• 3 Post By acky85
  • 1 Post By acky85
  • 1 Post By acky85
  • 2 Post By acky85
  • 1 Post By demon
  • 1 Post By Michelle

Thread: My Two Weeks in Miami

Default My Two Weeks in Miami

I thought after having spent two weeks in South Beach it might be worth while doing a little write up. I did try to make a mental diary of what happened, but two weeks is a loooong time when deprived of sleep and consuming so much Vodka.

Hotel: Clevelander, 1020 Ocean Drive.
    I cant really say anything negative about the hotel, but that said I probably won't stay there again. Its clean, the rooms are what you need. The staff are amazing. But being from England we really love a pool to chill out around during the day and this was the only down side. I heard the hotel had to choose between the pool or the stage they have over it and ultimately chose to use the stage. We spent most days on the C Level Roof top which is great for catching the sun. The service by the girls up there was good but exceptional by Fabiana (Australian girl who reminded me of a duracell bunny on acid). The food at the hotel was OK. It didn't taste bad but was just to much for my English palette. To much salt/grease/fat. This was the same for the whole of Ocean drive, I just couldn't stomach the portions! Probably just me more than the actual places selling bad food. We were a little jet lagged on the Tuesday so had a few in Mangos and then headed home for sleep!

Weds:
    We walked from Clevelander right down the beach to the harbour and then spent the day walking up and down Collins,
    Washington, Espanola Way and Lincoln Road. Flip flops were a bad idea and my feet were ruined by the time we had finished!!!
    Weds night we headed straight to Liv. We had a few drinks in the lobby area and then once people had started to gather at the ropes we headed over to see what was what. Its very different from the UK. We like to wait in line for our turn to get in. This was chaos, no line, nothing. Just a free for all. Alas it wasn't to hard to get in (it was a Weds after all) One of the doorman ushered us in and away we went on our first night out in Miami.
    Liv is just my type of club. It plays the same amazing house music we get in the UK but in plusher surroundings. We drank, got drunk and seemed to attract lots of attention from Chinese girls. That was until we were dragged of by some strange man (yet to be identified). He took us to his table on the 'dance floor' where we had a little more Vodka and Champaign. I asked one of the girls whos table it was and it was something to do with Luis Vuitton but to this day I still have no idea who they all were. Dress for the evening: Shoes, slim jeans, T-Shirt, Fitted suit jacket). Night out score 10/10.

Thurs:
    If memory serves me right I think we chilled on the roof top all day recovering from getting in at 6am. We decided we wanted to try Mokai tonight but on arrival we were told it was a private party until 12 (we didn't believe him). We headed over to the W to have a few drinks before trying Mokai again but on leaving the W a promoter pointed us in the direction of Louis. We didn't want to give the doorman the satisfaction of turning us down again so we headed to Louis. Love this place!!! Mainly for the barmaid Brianna, tattoos, black glasses and amazingly hot! We spent the evening drinking vodka and shots courtesy of Brianna. Towards the end of the night we got talking to a couple of girls from NY (originally from the Ukraine). I've still no idea how that happened but oh well! We all headed of to Mynt at around 4am and somehow (probably due to the Eastern European models) we got straight in. Few more Vodkas and we left to spend a little time talking to the girls. Dress for the evening: Shoes, slim jeans, Shirt . Night out score 12/10.

Fri:
    Again I can't remember what we did during the day (this is a recurring theme). Liv was amazing on a Weds so back again we went on the Friday. This time dressed a little smarter and a little more 'british'. Few drinks at the bar the same as last time then we headed to the ropes. Verrrrry different from last time. Lots of girls and tables being ushered in. I expected this so no problem. After about an hours wait I managed to get the attention of a doorman and he let us in. More Vodka and Chinese girls later we were raving away on the dance floor till 4am. The bar staff in this place are great and all stunning. The only thing we found is the price changed depending on who served us. Obviously we stayed with the one who charged us the least but was also down right gorgeous!! We left the club to meet the girls from the previous night who had been to the opening of Bamboo and then somewhere else. Attempted Set, Mynt etc but nobody was interested. Dress for the evening: Shoes, slim jeans, Shirt . Night out score 10/10.

Sat:
    Saturday was a loooooong day! But a good one. We met one of the girls from the other night and headed to the bar at the W. Few drinks there and we moved on to Wall. Having an attractive girl in your group really does help. We jumped the line at Wall and headed to the side of the rope and were brought straight in. The place does get toooooo busy but its such a good atmosphere, everyone is just there to rave, drink and have fun! Spent an hour or so there and grabbed a taxi to Space. My friend had a V neck t-shirt on. Smart and well fitted as he goes the gym alot but the bouncer said collars only. $500 later and a table, not having a collar wasnt to much of an issue! This place was insane. we stayed until 8am (early I know but we had a busy day on Sunday). We got caught up in the triathlon traffic on the way back across the bridge. No traffic could pass so we walked a little grabbed a McDonalds breakfast and picked up another taxi once we have passed the triathlon. Arriving home at 9:40 was horrendous! Dress for the evening: Military boots, slim jeans, Vneck, Suit Jacket. Night out score 11/10.

Sun:
    I slept.... alll day. Then it was Wrestlemania. Wooo woo wooo. Taxis were horrible so we ended up sharing a stretched hummer with a couple from New Jersey I think. Wrestlemania was an experience. Great atmosphere, just a shame I felt so bad from Space. We were done for the evening after that so I went to say goodbye to my Ukrainian friend and my mate went to bed.

Monday:
    I believe we headed to Lincoln Road shops and stayed in Monday evening to relax for once. This might have even been the first time we ate at Betsy Hotel (in my opinion the only nice food on ocean drive).

OK that'll do for the first half of my write up. I need a cigarette and should probably do a little work. Sorry for the poor spelling/grammar/punctuation. My excuse is I'm at work
    mirna, Mario and Christy like this.

Default Re: My Two Weeks in Miami

OK weeeeeek 2.

Tuesday:
    We headed towards Cameo but didn't like the look of the crowd so back to Louis it was! Alot busier than the Thursday and a little more focus on house music. We had a little run in with some arse at the bar who refused to move after he had bought his drink, blocking the way for anyone else to buy a drink. He claimed to be from homeland security and informed my friend he would never be allowed back in the US ha-ha! Courtesy of me being refereshed from not going out the night before and our fav barmaid Brianna feeding us more shots I was a little worse for wear and dont remember the last hour, leaving or getting back to the hotel. I think it was a good night though!!
    Dress for the evening: Shoes, slim jeans, Shirt. Night out score ??/10.
    Weds:
    Mansion! Love this place as much as I love Liv. Its a close call between the two. I love the setup of both clubs. Both have a great atmosphere the lightning in Mansion is just insane. We stood in line for a little and then decided on buying a bottle. They had no tables left so we just got a bottle at the bar. Not a bad deal when it gets you entry too. My friend got talking to some American girls from New York (everyone seemed to be from New York!!) so the bar tab got a little out of hand but then we were on holiday. I think we left when the music stopped and the doorman asked us to leave. We had a nice 'chat' with some more girls on the way home (yey for the british accent) grabbed a burger king and that was the night done.
    Dress for the evening: Shoes, slim jeans, Shirt without a collar. Night out score 10/10.
    Thursday:
    And back to Liv we go. Again a few drinks in the Bar. We had bought tickets online as it worked out a little cheaper. The vibe was very different tonight. It stayed dead for a loooong time. No Chinese girls, no weirdos dragging us to a table. We got drunk and chatted amongst ourselves putting the world to rights.

Friday:
    More sunbathing. In a random turn of events my Ukrainian friend had come back from a show in Texas to see me in Sobe for 4 more days. My friend had decided going out all those nights in a row would be a bad idea so stayed in Friday. I went to eat at an Italian on Lincoln Road. Ive just tried to find it now as it was really nice but I cannot remember the name. I know it was narrow and only had restrooms for one person as a time...

Sat:
    Sushi Samba. My first experience of Sushi and it was nice. I like my steak blue so I figured uncooked fish would be fine. Not all to my liking and we avoided Eel but in general it was nice and I'd go again. We headed to Mansion a little later than we usually would and once again having a girl in your group worked wonders. Two lines of people waiting to get in we got out of the taxi and the guy called us over jumping ahead of a lot of people. My friend and I were both in shock that we got in so easy and ahead of so many people so late.
    The DJ playing was from England and boooooy was he good. The best music of my entire trip and alot better than many of the worlds best DJ's I have seen. If he is ever in Miami again I'd suggest you take a trip out.. https://twitter.com/#!/michael_woods

Sun:
    Sunday was a little rough. Feeling horrible I had a Burger King prior to going to Nikki Beach. Alot of English people here. Very laid back, didn't seem to be any set dress code or any organised line at the entrance. We got drunk danced and then headed for some pizza on the corner of Collins and 9th I think it was.

Monday:
    Our last day and knowing we have a long flight ahead of us we didn't go out. We ate at Betsy Hotel one last time and called it a night.

In Conclusion:
    All in all the place is amazing, literally amazing. I know the grass always looks greener on the other side but if someone were to give me a green card I would jump at the chance. We will be back next year 100% but probably try and stay at a hotel around the W. That's where we spent most of our time. There is lots I've missed but my fingers are getting tired lol.

The views, cars, women, clubs, shopping, the local heros (like the guy that stands outside the clevelander dressed as a cheerleader from the longest yard movie), everything about this place is amazing and I cannot put into words how much I miss Miami. My long term plan of moving to the US (L1 Visa) is in its very very very initial stages but hopefully one day I will be there :P

Enjoy your city and if you get a bit bored come to Manchester to realise how amazing you have it :P
    Last edited by acky85; 04-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Christy likes this.

Please keep writing!!!!!!

This is so fantastic I am making it a Sticky post for a while So it will stay at the top and be easily found. This is what two weeks in Miami should be!

Only thing that was weird is Space? I have never dressed up to go there and never seen anyone in a collar? How strange.

And Liv, totally agree. Us Brits like to queue up (Or line up as the Yanks say.) Club doors are a clusterf**k here.

Jess we joked about it while waiting. We queue for anything. If there are 3 people stood in a row someone will stand behind them wondering what they are waiting for.

I had the feeling being English would have its benefits but we both found we had to improve our pronunciation to be understood which just exaggerated things and ultimately worked even better. Speaking to Australians we could relax and use our normal slang and miss letters of words etc and the Australians would still understand you.

I've just remembered we met some guys from Ft Lauderdale who invited us to go out on his Yacht ha-ha. I still have his number in my phone but never followed through with doing it. Wow I miss Miami
    Jess likes this.

No one understands me half the time. The slang is a problem.

As for the Brits loving to line up, if you lived here, you would miss that, trust me!

You had a crazier two weeks than I have had in a while living here. Working does get in the way of a fun social life.

dress code at space?! something had to be up that bouncers ass cause i always go there in just plain tshirt and jeans and never have issues.

Hi acky!

I did a study abroad in Manchester in college and aside from the weather it was really fun to go out there. It sounds like you had an awesome Miami experience! It's funny how you just end up meeting girls and having champagne at someone else's table..that's how it usually happens..basically everyone out is in a great mood so you never know where the night will take you.

I love that you gave your mynt night a 12/10!

wpns4l
    - Yeah we figured that. He was turning a few people away but once inside there were loads in t-shirts and v-necks etc.
    Christy -
    Yeah that was a really good night

I have just over 500 photos so wont post them all but here are a few!

This is the chap that invited us to his table (incase anyone has ever seen him before)

Name:  150948_10151549513690052_841820051_23766709_412532032_n.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  35.4 KB
    Quick shot of Liv
    Name:  Liv.jpg
Views: 6540
Size:  58.1 KB

Me Drunk
    Name:  Me drunk.jpg
Views: 4117
Size:  34.4 KB
    Michael Woods at Mansion
    Name:  michael woods.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  40.4 KB
    Wrestlemania
    Name:  wrestlemania.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by acky85; 04-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    mirna and rosebudd like this.

Great photos, thanks for posting! The Chinese guy has a glow stick round his head, too funny.

New User

really great experience.. i am so willing to go there.You have got so good writing skills and these pics are really awesome. I am definitely going there in next vacations.
    mirna likes this.

Hi acky85!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to tell us about your trip and posting photos! It is so helpful to those who visit and just have no clue about clubs, and how to dress. Your descriptions are awesome!

Talk about having stamina! Wow, I would have been DONE after the 1st 2 days; call me old

Unfortunately, when you live here, work does get in the way. But hey, come back and see us again next year!!
    Christy likes this.

Is that the crazy Asian guy from Hangover? JK! The thing that shocked me the most in the photos is in the pic of LIV I see a woman wearing a knee length skirt??!! What??

In the you drunk pic I see a guy in khakis and and a striped polo..what's going on?? Are the doormen getting lax? Anyway, I'm glad you're drinking water in the drunk pic!

Christy, if those people turned up at the door and said, "I want to buy 5 bottles and no prob I have 10k to do so", any one of those doormen would be letting them in.

Damn good post. Thanks for taking the time.

Jess: I don't think that guy is Chinese. I'd bet Peruvian...but what do I know.

Same here, no clue!

acky85 next time, I'll party with you!

You have done more things in days than I've done in years of living here

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Two weeks !

By day five I'm found saying; " Hey Toots ! Had enough ? Let's leave tomorrow."

Don't get me wrong. I love Miami, but it gets sedentary after a few days. I'm sure if I grew up in Boswell, IN I'd be begging to stay.

Two weeks away from Miami and I'm begging to go back.

New User

This kinda is a complete guide to be a tourist in Miami !!!