Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default 10 Words We Need to Stop Misspelling

Someone sent me this on Facebook and I thought it would be useful here, too!

10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling - The Oatmeal

My favorite is the one about remembering how to spell "definitely"!

rk

Very clever. I liked it alot.

My common error is I interchange are and our without even thinkg about it. Spelling, nor writing have ever been my fort.

Everybody does lose and loose. That's the most common one.

Angry classic

soccer--a classic word that can be used instead of the term 'watching paint dry.'

rk

Default Re: classic

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    soccer--a classic word that can be used instead of the term 'watching paint dry.'
    Haha, Ouch!

Thanks Doug for posting. I hate it when people misspell those basic words... I see it in newspapers, magazines... who is editing these people?!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Cool link, Doug.

This was my favorite part...

"Alot is not a word.
    You don't write
    alittle abunch, acantaloupe, aporkchop
    So don't write Alot"

Seeing as we're on the subject of spelling.

I always found it strange how the US has different ways of spelling English words. Anybody have any reason why this may have happened? Or is it another case of Americans trying to put their own spin on things?! Like Soccer instead of Football as the rest of the World knows it!

Some examples;

You say Color, we say Colour
    You say Favorite, we say Favourite
    You say Memorize, we say Memorise
    You say Theater, we say Theatre
    You say Jewelry, we say Jewellery
    You call it a Check, we call it a Cheque

I thought it was called the English Language? What language would you say you spoke, English or American?

Is is officially known as English-English and English-American. My spell check on outlook is set to English-American for the words that sometimes slip past me... my most recent was realize. Or realise as I wrote it.

I remember going over this list and a few others back in college. I can say i have been guilty recently of using "alot" instead of "a lot".

Its the kind of thing that microsoft work auto-corrects for you without noticing. Then when you hop on the message boards and forums no such correction takes place. I think the relaxed grammar/spelling requirements needed forums, facebooks, messenges etc doesn't help.

I actually just saw someone write "loosing" for "losing" on a Facebook comment, so it does happen.

And yes, British English can be a different language! The first time I went over, I thought "boot sales" were places you could buy discount footwear and I had to ask a woman selling concessions what "crisps" were. Also, when we get "pissed" in the US, it means something entirely different than getting pissed in England. On a more subtle level, I learned that while "quite" means plenty over here, on the other side of the pond it means "a bit". So if you say something was quite good, it means it was only somewhat nice. As far as misspelled words go, "quite" and "quiet" are two things people also tend to interchange a lot.

Default Re: 10 Words We Need to Stop Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I actually just saw someone write "loosing" for "losing" on a Facebook comment, so it does happen.

And yes, British English can be a different language! The first time I went over, I thought "boot sales" were places you could buy discount footwear and I had to ask a woman selling concessions what "crisps" were. Also, when we get "pissed" in the US, it means something entirely different than getting pissed in England. On a more subtle level, I learned that while "quite" means plenty over here, on the other side of the pond it means "a bit". So if you say something was quite good, it means it was only somewhat nice. As far as misspelled words go, "quite" and "quiet" are two things people also tend to interchange a lot.
    Ya i def see the loose and lose switch alot on stuff like facebook, etc. Theres another thing that i HATE to see and its usually over texts.

When people are acknowleding something im getting alot of "I no" instead of "I know". I would hope they know the difference but honestly with some of these people i actually question it and it makes me insane.

Yes, I fear texting will completely destroy what little is left of our written language. At least it will get rid of those excess apostrophes, though!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes, I fear texting will completely destroy what little is left of our written language. At least it will get rid of those excess apostrophes, though!
    I second that Doug. The most basic words might even be mispelled especially if the new generation continue to be dependent on the shortcut text messages. It's sad to know how technology can greatly affect our grammar and spelling if we let it control us.

I will say this, having taught writing to some of the "younger" generation, despite their abysmal texting and Facebook grammar, when tasked to write actual official correspondence they are pretty good at it. Of course, the kids at UF are generally the cream of the public school crop in this state, so the ones at Miami-Dade may still be bastardizing the language. Who knows.

But when I see a lot of these that Doug posted, the person immediately falls out of my top tier of respect for their intelligence (aka as smart or smarter than me). Kinda like people who are horrifically unfamiliar with geography or basic civics. And before any of you jump down my throat, when I make those mistakes it's 99.9% of the time a typo.