Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default "South Beach" the novel

Hey gang:

Sorry for not being in touch. I just began reading "South Beach" The novel by Brian Antoni. What are your thoughts? Reviews? Are the facts and details about South Beach on the money? Don't give anything away I'm just curious. It takes place in the early 90's as Sobe was on the way back.

Also while on books I read 2 outstanding mystery novels by an author named Sharon Potts. I don't have the titles on me at hand. I get everything from my friendly library or as many of my fellow Baltimoreans say "Libary!" If you read them, do so in order as the second one features many of the same lead characters and their back stories.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I loved the book. Thought it was witty, gritty, and hilarious.

Two thumbs up.

My favorite is Miami Babylon by Gerald Posner. I've read it multiple times and it is a fantastic read about the history of South Beach. At times unintentionally hilarious (every single member of the Miami Policy Academy of 1980 is either still in prison or served time) or just absurdly funny (realtors paid in cash for property, having to count hundreds of thousands of dollars in $20s).

I also really enjoyed Diary of a South Beach Party Girl by Gwen Cooper. More along the lines of Brian Antoni's novel without the violence.

Those sound like good reads. My "to read" list is already way too long I guess it just got a little bit longer. Thanks for sharing.

rk

The best book I've read about Miami Beach is "Sins of South Beach" by Alex Daoud (former mayor of Miami Beach). Told in the first person and based on actual events without much sugar coating. A one-of-a-kind look into Miami Beach law and politics. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/South-Corrupti...dp/1424310784/

Cool Just Finished this book!

Just finished reading "South Beach The Novel." Excellent. It will make you weep, hug, laugh and most of all develop a close friendship to the main characters. And of course there were the total shitheads you'll love to hate as I did. Please keep reccomending other reads that feature Miami Beach as the backdrop and lead character.