Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Default Carrying European supermarket foods on a flight into Miami

Hi all,

Long time no see, but I'm still here

I've family coming over next month, direct flight from Lisboa, Portugal. Of course my (Portuguese) wife is dying to have them drag in all kinds of Portugese food items that are very difficult or impossible to get here.

Now these things are not bleeding dead animal parts, worm-infested fruits, running cheeses with fungus, or bulbs with soil and insect eggs.

We're talking regular European supermarket items: cans of stuff 'best before 2017', dry powder beef and chicken stock cubes in aluminium foil, dry herbs in hermetically sealed dispensers, aluminium tubes of tomato paste, sachets of freeze-dried dissolvable coffee, etc. And this all from regular big-brand supermarkets and in 'personal use only' quantities -- five of each.

My idea was to have the family declare these items on the white customs form and keep them apart in a few clear plastic zipper bags for presentation at the customs office guy (the one just before you enter the arrivals hall at MIA, the one always waving you through if he is not busy with his cell phone ). Better this way than getting caught for basically innocent items.

However maybe the people on this Forum know of incidents that better outline what goes and what not.

And yes I've read this:
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
    but I'd like to elicit Forum members tall stories ...

Thanks,

Dutchie
    Last edited by Hoppie; 05-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: Carrying European supermarket foods on a flight into Miami

I travel home from England all the time with food. And when I say food, I mean an entire suitcase full of it. I have always missed food from home, and since I was diagnosed with a food allergy I go nuts when I go home. I bring back everything. What use is a gluten free oreo when I did not grow up eating oreos? No, I want the UK stuff from my youth, and if they make it gluten free, it comes home with me. Plus gravy mixes, chocolate, pasta, dry cheeses, cakes, soup stock... you name it, I have it. I even bring back mayonaise!

I do not ever declare it, or mention it to anyone. No one ever questions me. And if they did, I'd just tell them I need it. Also my other English friend here does the same, and did get stopped and as all the food was sealed, they let her pass. So my advice would be to not say anything and not worry about it. If its packed and sealed, there should be no issue.

there ARE specific rules regarding meats, as i understand, an example of which prevents one from bringing into the US the famous 'smoked meat" from montreal

That is true, and as I am a vegetarian, I do not bring meat back with me.

rk

Other than meat or poultry, the only item in your list likely to be a problem is the "dry herbs". If it's not really important I would skip it. If it is important then bring it, there's about a 10% chance it will be inspected and confiscated. If your list is as you indicated and does not contain any meat/poultry (even cooked or dried) then you don't need to declare it specifically.

It pertains more to agricultural products because of the health risks I believe. General rule if there's not a large tax on it (alcohol, tobacco) or a health risk then nobody's gonna bother you.