Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Marlins' Ballpark - First Picture of Left Field

In case you haven't heard, the City of Miami is building an old fashion baseball park for the Marlins, where the Orange Bowl used to be located. The ballpark is going to have a retractable roof, and behind left field, a framed picture window of downtown Miami.

Here's a view of left field, from the first base side.

View larger sizes

Looks nice, right?

Should be a magnificent way to watch a game.

They promise to have the ballpark complete for the 2012 season.

The estimated construction cost is $515 million. The Marlin's are contributing $155 million and Miami-Dade County is paying the rest.

Personally, I am happy they're building the new ballpark; so much so, Miami Beach 411 and Fred Garvin have decided to invest by purchasing an awesome pair of season tickets, directly behind home plate!

So make sure you contact us if you want to go to a game.

We also purchased the website, MiamiBallpark.com, just to cover our bases.

Any baseball fans in the house?

What are your thoughts about the new ballpark?

Dude, Gus, how did you get that flick? That's AWESOME!!!!

I'm stoked about this new Marlins project. I've never ventured much into sportswriting. But to me, baseball seems like the perfect sportswriter's sport.

Hard as it is to love the Marlins, when the perpetually do shit like trade away moderately-paid fan favorites and schedule home games in Seattle so U2 can have a concert, I'm still excited to see if they can become a legit contender in the new park.

Viva Los Fish!!!

Thumbs up Awesome Pic!

What a great idea! A state of the art ballpark in an ol'skool neighborhood!

With a roof to avoid those nasty rain outs or rain delays!

So, if you have a ticket, you're sure to see a game! Makes a greats deal of sense all around!

Sign me up for tickets!

That website seems like a gr8 way to keep up with the parks progress!

Sounds like another winner Gus!

That picture made the tweet rounds yesterday - Awesome ! There should be a law that states, ballparks need to be entwined with the architecture or skyline of home city.

Don't have on bit of hesitation heading to the Trop for an indoor ballgame. With the shelter of the new stadium, it will be the first time I'll buy marlin tickets in advance.

Does anyone know the team is getting rid of the Florida moniker and going legit with Miami ?
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 02-02-2011 at 08:31 PM.

I have to admit, I am still a little bitter about them tearing down the Orange Bowl, but with the way the Canes have been playing in recent years, it really doesn't matter, does it.

I like that the Marlins will now be called the Miami Marlins instead of the Florida Marlins. Screw the rest of the state. They hate us down here anyway. Let them get their own team.

But I also have a lot of bitterness towards the ownership of the Marlins for reasons that are too long to get into now, but are well-documented.

The bottom line is, if the team starts producing championships, everything can be forgiven.

Default Re: Marlins' Ballpark - First Picture of Left Field

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post

I like that the Marlins will now be called the Miami Marlins instead of the Florida Marlins. Screw the rest of the state. They hate us down here anyway. Let them get their own team.
    Hahaha very good point.

Very cool. The new ballpark should be a big hit. Is it actually official that they will become he Miami Marlins? ... Or, wishful thinking? It makes sense to change it to "MIAMI".

Glenn

No, the name change was part of the stadium deal. Kinda like when Anaheim put up a bunch of money to renovate Angel Stadium in exchange for the team being named Anaheim. Oh, wait........

I have mixed feelings on the name change. Despite the organization being a consistent joke it terms of how it conducts itself, it does have a pretty good winning tradition. And the 2 World Series were won as the FLORIDA Marlins, with the black and teal. Now they're changing the colors too? I'm not sure I like this idea so much....

What are they changing the colors to?

Screw that, the name change must take place because we're the ones getting shafted with the bill.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

They'll be announcing the new team colors on 11-11-2011, and got tight lipped when we asked them what the new color will be.

They also shot us down, when Carlos asked if we could get on the field to take pics, which is understandable, with the ballpark being under construction. But they did they did promise to take us on a sneak peek tour of the field, soon.

Matt, will you please post the dates we have tickets for the 2011 season?

Sure Gus! For 2011 we have tickets for

4/1 - NY Mets (opening Day)
    4/2 - NY Mets
    4/23 - Colorado Rockies
    5/7 - Washington Nationals
    5/11 - Philadelphia Phillies
    5/18 - Chicago Cubs
    5/21 - Tampa Bay Rays
    6/4 - Milwaukee Brewers (we may be planning a mini-meetup for this game or the one before in a Luxury Box)
    6/8 - Atlanta Braves
    6/11 - Arizona Diamondbacks
    7/9 - Houston Astros
    7/23 - New York Mets
    8/6 - St. Louis Cardinals
    8/13 - San Francisco Giants
    9/3 Philadelphia Phillies
    9/28 - Washington Nationals (Closing Day)

Just FYI our seats for 2011 are behind Home Plate in the Club Level. So you don't have to worry about rain or intense sun in your face.
    Last edited by Matt Meltzer; 02-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.