Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By rk
  • 1 Post By miamisun76

Thread: How Nikki Beach got its name

Default How Nikki Beach got its name

" This is nikki beach in St tropez the owner named it after his daughter that died in an auto accident there are about 20 nikki beaches around the world " - Cherif Zein

I didn't know that.

Cherif is a very old friend of mine. Even though I don't mingle in FB, I restrict my account to immediate family and of course, Cherif.
    Needless to say, I'm enjoying his European travels his Summer.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/cherifsoccer

Default Re: How Nikki Beach got its name

Interesting fact, Nikki obviously had to be someone, now we know who.

The one in St. Tropez was the original right?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    The one in St. Tropez was the original right?
    Well, no. Blackford's quote is correct in a way, but leaves the wrong impression that Nikki Beach was named after someone in St. Tropez. The first and original Nikki Beach is the one in Miami Beach, launched in 1996 (the one in St. Tropez started in 1998). The one in Miami Beach is in fact named after Nicole Penrod (daughter of the owner, Jack Penrod). Nicole died in a car accident in 1987. Many of you will remember that Nikki Beach was called Penrod's Beach Club in the early 90's (a branch of the original Penrod's in Ft. Lauderdale). In those days there wasn't much south of fifth other than Joe's and Penrod's. During the 90's Penrod's also had the beach umbrella and chair concessions in south beach (instead of Boucher Bros).

There's a good summary at this link: http://www.blackbookmag.com/nightlif...beach1-1.34857
    from which we see the big night used to be Mondays. Here's an excerpt from the interview with Jack Penrod:

My young daughter, Nicole, died in a car accident in 1987. In order to deal with my emotional situation, I created a garden for her at Penrod's Beach Club in South Beach. She would have loved the garden by the sea. I had no intention of making a business out of it, but one day two young guys showed up who wanted to have a Monday night party there. At first, I said no, but they were the same age as Nicole, so I gave in. It grew from the Monday night party in the late 1990s, and every celebrity from Cameron Diaz to Harrison Ford to Al Pacino was there on a Monday night. Eric Omores eventually came to us, and he’d been doing clubs all his life. He wanted to expand it to the beach with a French style beach club, and that’s how Nikki Beach was born.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Well, no. Blackford's quote is correct in a way, but leaves the wrong impression that Nikki Beach was named after someone in St. Tropez. The first and original Nikki Beach is the one in Miami Beach, launched in 1996 (the one in St. Tropez started in 1998). The one in Miami Beach is in fact named after Nicole Penrod (daughter of the owner, Jack Penrod). Nicole died in a car accident in 1987. Many of you will remember that Nikki Beach was called Penrod's Beach Club in the early 90's (a branch of the original Penrod's in Ft. Lauderdale). In those days there wasn't much south of fifth other than Joe's and Penrod's. During the 90's Penrod's also had the beach umbrella and chair concessions in south beach (instead of Boucher Bros).

There's a good summary at this link: http://www.blackbookmag.com/nightlif...beach1-1.34857
    from which we see the big night used to be Mondays. Here's an excerpt from the interview with Jack Penrod:
    once again, from high up in his multi-million dollar continuum penthouse, RK, proves he is "Da Man!"

Wow rk, thank you so much, that is really interesting history about a South Beach icon. Those parties are infamous still, it's funny to think that's how it all started. They have clubs all over the world now.

I remember reading that Nikki Beach was named after someone in the Penrod family. Thanks for reminding me, rk.

I was mulling going to St. Tropez today and opted not to. Glad I did not miss the original. I went to the one in Reno when it existed, so seeing another branch of the chain would not have been worth the 2 trains and a bus.

Thank you for the history lesson, rk ~ and thank you Blackford for starting it

It's amazing how long they have been around; a definite South Beach institution.

I had always assumed it was named after a girl but never thought so much as to look in to the story thanks for the lesson. I was also surprised to see that it has only been called Nikki Beach since 1996 for some reason I thought it had held that name longer.

We strive to head to the Nikki Beach area when heading to SB. Having the help serve the beacdh goers is a huge advantage.

Sushi is usually ordered ... but have you seen those sushi spreads served up in St Tropaz ?

I've seen pictures via my friends who were the via Facebook. Not a Sushi fan so I'm not jealous. But impressive nonetheless.

New User

Nikki Beach was named after Jack Penrod's daughter, Nicole Lauren Penrod. She was killed in a car accident on Ives Dairy Road in Aventura on May 18, 1997 not 1987 as a few people have written. One of my friends is friends with her parents, and there is an article about the accident from 1997 on Sun Sentinel's archives. She was only 18 years old, and about to graduate high school in two weeks from the date of the accident.
    rk likes this.

New User

I don't know why the article says 1987, it was 1997.

rk

miamisun, thanks for pointing out the mistake. Yes it was 1997, not 1987, which I copied over from the article without giving any thought. Of course it was after that the club was renamed from Penrod's to Nikki Beach.

Here's the link to the Sun Sentinel article from 1997 about the accident:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...ar-miami-beach