Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default A question about travel money?

Probably a bit of a hard question to give a straight answer on as everyone spends differently. When we come over to Miami next year we want to hit all the big clubs, eat some nice food and maybe see a bit of the surrounding areas. The plan is to bring 2000 GBP which is roughly 3300 dollars. Would this be enough for 2 weeks of getting drunk?

Are there any guides around that show the rough costs of things in Miami??

Ta!

Default Re: A question about money

We? how big is your group? If it's 3300 per person you sould be fine. Enough for a nice vacation but it would not hurt to bring a little more money just in case you end up in one of the nice shopping malls.

Armani, Guess, Ralph Lauren and Tommy are a lot cheaper on the other side. Also they love the Euro brands so if your suitcase is full you can sell your old clothes for a decend amount at the second hand boutiques on south beach.

I always budget breakfast $15, lunch $ 25 and dinner $ 40, entry for the clubs $20-50 ($50 handshake not included), cabs $20 and $100 a day for spending but for some reason I'm always at atm's at Lincoln.

And be carefull with your creditcards, its always better to pay cash so you see/feel the money going out.

There are two of us and we'd be taking it each. I'll be sticking to cash for that exact reason, I have enough trouble at home tracking my debit card never mind in the US.

Wow, that DEF should be enough! But does that include the hotel or just spending money?

I know Miami is pricey, but if that is spending money, and that is not enough.... WELL, I'M Gonna GET OUT OF HERE! lol

Well remember tourists tend to spend a LOT more than locals, Dylan.

That said, a night of drinking is $100 easy here, more if you go to clubs. More if it takes a lot to get you drunk. Dropping $200 on drinks in a night at a big club is easy if you need 5-7 drinks to get drunk. Then throw in a shot or whatever, its goes fast. and if you're there until closing at 5, you gotta think you'll have at least 5 drinks.

Just be careful with your money and you'll make $3300 last 2 weeks. But if you start going nuts at big clubs your first few nights you'll be scraping the barrel by the end of your trip. Also, I'm assuming this doesn't include hotel.

Hey, thatís right just spending money. Flights and accommodation are paid for separate. We are staying at the Clevelander which Ive read can be a bit pricey for food.

And your right, fair enough here in the UK its easy to spend over £100 on a night out but thatís maybe once a week. Whereas we are going to be going out and eating out for 2 weeks.

Now this bit you cant hold against me, I'm not the biggest fan but we are also planning on going Wresltemania if we can get the tickets which will be another chunk of money lol. This will be the greatest holiday yet. ha-ha

If you blow through $3300, then OMG well done. I could live on that here, including rent for well over a month.

Even if you went out every day lol.

Jess arent you originally from blighty?? You need to tell me how you got a visa! I work in IT and used to work for a big american bank, being in the middle of the food chain here in england I could only get a mail room job in the US with them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by acky85 View Post
    You need to tell me how you got a visa!
    I get that question on average once a week...

Yes I am from London, came to Miami 3 years ago... loved it and went home, quit my job and came right back.

However... and this is the big catch for you... I am James Bond, as in I have two passports. I have dual nationality from an English parent and an American parent. So even though I was born and raised in London, I am blessed to come and live here... sorry...

If you are serious about coming there are ways to do it. And working for an American company is the first way.

Yeah I left the bank of new york damn it. But everyone I have met thats a brit living in america always has the same story as you. Damn my british parents!

Well go back and work for the bank Or... work for Target. They have offices in London, but they are HUGE over here. Although you won't end up in Miami, more like Minneapolis where they are based. And they have some cold ass winters up there.

I know people here who won the lottery visa or work here for banks. It is possible. If you're in IT, you never know...

And listen, to make you feel better, it's not THAT great over here. No NHS remember? I miss that every day (Yes, don't hurt yourself on your 2 week holiday or that $3k will be going straight to your hospital bill)

I checked that Visa lottery and the UK isn't elligable due to the number of people that have had visas in the last 10 years or something. And how can you miss the NHS everyday, are you accident prone hahaha

Wrestlemania!!!! Awesome, dude. Tickets won't be that hard to get. Tickets for everything are fairly easy to get here as we're pretty apathetic about everything. Enjoy the show though. It's gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by acky85 View Post
    And how can you miss the NHS everyday, are you accident prone hahaha
    Um, in a way. I mean, I ended up in the ER from a dog biting me, and have spent a few thousand this year already on medical bills. Let's just say, it sucks that you can't go to the DR or call for an ambulance without your first thought being, can I afford this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Um, in a way. I mean, I ended up in the ER from a dog biting me, and have spent a few thousand this year already on medical bills. Let's just say, it sucks that you can't go to the DR or call for an ambulance without your first thought being, can I afford this?
    Has Healthcare changed that much since I left? I remember breaking my wrist with some crazy surgery, about 7 years ago and the healthcare my company provided picked up almost all of it. After the deductible of course.

Either way...in Switzerland it's not fun, about 300-400 a month per person, law requires that you have healthcare to live here, each doctors visit is 175, which go towards your deductible. Typically 1000 a year deductible before they start picking up the bills. Even if you hit the deductible, you actually get a bill, which you then have to pay in 30 days. Now you can take the bill and forward it to the health insurance company, which will reimburse you, but it takes about 1 month...btw did I mention everytime you are late on a bill in Switzerland you get a fine of 25-30 bucks? Vicious circle

Taking about NHS...I was in the uk for business and my buddy also from out of town dislocated his shoulder..we went to the hospital, they took his name and treated him...so there were 0 questions about being out of town. Waited, treated and left...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Wrestlemania!!!! Awesome, dude. Tickets won't be that hard to get. Tickets for everything are fairly easy to get here as we're pretty apathetic about everything. Enjoy the show though. It's gonna be awesome.
    All about the peoples champ

We rrrrreally want ring side and take a sign that only british folk (mainly british folk) will know, monty python or something. From what I read ring side are like $700 which is probably to much!

Default Re: A question about travel money?

Oh, ringside? Yeah, that ain't cheap. But it's a huge stadium

The Rock is a University of Miami alumnus, you know. I know he's gonna be in the Main Event. Maybe Davey Boy Smith will make an appearance for you,. Oh wait....

Hahaha harsh. Yeah its the Rock vs John Cena as the main event, my mate mentioned the rock is from Florida so there is no chance he is actually going to lose in his home state. haha Not that its at all fixed!

Not fixed at all. The Rock isn't actually FROM Florida, he I think grew up in Hawaii or something. But he played college football at Miami so that's the connection.