Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess

Thread: Wrong Parking Ticket

New User

Default Wrong Parking Ticket

I got a parking ticket of the most stupid way in this world. Today 07/22/10 got a parking ticked after one month ago and I even didn't know it.!!!

I was on Miami Beach on 06/07/2010 trying to put my debit and credit card in the machine on 3 st with Ocean dr, but it wasn't working so the agent helped with that when he saw me. The machine after several attempts didn't work so I had to put some bills in there, and the man helped me with this task because he knew how this worked better than me; however, when I came back to my car to put the bought ticked I found a parking citation in my windshield, so I run after the man who was already in the corner and told him that the car he had just ticked was mine so he smiled and apologized, so he told me to not take account my ticket.

What can I do? I am pretty sure that the man who emerged this ticket remember this case if he is honest enough of course.
    Should I have to pay this anyway?

Does it exists any website where I can complain about it? Can I fight this? Did anyone live the same situation?

I honestly am scared to go to Miami Beach again after this issue.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine.

We were going to eat at Burger and Beer Joint and were trying to get change for the meter when we saw the guy writing a ticket. We ran out there and talked him out of writing the ticket because we were just trying to get change.

He told us not to worry about it because he was not going to file the ticket.

My friend later learned that the ticket had been filed and he needed to pay the fine.

You can take it to court and argue in front of the judge but there are no guarantees.

Hi angelscorpio, I'm sorry you went through that. Geez, it's like we need to put a sign on the dashboard that says "I'm the one standing over there paying for the parking."

I think the only thing you can do is take it to court, as Carlos suggested. Also, if you did pay for parking, don't you still have the stub from the machine? That is your evidence right there ... the time of the ticket being so close to the time of the stub.

rk

From the city web site: http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/....aspx?id=30914

10. What is the process to contest a citation?
    The Parking Department only reviews two types of parking citations within 15 days of issuance:

a) Broken meters
    b) Issued to residential and or municipal permits holders

If you feel that you were cited in error, and it is one of the types of citations the City of Miami Beach Parking Administration will review your request and notify you by mail within 3-4 weeks.

All other citations must be appealed in court through the Parking Violations Bureau.

The City of Miami Beach Parking Department does not accept citation payments.

All pertinent information relating to payment options and locations are listed in the back of your citation.

11. What is the contact information for the Parking Violations Bureau?
    There are several county locations listed on the back of each citation. The Miami Beach office is located at: 1130 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor. You can pay with a credit card by calling (305) 275-1133, you will need your citation number to pay over the phone.

Parking Violation Hearings will be scheduled at our downtown office at 22 NW 1 Street, 4th floor, Miami, FL 33128. If you have any questions or concerns with parking citations, please contact:

Parking Violations Bureau
    Miami-Dade County, Florida.
    (305) 275-1133

Thanks for the info, RK.

It is such a pain in the ass to take a ticket to court, most people bite the bullet and just pay. I mean, I would *lose* income if I went to court.

Angelscorpio, I hope this will not deter you from coming to Miami Beach. Parking garages are always a safe bet if you want to avoid this. Also, being the jaded paranoid citizen that I am, I always go to a machine close to my car and look around my shoulder. I would hail or scream at the meter maid or run over to him/her to tell them I just parked and am paying for a ticket. I understand that in your case, you were not aware the ticket was being issued, which can happen.

RK, perhaps you know the answer to this question? But I was told once that once a parking citation has been filed, the meter maid can't "unfile" it ... is that true? Most of these are done electronically on the spot.

Take it to court, angelscorpio. If the parking attendant doesn't show up, the judge (or hearing officer), will take off the ticket. If he does, you can argue your case and yes, you can win. I take every ticket I get to court and I saved my self a bit of money. You do to need to argue your case in a clear, concise manner. Likewise, don't show up hungover, high, or dressed like a slob.

And don't read Cosmo in the court room while you're waiting your turn...! Learnt that the hard way...

LOL ... what would be appropriate reading for the parking citation courtroom, War and Peace?

Actually, you should be able to just call them and tell them what happened and you will not even need to appear in court.

Default Re: Wrong Parking Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    LOL ... what would be appropriate reading for the parking citation courtroom, War and Peace?
    Probably in my case, the Bill of Rights

New User

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Actually, you should be able to just call them and tell them what happened and you will not even need to appear in court.
    Well guys. Thank you all for the comments. I finally called them and explained the situation; however, the customer agent told me that they were an independent department from all cities and counties and then they had anything to do with that.

The customer agent was a nice Cuban girl and I explained her my situation in Spanish , yet she fessed me up that most agents promised delete or cancel the wrong ticket in these situations but they lied, so they have to fight with most customers for the same issue by phone trying to calm down ppl for the same thing. It sounded me that she was a bit tired of explaining the same thing.

I asked her if the tickets traffic agents earn based-commissions for emerge tickets so she said she was not able to answer that kind of question. LOl.

Anyway, I was a bit frustrated in how managing the situation since it's my first time I live this in my 4 years in the U.S

After reading ur suggestions about wasting time and unnecessarily headaches I decided to pay the ticket online because it would represent me a lose in my job when appearing in court to attend this parking citation. Better yet, I didn't save neither the bought ticked nor the one parking stub as a proof. It probably mean that I would lose the case since it would be my word against him.

Anyway, thanks a lot u all again. the next time I will write a big note... Hope this works
    Last edited by angelscorpio; 07-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.

This parking set up is a scam. It should be the ticket writers responsibilty to see if anyone is at the purchase site before he writes a citation. As a practice, I always look back at my car every five seconds to see if one of those SOB's even dares approaching my car.

The other issue is sometimes these machines don't work. Last time I tried to go to Chase on 8th St., The machine failed to take my debit card. I gave up and decided to just go to Publix by the River and withdraw there. I saw Matt pulling out of the spot ahead of me and I almost dared to ask him if he had time left on his ticket I could bum.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    RK, perhaps you know the answer to this question? But I was told once that once a parking citation has been filed, the meter maid can't "unfile" it ... is that true? Most of these are done electronically on the spot.
    Maria, sorry I don't know for sure. Someone told me the same thing a while back, but haven't heard anything to confirm it. It is plausible though, they may want meter people to have deniability if irate customers pressure them.

New User

I recently received a notice in the mail about an unpaid parking ticket issued on 4/28/16 but the ticket was written in error. I was never in Miami and the description if the car is not mine. They sent the notice from the mailing address for my tag without checking the registration description of my car. I believe the issuing officer mistook Os in the tag for Qs as my tag has two Qs in it. So far the only way I can find to fight this ticket is to go to Miami but I live in North Tampa, quite a long distance to drive to Miami just to fight a wrongly issued parking ticket. Does anybody know how to fight this?

The only way I know of to contest these is in person, or you can hire an attorney, Which is in no way worth it for an $18 parking ticket.

Do you have any plans to come down here? Did you try calling the department and explaining the situation? Not that I'd describe anyone in the parking violations office as "helpful" but if you're really nice maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who cares.

Send them a letter with a photo of your tag and explain the mistake.

Only in Miami. Those idiots!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.