Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Things That I Miss From My Hometown

Default Re: Things That I Miss From My Hometown

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Wahoos! Man I loved that place when I lived in Newport. Do they even have them up in LA? I thought that was mostly an OC/San Diego thing.
    They have at least one around Santa Monica/Brentwood. It was a little bit of a walk to go there on lunch hour but completely worth it.

lol, I also noticed that I need to learn how to reply with quote.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Living in Florida I miss Bojangles fried chicken and spicey chicken biscuits, sweet tea, real shrimp and grits, real grits, Altantic South Carolina oysters, fried veggies.

I have done some traveling and one of the things I always miss most about Miami when I am gone, I can not walk into a place and get a colada, and un pastel de quayava y queso while listening to old Cuban men complain about how much it costs to take luggage to Cuba.
    I feel like having my Cuban coffee easily accessible is something I take for granted.

I miss my country. The Miami lifestyle is very different from the Italian one. In Italy I live in a small town. Everyone knows each other. On street there is always someone that says hello or stops to talk to you. There are old men who tell you old stories while playing card games. There are the groups of friends that when you call one for a drink, all 20 will come. There is your favorite Pizzeria, where you eat every Saturday. The old owner treats you as a family member, sitting with you to drinking a bitter. You never fell alone. These small things have a great value. At the beginning, the big city lifestyle can be good, because you have finally some privacy, no one takes any notice of you or of your dress. You are free to be yourself without no one who will judge you...but the final result is that you often feel alone although you are surrounded by people.
    I miss italian food!Gli spaghetti alla carbonara, cacio e pepe, l'amatriciana, la fiorentina!La pizza!!!I miss pizza very much. Forgive me, but the Americans don't know make good pizza. The true pizza is the Neapolitan one!!!And the meatballs over spaghetti?? No one in Italy eats pasta in this way!
    I miss my family and my 4 cats!I miss my mother's cakes, her traditional cooking, her hugs..
    But my nation has also many flaws and many thing here work better. So, I'm sure that when I will come back in Italy I will miss many things of Miami.

Matt: Ran into Wahoos in Olde Town Pasadena. Ignored it and kept heading towards Umami Burger. Perhaps the best burger I ever had. Tried the Korean Galbi . Out of this world......

Name:  umami.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  167.9 KB

I guess I can't include Umami since it's kinda new.

It might suprise you guys, but I miss my Cuban bakery back west. Nothing in Miami can touch the excellence of Porto's in Glendale. Nothing !!!

New User

Being from NC, I miss "southern hospitality" and the food! We might be as far south as we can be, but Miami doesn't have very many "southern" folks. NC vinegar based bbq and of course Bojangles! I kind of miss the southern drawl you here from everyone and have definitely lost some of mine. I definitely miss all the Z71s and the fact that everyone with these huge over sized trucks can drive and park better than anybody in South Florida! Also, nobody ever needs to borrow your truck to move because they already have their own. Another big one for me is the less crowded beaches (Carolina Beach will always be my favorite) and shagging (the dance) in open air beach clubs to real beach music. Oh, don't forget green stuff (trees, grass, shrubs, etc.) and of course the whole money thing. I lived near all the major highways and near the mall 2 miles from work in a brand new two bedroom apartment that was 1300 sq ft (literally never been lived in!) for 800 bucks a month! Now I'm in a 600 sq ft efficiency for only 100 less! The cost of living really isn't that bad...I was in the Keys for the last year and by no means is that a cheap place to live.

accents and dialects! coz then you know your in the proper comfort zone !

Quote Originally Posted by djskuba View Post
    Being from NC, I miss "southern hospitality" and the food! We might be as far south as we can be, but Miami doesn't have very many "southern" folks. NC vinegar based bbq and of course Bojangles! I kind of miss the southern drawl you here from everyone and have definitely lost some of mine. I definitely miss all the Z71s and the fact that everyone with these huge over sized trucks can drive and park better than anybody in South Florida! Also, nobody ever needs to borrow your truck to move because they already have their own. Another big one for me is the less crowded beaches (Carolina Beach will always be my favorite) and shagging (the dance) in open air beach clubs to real beach music. Oh, don't forget green stuff (trees, grass, shrubs, etc.) and of course the whole money thing. I lived near all the major highways and near the mall 2 miles from work in a brand new two bedroom apartment that was 1300 sq ft (literally never been lived in!) for 800 bucks a month! Now I'm in a 600 sq ft efficiency for only 100 less! The cost of living really isn't that bad...I was in the Keys for the last year and by no means is that a cheap place to live.
    Yes, I miss shagging to beach music (the dance Jess) and vinegar and mustard based que! OMG I miss the good bbq! And boiled peanuts in my coca-cola bottle!

rk

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    ...And boiled peanuts in my coca-cola bottle!
    Please explain this.

I heard they're opening a Umami burger here. I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna think is has something to do with UM.

I agree with Matt the second I read Umami I thought to my self "this must be a burger place that has something to do with UM." What a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    I agree with Matt the second I read Umami I thought to my self "this must be a burger place that has something to do with UM." What a surprise.
    Matt: Looks like you're right.....
    in SoBe of all places.

http://eater.com/archives/2012/12/17...a-location.php

I hope it gives that fraud Shake Shack a run for its money. I'm not a fan of that place, possibly the most overrated cheap restaurant in Miami.

You know what I miss from my 'hometown'... Good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Please explain this.
    rk, as a kid, you'd get an ice cold coca cola in the bottle out of the ice from some country store with a bag a boiled peanuts and dump them in your co'cola. Sweet and salty and amazing.
    mirna, rk, GandJ and 1 others like this.

New User

rk, as a kid, you'd get an ice cold coca cola in the bottle out of the ice from some country store with a bag a boiled peanuts and dump them in your co'cola. Sweet and salty and amazing.
    yep...that about sums up my childhood. Where I lived, aka "the boondocks", we had a really small country store about .5 mile from my house. It was the closest establishment within 10-12 miles. It had 2 gas pumps and, get this, it still had the above ground fuel tanks. The owner of the store lived next door to it and during the summer, he would boil peanuts out in his front yard and you could get them right out of the pot. Then walk over to the store and grab an ice cold coke in the glass bottle and walk over to the counter where they had a bottle cap remover screwed to the counter. I worked outside everyday during the summer and we would go here every single day at lunch time!
    rk and GandJ like this.

New User

New.. I visted Miami twice. Well Hialeah for my gf and I rather live their then NJ here

rk

That's great, I never thought of that before. Will be sure it try it now!

Yea the peanuts in Coca Cola sounds interesting. I now feel obligated to share one of my favorites. You can buy these are Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and some Publix, Almonds covered in powdered Wasabi. It is life changing, has to be my favorite nut snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    You know what I miss from my 'hometown'... Good customer service.
    London has good customer service? I mean I'm sure it's better than here (hard not to be) but I'd never heard of it as being particularly good.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast