Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Legit Towing Company?

Default Legit Towing Company?

I need my vehicle towed and am reading horror stories about crooked towing companies all over town in cahoots with the local police. Is this city for real?

I look up towing companies and see all one star reviews. The ones with 10 five star reviews - all the reviews are posted within 10 minutes of eachother, which means they were posted by the "company".

That's assuming its even a real company. Go to google maps and zoom out wide on miami, FL. Then type in "towing". You'll see literally hundreds of little red dots, each with a fake towing name, and street view shows nothing but a shitty house in the ghetto.

Two towing companies wanted "cash only" and asked me to let them keep the car in their lot overnight rather than tow it to my destination. I assumed if I did that, the vehicle would be in Latin America by sunrise. Getting sick of this ...

If there's anyone out there who can tell me the name of a legit company that wont steal my car, I'd appreciate it.

hi, i hope i'm not speaking out of turn, since i am brand-spanking-new around here -

but what about contacting Triple AAA for a recommendation? or possibly a dealership for your make of vehicle?

Tried that. BMW Assist has a hotline and they do find towing companies, but I found out quickly enough all they do is open the yellow pages. I got two incredibly shady characters. When I called the BMW dealership they said they absolutley will not recommend a tower. Im on my own.

GEEEZ. that sucks.

but please permit me to say thanks for posting this - extremely useful info for ppl relocating.
    it will make a huge difference in what auto insurance coverage i have when i become a resident. i haven't used Triple AAA in years but might be worth it to get that too -

Good Fella's towing was recommended by Beach Towing. I know Beach Towing (despite having 100 zero star reviews) is a legit company. Theyre all incahoots with the local cops. But at least they're not some asshole sitting in a house in the ghetto who claims to be a towing company. They recommended Good Fella's and there was actually a front desk girl who took my info and coordinated a pick up with me tomorrow. So .... Good Fella's seems to be the most legit *based on vibe* I've run in to so far.
    GILL305 likes this.

You know it's a shady business when the most legit company is named Goodfella's.
    Mario, GILL305 and Matt Meltzer like this.

This is crazy... The garage where you are taking the car to should be able to recommend somebody

I'd call a couple of places and get an estimate. If the average is near AAA's annual rate, it becomes a no-brainer. Join AAA. I pay $164 for AAA Plus. They have less esxpensive plans.

I have yet gotten a car towed, but the discount offerings alone pay for the card.

Okay here's an update and I hope this helps someone in the future.

After spending an hour or two getting "hullo?" when I called all the pseudo towing companies in South Florida, I found the following legit:

1) Good Fella's towing (closely affiliated with Beach Towing). Keep in mind Beach and one other are known for ripping people off by towing cars that aren't illegally parked and then a cop stands there and acts clueless when you try to call for help. However if you are in need of having your car towed and dont want to worry that they'll have it on a boat to Cancun by morning, Good Fella's is legit. They towed me from Miami to Ft Laud and did a professional job on a flat bed.

Good Fellas Towing
    305-444-8040

2) When I got to Ft Lauderdale I had to have my car towed somewhere else and stumbled upon a guy and his wife who own only flat bed trucks. They were recommended by "Elite Tires" in Ft Laud. I was absolutely blown away - impressed with how awesome they were. Not only totally cool people, but the girl can load a car like no-other. Even if its a lowered car which bottoms out a lot. I was so happy to have found them that I asked for her card and so here's their info (she said they service Miami not just Ft Laud):

Chase Towing
    954-520-1044

If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with # 2.

You know it's a shady business when the most legit company is named Goodfella's.
    And their business card is a big italian flag.

-MB-
    rk and GILL305 like this.

You left out the most important info. What is the cost per mile ?

Going back to AAA Plus, the rate for the primary is $90. The $164.00 I quoted was for two members on same account. The Plus membership will tow your car up to 100 miles at no additional cost.

MB - those wheels of yours look squecky clean. I presume you bought a secondary item. The principle terms should have easily included tow services. One would think sll terms transferf as well. ??????

Fairly recently, the folks a MB in Pembroke Pines loaded us with shit loads on a lease. That included a tow package plus bells and whistles.. In fact, I think I'm even entitled to a blow job while I.m waiting for for schedules maintenence.

It's suprising the Bavarian Moter folks aren't offering you any help.

As I mentioned, your car looks sharp. What must suprise all is the need for a puppy being towed. I'm sure there is more to the story.

As I mentioned, your car looks sharp. What must suprise all is the need for a puppy being towed. I'm sure there is more to the story.
    Here's the rest of the story...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To reply to your other comments:

BMW offers towing free of charge, but only to the nearest BMW dealership. That's only 3 miles away from me. Once there, they begin ripping me off with absurd costs and markups on repairs, auto storage, etc. I needed to get this vehicle up to a friends garage where he could jack it up and remove the wheels. Im getting the one fixed, and the other three refurbished. The photo you saw of my car is right after I bought it. My rims look terrible now - mostly because I can't find a fricken car wash in Miami that allows me to use a bucket, and I live in a condo tower with no hose. So my weekly routine of detaling her has fallen apart in my first 3 months living here.

Regarding cost: The reason I didnt mention per mile fee is because the towing situation is *so* bad in Miami that its hard to even find a legitimate towing company. That was the gist of this thread. Beggers can't be choosers, so I was just happy to find someone who wasn't going to put my car on a boat to Cancun while I slept.

I can tell you that the tow was expensive as hell. Good Fella's guy actually showed up with a "Beach Towing" truck so they're affiliated. They charged me $220 to drive from Brickell downtown Miami, 35 miles to Oakland Park up in Ft Lauderdale.

Chase towing took my car from Oakland Park to Boca - it was about 20 miles, for $125.

Default Re: Legit Towing Company?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Those prices are crazy. Another reason not to own a car in Miami.

HWY Robbery.

More reason to get AAA.

I will say I've used AAA for towing here more times than I care to count (2 cars with a combined quarter-million miles on them will do that) and they've all been legit. Yellow Pages or no, I've never had a problem. And I wrefuse to patronize anyone affiliated with Beach Towing.

Check out the story in today's Miami Herald.

Name:  O1bHJ.Em.56.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  12.3 KB

Nearly a dozen disgruntled drivers, after viewing his photograph, said Lopez is the squat, balding man who pulled up behind their stalled vehicle and hustled them. He had them sign a blank receipt, hooked their disabled ride and charged them as much as $900 cash to get it back.

This is one of the most underhanded businesses that can get legal licenses to operate. Be weary of tow companies. I have heard some horror stories about tow companies.

I think a good rule is never let anyone tow your car who cannot confirm he's the person you called. Or with the company you called. If you have AAA, call them and ask what company they sent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast