Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Caring for stray animals?

Default Caring for stray animals?

I'm a bit of an animal person so when I see a stray cat that's skin and bones I feel like I have to feed it. Compared to back in Minneapolis there are tons of strays in this city. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed, and how you guys felt about feeding the strays. In connection at least with male dogs, I've also seen way more dog's that still had their balls than I did back home. Is there a reason that people choose not to get their pets fixed...
    Last edited by rlshea; 06-01-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Many people feed the strays outside their buildings. It is a common sight here.

As for the pets being fixed, I own a betta fish so can't help you on that one

The stray cat issue is a huge problem in South Beach that we've talked about many times here in the forums. One of the more disappointing aspects of Latin cultures (and Miami is one) is that there is a tendency to let animals wander loose in the streets. I was in La Paz, Baja California in Mexico a few years back and found a kitten wandering in the street. I was shocked to discover that there were no animal shelters in the city and that it is illegal in Mexico to have a pet in a hotel room. It's not so different in Miami Beach.

There needs to be a proper spay and release program in Miami Beach but the city would apparently rather spend its money putting exotic grass into a multi-million dollar park renovation.
    Mario likes this.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Interesting observations - when it comes to feeding hungry strays, I feel the same way. I got started with cats, by adopting 2 kittens in South Beach and 4 more in Little Haiti. I live in South Miami, now, and thankfully for my neighbors, there are no stray cats down here. We do have a few hungry possum, who stop by every night.

I think there are a lot of softhearted, cat feeders in Miami. Bill Cooke feeds stray cats. I've seen a cat feeder at The Falls Shopping Center at night, and let's not forget about this lady in Little Havana.

Since there are so many stray cats in South Beach, it would be cool to start an organization that gave people like us free cat food, and helped with transportation to get spayed.

I'll get to work on MiamiBeach411.com/CatRescue.

Quote Originally Posted by rlshea View Post
    Is there a reason that people choose not to get their pets fixed...
    I think it's a cultural thing, along with there being so many people who live on the beach for a few years, and then go back home, but abandon their cat here... That's how we found our first cat, Alejando... He was an indoor cat who got left behind in the "alley", when his owner moved back to Argentina. =(

Default Re: Caring for stray animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'll get to work on MiamiBeach411.com/CatRescue.

Great idea, Gus! I have seen people putting food out for the cats a lot, especially the ones that live under the boardwalk, but there are always so many that go hungry. A good spay and release program would do wonders.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks, Doug. A spay and release program will definitely be included, along with aid and support. I guess the program has been floating around in my head for awhile. Check out this page I found, made around 2003 - http://www.miamibeach411.com/kitty.html
    Doug likes this.

I think that's a great idea, Gus!

Maria, would you say the problem has gotten worse over the years or that it remains about the same as always?

Ever since tennis raquets went with synthetic stringing, it's gotten worse.

Are you guys talking about all the cats at South Point?

The strays are all over South Beach. There are many in the alleys and also in the dunes by the beachwalk.

Gus a program a spay and neuter program like the one your suggesting sounds like a great idea. If there is anything I can do to help make it a reality let me know.

I noticed that I'm not the only one feeding the cat. This morning next to the food I put out a neighbor put out a bowl of milk. On a side note I also found a possum eating the leftovers the cat didn't finish...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I live in South Miami, now, and thankfully for my neighbors, there are no stray cats down here. We do have a few hungry possum, who stop by every night.
    This I got to see for myself last night at 411 HQ! The possums are so CUTE! This one was the baby. Note how the cats are completely unfazed by him.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Maria, would you say the problem has gotten worse over the years or that it remains about the same as always?
    Doug, unfortunately I really wouldn't know. When I lived on the beach my areas didn't have a stray cat issue. And since I moved to the mainland I haven't been there day to day. I'm not surprised by any of this though, since Miami Beach is so urban and congested.

Jess, that baby possum is adorable. When I lived on Sunset Drive many moons ago, we had a family of them that also lived on the property. I also had a possum "friend" who would hang out on my terrace sometimes when I lived on mid-beach.

New User

I was at S. Pointe park about a month ago and there were people actually catching cats in cages. They told me they were going to sterilize them and bring them back. They clip the ears when they are finished. Pretty cool.

Angie that is awesome. It's good to hear someone is doing something to combat the problem without killing the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie.A View Post
    I was at S. Pointe park about a month ago and there were people actually catching cats in cages. They told me they were going to sterilize them and bring them back. They clip the ears when they are finished. Pretty cool.
    A spay/neuter program was started by The Cat Network back on September 26, 2010 on Miami Beach. They bring their mobile animal clinic once a month and sterilize feral cats for free. It is currently funded by $5000 from the City of Miami Beach and $20,000 from a community grant that The Cat Network received. I believe to date 464 cats have been fixed in Miami Beach since September 26, 2010. June 18 is the next spay day and they will hit the 500 mark.

The program is free to anyone bringing in a feral cat from Miami Beach. The program is called The Cat Network's "Miami Beach 3000". A multi-year initiative to sterilize the estimated 3000 feral cats in Miami Beach. www.miamibeach3000.com

All feral cats that are sterilized are ear-tipped to identify them having been sterilized so that if they are trapped again they would be released immediately. All cats are trapped, neutered and returned.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ive had many stray dogs that I have found on the street. And I have kept, or rehomed all of them. I have recently started to take stray reptiles harder to come by but harder to care for in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast