

Unhappy Re: Sports Fans: Is it ever okay to boo your own team?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The England boys are stars Fred. Please don't call them wankers.

Isn't that (star) what wanker means in english slang? (he asks innocently!)

Seriously Jess, I have no doubt that they are fine soccer players, stars for sure; but it is a jerk-@## thing to do---blame the fans for your own poor play! Instead of complaining, they need to gather together, reach for that x-tra England is so famous for--like their parents and grandparents when england stood alone.

I think any paid athlete, who blames poor play on fan booing is a jerk.

Mind you, I don't espouse booing, but you can cheer a team thorough thick and thin (like we have in chicago with the cubs) and look what you get, 102 years of losers. I'm sure you'll agree with me that soccer team england, will NEVER want to be called that!(jay this is toward your point).

I think any paid athlete, who blames poor play on fan booing is a jerk.
    I think you've taken it a little bit out of context Fred. No players were blaming the fans for their poor display, they have all openly admitted they played bad and it was down to them as a team. However, Mr Rooney has made the point that hearing your own fans booing you off the pitch at the end of the game is not what the team needs, which I agree on.

But I do agree, 102 years of being a loser is not good. But, the England team are considered massive underperformers. The past decade has apparently been the "Golden Generation" in English football, where they were expected to win every with this bunch of players. It's been 44 long years since we won anything, so I can only imagine what 102 feels like!

I think the media over here is partly to blame, every 4 years they hype up the whole nation by saying "this is our year." You can't escape it, it's literally EVERYWHERE. I don't think any other nation's media puts as much pressure and expectation on their team than the English media does.

Here is "Rooney's Rant" for any that missed it. (Apologies if you can't understand the Scouse accent, not many can! )

Angry The only....

The only time I recall a local team being a pre-season favorite and actually winning, was this year's Blackhawks.

From what your telling me, it sounds like the boooos might just be what they needed rather than a 'cheery-ho mate, we'll get them soundly next time!'

Rooney should paint St. George's cross on himself and fight like a englishman! (are you sure he's not french?)

Remember, Wrigley Field is beautiful, Cub games are fun, but without any complaints, sometimes there is no pressure to improve the product! (yes even for 102 years!)

The fans do not always boo their team after they lose. A lot of times, even when the team loses, their fans cheer them at the end of the game, if they showed a good effort and just couldn't win or didnt have much luck. But it is entirely different when they don't show much effort and they play really bad - that's when 99% of all fans will go boo.

You absolutely boo. All the time. If we're gonna elevate athletes the way we do, then they have to expect t obr brought down hard too. I used to boo at UF games in Gainesville (when they played badly) and you'd have thought I was calling the virgin Mary a whore. Real fans treat athletes like the entertainers they are. Again, if we're going to elevate them to be more than people, then we can bring them down the same way.

This is why I loved UM. We booed the football team regularly when they sucked. ESPECIALLY in the student section. That's what you call REAL fans.

Cool

I heard a funny joke today!

The England football team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope", said Jamal aged 6.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    I heard a funny joke today!

The England football team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope", said Jamal aged 6.
    Hey, enough of the anti-English jokes!

Default It seems like the boos are just the start of the problems...

Our Ex-Captain has decided that he has balls all of a sudden, big mistake. Never question the manager John Terry.

WORLD CUP 2010: It's mutiny! John Terry fails in plot to undermine Fabio Capello | Mail Online

John Terry is the biggest p***k in the world. Go home and sort your love life out, you cheating asshole.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast