Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Going to Bahia Honda for the weekend

I'm heading down to Bahia Honda State park for the weekend. I've never camped there before, but the reviews look great. Any suggestions that forum members can provide on any hidden spots in the Keys, are welcome.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: Going to Bahia Honda for the weekend

Hey Mario, sounds like a fun mini-vacation. Make sure to bring a mask and snorkel. In Bahia Honda, you can snorkel right of the beach.

Any plans to drive into Key West? Old Town is only about 40 minutes from where you're camping.

You can find some good tips about things to do in the Keys in Maria's thread:

Maria's Keys and Key West Adventure

Jess says she always makes it a point to visit the Garden of Eden nudist bar, whenever she's in Key West. Although she assures us that she always keeps her clothes.

We recently spent a fun days in the Keys with Glenn and Janet. They drove us through a really cool seaside community, I believe it was called Little Palm Island. If you want to see some classic Keys waterfront homes, check it out. It only takes about 15 minutes to drive through.

Hi Mario, check out this photo essay I posted here on Bahia Honda:

Florida Keys: Scenic Bahia Honda State Park (Pictures)

It was a lot of fun, but a very different pace from Miami! The water is sooo shallow, you can barely snorkel unless you go really far out. You can also rent kayaks, which would be great fun.

Haha Gus, giving away all my secrets! But yes, Garden of Eden is always a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    We recently spent a fun days in the Keys with Glenn and Janet. They drove us through a really cool seaside community, I believe it was called Little Palm Island. If you want to see some classic Keys waterfront homes, check it out. It only takes about 15 minutes to drive through.

Gus -

That community was on Duck Key (same island where "Hawks Cay" Resort is also located). We had a great time with you and Michelle. .
    Duck Key is accessible near mile marker 61, and will be a left turn when heading down the keys. Mario, it's about 30-45 minutes before you get to Bahia Honda. By the way, Bahia Honda is one of our favorite places. I've taken lots of photos there. There is a beach on both the "gulf/bay side" and another on the "ocean side". It is one of the few natural sand beaches in the keys.

Have a great time!

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 05-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Hi Mario, check out this photo essay I posted here on Bahia Honda:

Florida Keys: Scenic Bahia Honda State Park (Pictures)

It was a lot of fun, but a very different pace from Miami! The water is sooo shallow, you can barely snorkel unless you go really far out. You can also rent kayaks, which would be great fun.

Doug -

Great photos!!! I always found it amusing that Bahia Honda means "Deep Bay" when the water is so shallow. Then again, my Spanish could be off. I had also thought that Islamorada meant "gray island", but Gus clued me in that ot means "purple island".

Glenn

Thanks, Glen! I guess whoever named it must have had an ironic sense of humor!

Hey guys! I'm back. I had a great time in the Keys. I went kayaking, saw the old bridge, the park has a small nature trail. Some parts of the beach are beautiful, but I'm not sure about the "Best Beach in America 1992" recognition. Maybe that title causes people to have higher than normal expectations.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I wasn't very impressed with the beach at Bahia Honda, either. Both times I've been, the beach smelled bad, because of all the dead seaweed on the shore. I thought it might be a seasonal thing. Did you see/smell a lot of dead seaweed?

Did you go snorkel, or just kayak?

Yep, some parts smelled pretty bad, and had tons of mosquitoes. There was sea weed all over. I kayaked and snorkeled around the beach area, but I didn't take the park's special snorkel trip.